LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit?

I assume the 20” upper has the rifle length gas system. Did it come with a carbine length receiver extension? Rifle buffer?

I am so close to ordering a 20” kit..
20” upper does come with rifle length gas system. Carbine length receiver extension with the requisite carbine buffer (3oz).

Don’t know how many hearts I about to break here but....I ordered my upper last Thursday and it is due to arrive at my house this Thursday. Maybe it’s because I’m orderering something other than a 5.56, but it’s an awesome turn around.

Don’t know how many hearts I about to break here but....I ordered my upper last Thursday and it is due to arrive at my house this Thursday. Maybe it’s because I’m orderering something other than a 5.56, but it’s an awesome turn around.
What did you order? Only happy for u. :)

They manufacture in batches, so if you order the right thing on the right week you'll get it quick

Props to LaRue. Sent them an email at 6pm last night, they already corresponded with me & sent me a prepaid shipping label back to them. Was going to suggest they just refund me the money & I'd do it myself, but I guess I'll ship it back.

Don't care when companies mess shit up, it happens, but when places give good support like this it ensures my future business. Good on them.

Update... LaRue received my unassembled upper this morning, and have already assembled/packed & provided a new return UPS.

Good service.

So, a small update #2 :) - as i got some time this morning, i went out to zero new arrowhead 1-10x scope on the new larue. had 4 sets of rounds with me, all brass - some .223 swiss 51gr, winchester 62gr green tip, and frontier match grade 68gr and 75gr.

spread of the 51gr is frustrating. winchester62gr is not much better.

best ones are 68gr, as was sort of expected, 75gr spreads just a tad bit more and drops lower.
below is are 68gr groups. on the round target i tried to figure out how to adjust grip between shots, still figuring out best way to deal with the recoil, as of 2 fliers in there - dunno, i did let something loose. overall - rifle delivers, compared to my previous post #165 above.
IMG-0712.jpgIMG-0707.jpg
on the right image, left upper corner is actually a 62gr rounds. lower right corner are 68gr.

As of the arrowhead 1-10x scope - i am probably going to keep it, as for the $440 - it is not half bad.
compared to the vortex 1-6x i had the contrast is less, but, overall clarity is comparable, and the 10x magnification, of course, is a huge step above 6x.
center dot of the reticle at 10x is about same size as the red bullseye of the target, at 100yds.

Last edited:
am i the only one here who actually keeps shooting his new toy? :)
just for the record - here is how the larry`s 62gr green tips IMI systems grouped yesterday, i was trying to sort out how to do it right from my tripod instead of the leather bag rest, and for some reason whole group moved a bit higher - but i guess those rounds were a bit hotter then ones i used before for zeroing, plus, i zeroed it on the 68gr.
first shot went dead center of the diamond, next one same center but a bit higher and then whole thing kinda moved to the left and up. are yours 20", if anybody got `em recently to try out do the same - i mean, moving to the left as barrel heats up? can`t wait to get those CMP 68gr orders, to see how their match loads will compare.
i gonna order a 16" predatAR build from them as well, will see how long will that take to get.
larue050921.jpg

am i the only one here who actually keeps shooting his new toy? :)
just for the record - here is how the larry`s 62gr green tips IMI systems grouped yesterday, i was trying to sort out how to do it right from my tripod instead of the leather bag rest, and for some reason whole group moved a bit higher - but i guess those rounds were a bit hotter then ones i used before for zeroing, plus, i zeroed it on the 68gr.
first shot went dead center of the diamond, next one same center but a bit higher and then whole thing kinda moved to the left and up. are yours 20", if anybody got `em recently to try out do the same - i mean, moving to the left as barrel heats up? can`t wait to get those CMP 68gr orders, to see how their match loads will compare.
i gonna order a 16" predatAR build from them as well, will see how long will that take to get.
View attachment 481185
I've been thinking of ordering another, not sure what length I want yet though. Almost tempted to get the 12" and SBR a lower snd see which comes back faster...

I've been thinking of ordering another, not sure what length I want yet though. Almost tempted to get the 12" and SBR a lower snd see which comes back faster...
i would prefer 14", if it existed in predatAR, as of 12" - having a short bullpup tavor x95 already - makes no sense, to me. i think of a second kit mostly as a redundancy thing, to get same exact bolt, same upper, makes some sense to have it, long term. weight wise i do not think it will be critical - like, a 2lbs top diff is negligent. but, i am curious. i still did not get a hold of the recoil control on this thing well enough yet, but, getting there. if only good rounds did not cost an arm and a leg now, it would be nice to get at least 500 rds in one session, i mostly have to settle with a 100 top now. plus i was helping my kid yesterday all day - she went over 300 .22 rds between pistol and rifle, that was fun. :)

I ordered a 14.5 upper on May 2 just received it UPS yesterday May 11 super fast , cant wait for the weekend , will check back in : )

I ordered a 14.5 upper on May 2 just received it UPS yesterday May 11 super fast , cant wait for the weekend , will check back in : )
pls post here an exact weight of the assembled upper alone, with no handle/bolt in it, if you can. i wonder how the 14.5 stealth will compare with 16" predatAr.

pls post here an exact weight of the assembled upper alone, with no handle/bolt in it, if you can. i wonder how the 14.5 stealth will compare with 16" predatAr.

There's some info online about just the barrels, though it seems to be a few years old.

Stealth 14.5": 2.25 LBS per MFINGAR
PredatAR 16": 1 lb, 9 oz

There's some info online about just the barrels, though it seems to be a few years old.

Stealth 14.5": 2.25 LBS per MFINGAR
PredatAR 16": 1 lb, 9 oz
i saw it, but, would be great to make sure of again, as i think we got here kits of all sizes and forms. :)
i forgot to weight my 20" upper before it got optics and rails mounted on it, and do not want to take it apart now as it got zeroed, but will do with predatAr when it comes, eventually.

so, hmm, the order was placed evening of 5/10, and card charged today, gotta be close to a record, i guess. :)
a bit unexpected, as i already have hell of the balance to deal with, but, ok. go figure. when you do not need it - it takes 2 days, apparently. when you want it - 4 months.
anyway, it means they have 16" predatARs in stock now.

I'm curious, since LaRue is now charging $100 (which they didn't used to do until some time this winter) for assembly. How many of you are ordering assembled?

All the accuracy related magic in an AR happens in the upper. So when I ordered mine, I had LaRue assemble the upper for me. I can, and have assembled uppers in the past. But in this case, there wasn't really a point.

I'm curious, since LaRue is now charging $100 (which they didn't used to do until some time this winter) for assembly. How many of you are ordering assembled?
All the accuracy related magic in an AR happens in the upper. So when I ordered mine, I had LaRue assemble the upper for me. I can, and have assembled uppers in the past. But in this case, there wasn't really a point.
i can admit - i ordered it assembled both times, as i am lazy. i do know how to do it, and did it before - i just do not want to do it.
same like with cars, i used to do it all on my own, now i often prefer to pay to mechanic, to save my time.

also, with larue, paying that assembly fee gets you their plastic case and it is not half bad for a $50 if you split that fee in half between the labor charge and the case cost.

Their upper looks super easy to assemble and the kit even comes with the wrench to fit their barrel nut.

Their upper looks super easy to assemble and the kit even comes with the wrench to fit their barrel nut.
The problem is that most people don't know enough to know what they don't know.

Some guy is going to clamp the upper in a vise block and use that to torque the bbl nut. Completely oblivious that that is the wrong way to do it, that you should be using a barrel extension torque tool.

Are you going to check the headspace after you assemble it? You see, I'm no expert. But I do know enough to know what I don't know.

Not if you live in a free state.

Or if you have a pre-ban lower.

But if you live in MA, yes, it would need to be pinned and welded before you assembled a functional gun.
Or if it’s their 14.5 and not going on an SBRed lower. Do they pin those ones by default anyway though?

Or if it’s their 14.5 and not going on an SBRed lower. Do they pin those ones by default anyway though?
no, to pin it is an $100 extra charge - look it up, it is dropdown menu option. only the 14.5" has an option to be pinned, no other sizes.
and they only offer the threaded tranquilo brake - i am still not quite sure the threaded brake will be allowed in MA, but, there was no consensus on that. my only logic on that was - a pinned muzzle device becomes a part of the barrel - becomes the barrel, and you cannot have a threaded barrel here in MA, as the whole point to pin the stupid brake is to prevent a possibility to access those threads on the barrel, so, go figure.

Back
Top Bottom