Large Pistol magnum match primers

wjsmall97

NES Member
I found 300 LPM Match primers at bass pro yesterday, and was wondering if there is much of a difference
between them and the standard LPM primers. I would think there wouldn't be too much, that's why I grabbed them (that is all they had of them ).
They will mostly be used in a Marlin 1894 lever rifle.
Thanks, Bill

No difference. They are theoretically more consistent, but I would wager that you won't notice.

There are probably others that can explain the whys behind it or what the manufacturer says is the difference, but for what it is worth. When I run my loads through a chronograph I've never seen a statistical difference in velocity by going from the same manufacturers match grade or bench rest primers and their "normal" primers. Honestly, I've only pick up on slight differences when going from different manufacturers. That has been my experience anyway.

I am starting to think all the primers are the same and this is all marketing BS.

If there were any real differences, companies would advertise it.

I'm no expert - but I've found no difference with .44 mag in either velocity or accuracy (that I can access) between CCI #350 (Mag) and CCI #300 (standard).

That's using Alliant SP and 2400. Maybe there's a difference with some other powder(s) - but not with these.

The (revolver) strike marks on the fired cases look to be the same too (to me anyway).

I have found zero difference in FPS, accuracy and reliability when loading 9mm with small pistol primers, small pistol magnum primers or even small rifle primers.

My 2 cents

I am starting to think all the primers are the same and this is all marketing BS.

If there were any real differences, companies would advertise it.
I visit ammo manufacturers for my day job (they're our customers). I asked the question and was told that match primers are the same as normal primers, except that they're made by the best/most expereinced operator on his favorite machine.

I visit ammo manufacturers for my day job (they're our customers). I asked the question and was told that match primers are the same as normal primers, except that they're made by the best/most expereinced operator on his favorite machine.
Thank you.

Well what about the difference between magnum and regular Jim is there a minute bit more of whatever they use for explosive or where do they draw that line, thanks for sharing.

The OP is asking about comparing magnum to magnum match, not to magnum to standard. It's obvious enough that Winchester Match primers are using different cups. They look to me like copper rather than brass. Might look that way only because it's an alloy with more copper, of course. Whether there's a difference or not, my practices assume they are interchangeable.

Speaking of primer cups, I thought one reason to require a magnum primer wasn't about ignition, rather to ensure that the primer cup is made to handle higher pressure, or maybe the same high pressure sustained over a longer duration. If I have that right, it would open the door to labeling the same product as SP, SPM, and SRP. If CCI does that, it might explain why they developed a reputation for having the hardest primer cups.

Well what about the difference between magnum and regular Jim is there a minute bit more of whatever they use for explosive or where do they draw that line, thanks for sharing.
It depends on the manufacturer. All have thicker cups, some (But not all) have more brissance. Wolf SRMPs are actually a little weaker (explosively) than SRPs. Thicker cups, slightly less compound. Wolf 223 primers have both thicker cups and more compound.

Last edited:
The OP is asking about comparing magnum to magnum match, not to magnum to standard. It's obvious enough that Winchester Match primers are using different cups. They look to me like copper rather than brass. Might look that way only because it's an alloy with more copper, of course. Whether there's a difference or not, my practices assume they are interchangeable.

Speaking of primer cups, I thought one reason to require a magnum primer wasn't about ignition, rather to ensure that the primer cup is made to handle higher pressure, or maybe the same high pressure sustained over a longer duration. If I have that right, it would open the door to labeling the same product as SP, SPM, and SRP. If CCI does that, it might explain why they developed a reputation for having the hardest primer cups.
It's probably a copper wash for marketing. Brass is already an alloy with copper (75-78%). Increasing the % of copper would only weaken it.

CCIs cups are different thicknesses. They have an Internet reputation for hard cups. I'm not sure it's true.

I experimented loading .223 using 55 fmjbt , Win 748 ball powder and both cci std and mag primers. Did not notice any difference in precision, but I did observe about 30 fps faster velocities when using the mag primers. I've been told that ball type powders tend to favor mag primers.

I experimented loading .223 using 55 fmjbt , Win 748 ball powder and both cci std and mag primers. Did not notice any difference in precision, but I did observe about 30 fps faster velocities when using the mag primers. I've been told that ball type powders tend to favor mag primers.
The whole thing is tricky because there are no "rules" as to what makes a magnum primer. I have boxes of Winchester primers that are variously labeled as "non-magnum", "magnum", and for both "magnum or non-magnum loads", they all chrono the same, and I suspect the difference is packaging only. (BTW - I'm surprised at your 30 fps difference in velocity). I haven't seen a reliable published explanation of the difference - other than internet rumors (like the probably-false-but-often-repeated "fact" that CCI primers are harder than others).

The powder and pressure determines whether or not a magnum primer is required. Higher pressure requires a magnum primer (because they have thicker cups) and hard-to-light powders require a hotter (often magnum) primer. I've found that in some applications, magnum (hotter) primers give more consistent velocity even when they're not called for (magnum primers with W231 in pistols, and H335 in 223). For S&W 500 and 460 Magnums, large rifle magnum primers work best with H110, W296, and Lil' Gun.

Back
Top Bottom