Large Capacity question

Ok, I have an LTC, No Restrictions, which says I can carry large capacity.

I find this very confusing simply because the local gun shops do not have and will not sell large capacity gun models or large capacity mag. So what does it mean if I can carry large capacity if I cannot get it???

I ask this simply because it would be nice to be able to put a larger while target shooting.

Thanks,

The ban is on possession of mags made after 9/94.

Find some pre bans.

Most mags don't have a date, and it's hard to tell if they're pre ban or post ban.

Thanks for the clarification. I have not seen anything (or maybe I just cannt find it) on the ag's website that tells me that the "large capacity" on my LTC is for pre-bans.

Thanks for the clarification. I have not seen anything (or maybe I just cannt find it) on the ag's website that tells me that the "large capacity" on my LTC is for pre-bans.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but Does'nt Ma. consider anything that holds ten rounds considered High capacity?
I mean for instance you can't go out & purchase a 10+1 capable S&W M&P with a B license. Right?

I think large capacity in MA means any handgun or semi-auto rifle capable of accepting a feeding device that can hold ten or more rounds. Shotgun five. Example: Beretta 92 with a low cap mag is still a high capacity gun. Does not apply to tubular magazines.

I think there are additional nuances. GOAL has good info on their site.

I think large capacity in MA means any handgun or semi-auto rifle capable of accepting a feeding device that can hold ten or more rounds. Shotgun five. Example: Beretta 92 with a low cap mag is still a high capacity gun. Does not apply to tubular magazines.

I think there are additional nuances. GOAL has good info on their site.

The only exception for tubes is .22LR
A semi-auto with a tube can still be large-capacity.

With your Class-A LTC, you can own basically any handgun or long arm (aside from AWB issues).

The sticker is that you can only own large-capacity magazines (more than 10 rounds rifle/handgun, 5 shotgun) which were manufactured prior to September (13th?) 1994, when the Federal Assault Weapons Ban came into effect. If they weren't manufactured prior to then, you cannot legally possess them in Massachusetts.

So, for example, you can go out and buy a SW M&P. They're capable of accepting large-capacity magazines (16 rounds for the .40 version), so they require an LTC-A to possess. You CANNOT, however, legally possess those magazines in MA, since the M&Ps only came out a year or two or three ago. You can only get 10-round mags.

I have not seen anything (or maybe I just cannt find it) on the ag's website that tells me that the "large capacity" on my LTC is for pre-bans.

That's because the AG doesn't do any explaining of the gun laws, just enforcing. MGL 140-131M is the law that limits you to pre-bans, even with an LTC-A.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but Does'nt Ma. consider anything that holds ten rounds considered High capacity?
I mean for instance you can't go out & purchase a 10+1 capable S&W M&P with a B license. Right?

That's a hot topic around here as of late.

Also, the tube on a pump shotgun can be large capacity/AWB violation, although the gun itself can't be.

With your Class-A LTC, you can own basically any handgun or long arm (aside from AWB issues).

The sticker is that you can only own large-capacity magazines (more than 10 rounds rifle/handgun, 5 shotgun) which were manufactured prior to September (13th?) 1994, when the Federal Assault Weapons Ban came into effect. If they weren't manufactured prior to then, you cannot legally possess them in Massachusetts.

So, for example, you can go out and buy a SW M&P. They're capable of accepting large-capacity magazines (16 rounds for the .40 version), so they require an LTC-A to possess. You CANNOT, however, legally possess those magazines in MA, since the M&Ps only came out a year or two or three ago. You can only get 10-round mags.

100% correct. Here's a useful link for what constitutes an "assault weapon" in MA:
http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/awfacts.html

This comes up a lot lately. Is there any case law on it?

No. There haven't been any higher court cases where large capacity status of a gun/mag were examined. I'm always on the prowl though, if I find one I'll post it. But IMO it's the only logical conclusion that can be drawn from a careful reading of the law.

This is something I've been trying to get an understanding of this as well as it pertains to shotguns. I know you can begin flirting with an AWB violation if the shotgun is a semi-auto (e.g. Remington 1100) and you were to mount telescoping stock, pistol grip and magazine extension. Correct?

The grey area is with pump shotguns. To my knowledge, a pump shotgun (e.g. Rem 870, Mossberg 500) can never be an assault weapon due to being pump action. So you can add telescoping stock and pistol grip if you wanted. But at what point do you start getting in trouble with magazine extensions to increase capacity?

This is something I've been trying to get an understanding of this as well as it pertains to shotguns. I know you can begin flirting with an AWB violation if the shotgun is a semi-auto (e.g. Remington 1100) and you were to mount telescoping stock, pistol grip and magazine extension. Correct?
Yes. IIRC, you only get one evil feature. So you could have the extended mag or the telescoping stock, or the pistol grip.

The grey area is with pump shotguns. To my knowledge, a pump shotgun (e.g. Rem 870, Mossberg 500) can never be an assault weapon due to being pump action. So you can add telescoping stock and pistol grip if you wanted. But at what point do you start getting in trouble with magazine extensions to increase capacity?
As long as you have an LTC-B, you can add a telescoping stock, pistol grip, and magazine extension to a pump shotgun. A pump shotgun isn't semi-auto, so it is not covered by the Assault Weapons Ban.

As long as you have an LTC-B, you can add a telescoping stock, pistol grip, and magazine extension to a pump shotgun. A pump shotgun isn't semi-auto, so it is not covered by the Assault Weapons Ban.

And to further the confusion, I bought a 6+1 870 on my FID, as have many others I'm sure. Pumps can't be "large capacity", but if the tubes can be, they should require an LTC-B or better.

I hate this state.

And to further the confusion, I bought a 6+1 870 on my FID, as have many others I'm sure. Pumps can't be "large capacity", but if the tubes can be, they should require an LTC-B or better.

And to take it to it's logical conclusion, technically any tube with a capacity in excess of 5 rounds, manufactured after 9/13/94, would be a post-ban LCAFD. [thinking]

I hate this state

You're not alone.

And to take it to it's logical conclusion, technically any tube with a capacity in excess of 5 rounds, manufactured after 9/13/94, would be a post-ban LCAFD. [thinking]

....and possession of any post-ban LCAFD is a felony, correct? That's what is a little fuzzy to me. If someone wanted to build a "tacti-cool" pump 12 ga. home defender with pistol grip, folding stock, and mag extension that takes capacity to greater than 5 rounds, it sounds like that configuration would be illegal. But the previous poster states that they purchased a 6+1 round pump with an FID and you can walk into a shop today and buy the same 7 shot capacity shotgun.[hmmm] Is it the blanket statement that "a pump shotgun cannot be large capacity" that makes it legal?

You're not alone.

x2

Last edited:
But the previous poster states that they purchased a 6+1 round pump with an FID and you can walk into a shop today and buy the same 7 shot capacity shotgun.[hmmm] Is it the blanket statement that "a pump shotgun cannot be large capacity" that makes it legal?
Don't make the assumption that because someone can buy something that it is legal.

I know of a gun store in MA that sold a MA resident a post '94 semiauto shotgun with an extended magazine and both straight and pistol grip stocks.

Don't make the assumption that because someone can buy something that it is legal.

I know of a gun store in MA that sold a MA resident a post '94 semiauto shotgun with an extended magazine and both straight and pistol grip stocks.

True. I just find it odd to see these models advertised on their website and have seen them on the shelf with a majority of their business being MA residents. I suppose they could have models slated for out-of-state sale/transfer but find that unlikely. Seems risky to have those behind the counter if a rep from the AG office were to come sniffing around. These are brand new from Remington, not pre-ban.

Back
Top Bottom