• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Large Capacity Magazine Sale Legality

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read my second post bill o, I explained that I don't actually know myself. The winning bidder told me that he could tell from the photo that was in the auction. You want me to post that photo? Maybe you know?

You're right MachineHead, but color me an idiot for having a conscience and feeling as if I'd be doing the guy an injustice by not following through with the auction.

It's a simple question, somehow it doesn't seem to be a simple answer when asking the law or representatives of it.
Coming here to ask thinking that it would be more or less going straight to the source and getting information from people in the know so to speak... seems like a waste of effort to me. Pity.

We're a little on edge around here. We got throat punched on 7/20/16 and everyone is a little riled up right now.

Hey Turkee, we dont mean any offense. Its common knowledge around here that the forum is monitored by the state. The references to "Maura" refer to Maura Healy, our dirtbag Attorney General who recently took it upon herself to "reinterpret" the law regarding "assault weapons" to mean something completely different than what had been accepted since 1994. She didnt bother to get the Legislature involved either. How convenient, huh?

Anyway, new guys posting about such a topic rattles our tinfoil a bit. [laugh] Hope you stick around.

Typically on the forums that I'm accustomed to an individual can upload an attachment and then post it as an image in a thread. I'm guessing that is not the case here and it has to be done from a url?

All I can say guys is you've got some real assclowns hanging around. That tends to negate the legitimacy of what you're trying to do with this forum, what you believe, what you support, what you stand for. In all honestly those things are probably identical to what I believe, support, and stand for. Not mentioning how it actually reflects on the forum members as a whole to people on the outside, just seems like something that should be taken into consideration.

63c63542fb.jpg

OK, found an image hosting site and used it to upload that pic of the magazines that were in the auction.
There are zero marking on them of any kind so I don't know who the manufacturer is or when they were made.
Pardon my ignorance on the issue but are they pre-ban like the winning bidder said?

Be aware, LE in MA really know nothing of the MA gun laws. This is proven time after time.

Neither does the ATF, as a whole. I was a third party to a convo where an NH gun dealer was asking an ATF agent whether or not it was legal to sell a neutered AK to a friend of mine. The ATF agent blew smoke up his ass and said no. (this was waaaaaaay before the AG edict) .

-Mike

Pre-ban mags that hold more than 10 rounds are legal to possess in MA but ONLY when the recipient has a class-A LTC (license to carry) which allows possession of high capacity mags. If you want to be comfortable about the sale, have him send a copy of his LTC-A and ship it to the address listed on it. Then you've done your due diligence.

Thanks jpm, I gleaned that from reading what I did in your laws. That was why I started believing that the powers that be there were giving me 'misinformation' or flat out lying to me.
Any chance that there is something somewhere to back that up? I mean me shipping them into MA from MO being legit?
He did send me a copy of his license and it is a class A.

I can't imagine you'll find anything about shipping since its all about possession

With all this excitement I thing I broke a fingernail.

Last edited:
Someone here once pointed out that laws aren't about telling you what you can do so much as they are about telling you what you cannot to.

So if I were you, I would be looking for the law that says you cannot ship them here rather than one that says you can.

Color me overly cautious but why would I want to take the chance of compromising my own freedoms by doing something illegal unknowingly?
You guys said that you have people monitor this forum. There are people out there that not only monitor but also intentionally set up the unwitting for a fall, so I'm not ashamed of being cautious.

Color me overly cautious but why would I want to take the chance of compromising my own freedoms by doing something illegal unknowingly?
You guys said that you have people monitor this forum. There are people out there that not only monitor but also intentionally set up the unwitting for a fall, so I'm not ashamed of being cautious.

Because it's not even your responsibility legally. Where you are, the magazine is simply a piece of metal. It's not your problem. Besides, you got the guy's LTC copy, you're already into far overkill territory in terms of him being possession legal. I've bought tons of legit preban mags from people all the time and that was the most that was ever required, from ANY remote seller.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the LEO you're talking to. I was having a conversation with a guy the other day that went on for about an hour. He really knew his sh!t

The pro RKBA cops I know generally know the laws pretty well. Some of the hardcore antis do, too. The appliance operator, indifferent types though... watch out. [laugh]

-Mike

Then don't. Pretty simple. But I don't know how a law in MA could apply to a resident of another state, what jurisdiction does the state of MA have over you??

Its like shipping ammo to a MA resident is legal as long as they have a state firearms license. But shipping it to them using US Mail is illegal even though they can possess it because there's a federal law regarding mailing ammo. No federal laws exist regarding magazine that I've ever heard of.

The risk in this case is all on the buyer. Nothing for you to worry about. We're the ones in state that have to make sure what we are purchasing are truly pre-bans. Otherwise we're SOL having paid a premium for something we can't use and likely will have to sell at a loss. I've bought pre-bans from several out of state dealers and individuals.

BTW, if you have any Glock 19 square notch pre-ban mags, PM me. [smile]

Then don't. Pretty simple.
Yeah, really. Forget about it. I've done this dance on occasion with scared-to-death-of-MA free state sellers and it never ends well. In the end, there will never be enough to satisfy a person like this so what's the point? When it gets to silly and absurd, as it has here, time to find another seller. [thinking]

The good news is that most free state folks get it or simply don't give a rat's ass about our loony MA AG lady. [cheers]

Thanks to those who have been helpful as I do sincerely appreciate it... and I've two words for the assclowns... and they're not Merry Christmas. *winks*

I know some of the people here can be hard sometimes,but hey we are big boys,and girls here who play with real guns so deal with it.As for assclown,what person puts something for sale,and does not have a clue of what he is selling.

Just think of this: How much of a premium is the buyer paying that you are willing to ship to MA? Cause those "pre-bans" are not worth anything to other free states.

Thanks to those who have been helpful as I do sincerely appreciate it... and I've two words for the assclowns... and they're not Merry Christmas. *winks*

Don't take it too harshly man. Trying to have any sort of interest in firearms in New England, ESPECIALLY MA or CT is like pissing straight into the wind. It sucks and at times, seems not worth it. We have people monitoring these boards constantly, and at times the contents of posts makes it into the media. Further, we have people from those same entities posting questions/replies on these forums. Common questions like this "is this legal..." are what they do.

If your state just set the precedent for retroactively making legal gun owners all felons and laid the groundwork for confiscation/surrender of all semi-auto rifles...you'd be a bit on edge as well.

You can send whatever illegal mags you want into MA - it's strictly the buyer's Risk. You literally risk nothing. I have no idea why you've gone through so much trouble over some old mags and now you're on here insulting the people that are trying to help you understand the obvious. Honestly, either go through with the deal or don't - you have an overkill amount of information already.

Not sure if serious... if they are PRE BAN they are most certainly legal to send into MA... and MA is one of the few states where crap like that still has value.

-Mike
As a lifelong resident in MA, I'm pretty sure that if I had sold literally everything in my possession back in maybe, oh, I dunno, say in the spring of 1993 or so... Literally sold everything we had, sold our house, our cars, forced the wife & kids to take the bus, liquidated all our bank accounts, sold our furniture and slept on the floor, etc... and I'd taken the cash and bought up every single Glock mag I could find on the planet and held em til today?..
My return on investment would've probably been ten times better than the returns from the stock markets, real estate, long-term bonds, precious metals, etc etc etc.....Combined.

My current net worth would probably far exceed The Donald's.

Just sayin'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom