• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Large Capacity Magazine Sale Legality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Misery... um... let me rephrase that...
I'm a resident of Missouri! That's it!
New to your forum, though active on others that are firearms related, and I have a question.

I posted for sale using an online firearms auction site, some 30 round magazines for a Ruger Mini 14 that are pre-ban manufacture.
The individual that won the auction is a resident of MA and does hold a class A license.
My first thought is that it would not be legal for me to complete the auction as MA has a magazine capacity restriction of 10 rounds.
This individual informed me that in fact was not the case and that the sale was perfectly legal. They went so far as to say that if I was not comfortable shipping directly to them I could ship instead to their FFL holder that does transfers for them.
I've been on the phone with several different departments within the MA Attorney General's office, local and state law enforcement agencies, and even the ATF though it is a state law trying to get a definitive answer. More than a dozen total.
Most each and every individual that I spoke to insisted that it would be illegal for me to complete the auction, a couple admitted that they really weren't sure if it would or would not be.
Only three provided reference to MA general law to support their determination that it would not be legal for me to complete the auction.
Those references directed me to MA General Laws chapter 140, sections 131E and 131M.
When I read those section of chapter 140 it seems to me that I've not been told the truth by the powers that be, or there is some sort of disconnect in interpretation of what the law says.
I am asking here hoping to get a definitive answer from those who most likely know, and can point me to some documentation to support that answer.

Is it legal for me as a Missouri resident to complete this auction and mail 30 round capacity pre-ban magazines to an MA resident who holds a class A license?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
Thanks,
Turkee

I've been on the phone with several different departments within the MA Attorney General's office, local and state law enforcement agencies, and even the ATF though it is a state law trying to get a definitive answer. More than a dozen total.

wait what? is this maura?

New to your forum, though active on others that are firearms related, and I have a question.

I posted for sale using an online firearms auction site, some 30 round magazines for a Ruger Mini 14 that are pre-ban manufacture.
The individual that won the auction is a resident of MA and does hold a class A license.
My first thought is that it would not be legal for me to complete the auction as MA has a magazine capacity restriction of 10 rounds.
This individual informed me that in fact was not the case and that the sale was perfectly legal. They went so far as to say that if I was not comfortable shipping directly to them I could ship instead to their FFL holder that does transfers for them.
Most each and every individual that I spoke to insisted that it would be illegal for me to complete the auction, a couple admitted that they really weren't sure if it would or would not be.
Only three provided reference to MA general law to support their determination that it would not be legal for me to complete the auction.
Those references directed me to MA General Laws chapter 140, sections 131E and 131M.
When I read those section of chapter 140 it seems to me that I've not been told the truth by the powers that be, or there is some sort of disconnect in interpretation of what the law says.
I am asking here hoping to get a definitive answer from those who most likely know, and can point me to some documentation to support that answer.

Is it legal for me as a Missouri resident to complete this auction and mail 30 round capacity pre-ban magazines to an MA resident who holds a class A license?

Thanks,
Turkee

Not sure if serious... if they are PRE BAN they are most certainly legal to send into MA... and MA is one of the few states where crap like that still has value.

-Mike

Yes, Pre-Ban are perfectly legal to own in MA. Post-Ban are a felony to posses. And as someone mentioned, the liability is on the person that has possession of said magazines within the State.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Turkee

Sounds like a lot of trouble to go through for a sale of some magazines

Thanks,
Turkee

Why would you advertise it as pre-ban yet not ship it to a ban state? This is why I don't go on gunbroker.

Why would you advertise it as pre-ban yet not ship it to a ban state? This is why I don't go on gunbroker.

Probably because a bunch of other people told him about MA COOTIES and went around flapping their arms and shitting their pants about how terrible MA is and it will give someone aids for sending a piece of metal that's not even a controlled part into it. [rofl]

-Mike

Maura, Just have them sent to your office and you can pick them up when no one is looking.

All he needed to do is check the classifieds in this forum to see that pre-ban mags are for sale and/or sold.

Ummmm ok.. obviously you guys are not of the caliber of the fellas I'm used to dealing with on some of the other forums. I should have known as my ex-wife was born and raised in Tewksbury.
Google my username, it is the same username that I've used on several other firearms forums for quite a few years now.
I could not honestly tell you if these are pre-ban or not personally, but the winning bidder of the auction told me that he could tell by looking at them that they were, I'm supposing brand identification by specific features?
By the way, I did not pick for the winning bidder to be a resident of a state with a magazine capacity restriction, the auction said plainly WHERE LEGAL. That's not exactly something that I have control over, who chooses to bid or where they live.
So you know, the reason that I came to this forum to ask is because it was suggested by another user on another forum that I frequent where I posed the same question.
You guys are real cracker jacks, thanks for the help.
Say hello to the maur-whatever for me.
*just shakes his head*

Ummmm ok.. obviously you guys are not of the caliber of the fellas I'm used to dealing with on some of the other forums. I should have known as my ex-wife was born and raised in Tewksbury.
Google my username, it is the same username that I've used on several other firearms forums for quite a few years now.
I could not honestly tell you if these are pre-ban or not personally, but the winning bidder of the auction told me that he could tell by looking at them that they were, I'm supposing brand identification by specific features?
By the way, I did not pick for the winning bidder to be a resident of a state with a magazine capacity restriction, the auction said plainly WHERE LEGAL. That's not exactly something that I have control over, who chooses to bid or where they live.
So you know, the reason that I came to this forum to ask is because it was suggested by another user on another forum that I frequent where I posed the same question.
*just shakes his head*

Just sell to someone else if you're unsure/uncomfortable of the sale. Either way you'll get your money, right?

You said in the first post they are pre-ban, but then you said you can't tell? Which is it?

*just shakes his head*

Don't get all bent out of shape just yet. Do a little research into what just happened to our brothers and sisters down in Massachusetts. Going onto a northeast gun forum isn't like any you've probably experienced. People here are the battered wives of the firearms community. They live under draconian and intentionally vague legislation, with goalposts constantly being moved in order to remain compliant.

Thanks,
Turkee

[wave]

Wait. Is your ex-wife hot? [smile] (NES mandatory, sorry)

If you have pics/description of the mags, go ahead and post the specifics, we may be able to help (or maybe not). Otherwise if you're not comfortable, then don't do it. But it's on the buyer to know fer sure.

*just shakes his head*

Just ignore them. There are a few numbskulls on this thread. Its a bit inbred if you're used to other forums. Thanks for sending the mags our way. No, I did not order these but I've unfortunately been running into people on other forums who won't send anything to this state now because the laws are so F'd up.

*just shakes his head*
is the Ex hot? Post some pictures.

If you read my second post bill o, I explained that I don't actually know myself. The winning bidder told me that he could tell from the photo that was in the auction. You want me to post that photo? Maybe you know?

You're right MachineHead, but color me an idiot for having a conscience and feeling as if I'd be doing the guy an injustice by not following through with the auction.

It's a simple question, somehow it doesn't seem to be a simple answer when asking the law or representatives of it.
Coming here to ask thinking that it would be more or less going straight to the source and getting information from people in the know so to speak... seems like a waste of effort to me. Pity.

ar15.com has a reference section with a list of mfrs and info on pre-ban mags (and ARs by S/N, just FYI) that could help you ID if they are indeed pre-ban.

If they are, they are perfectly legal to sell to MA inmates, as they are "grandfathered" as legal.

Well I looked for a way to post a photo from my pc but it looks like the only way is to post one from a url.
Not sure I can get around that but I'll try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom