• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit?

18" stealth according to what people say should be way better than 4moa, if it will be doing 4moa i will sell it.
a 16" tavor of mine does 2.5-3moa on a steel tula.

again, from what i was reading i do expect it be 1-1.5 moa or better. will see. may be it is an unrealistic expectation. who knows.

i was also debating between 20" and 18" but based on what i saw on forums there is no much benefit from 20", it seems, and with a muzzle thing pinned/welded it gets a bit long. a twist of 18" and length should be, probably, optimal. but, if it will not group better than a tavor - grr.
That’s 4 MOA with bulk 55gr FMJ. The 69gr SMK is a better reference for a barrel’s capability.

But barrels can be finicky. One might shoot a particular bullet great, and another not. You could have a match barrel that just doesn’t shoot a particular bullet well. It’s all about the harmonics of the barrel. Some people even tune barrels to their bullet of choice either with adjustable muzzle devices or set screws touching the barrel at a specific distance from the chamber. But these are extreme measures for precision folk.

That’s 4 MOA with bulk 55gr FMJ. The 69gr SMK is a better reference for a barrel’s capability.

But barrels can be finicky. One might shoot a particular bullet great, and another not. You could have a match barrel that just doesn’t shoot a particular bullet well. It’s all about the harmonics of the barrel. Some people even tune barrels to their bullet of choice either with adjustable muzzle devices or set screws touching the barrel at a specific distance from the chamber. But these are extreme measures for precision folk.
steel tula 55gr out of tavor - should be the least accurate round possible. i do not have any heavier rounds to try, yet - made plenty of orders into the CMP, but nothing ships. do not want to buy any extra, as i am well stocked with 55gr brass and steel .223. andi hope 55gr federal should be good with a twist of an 18" barrel.

steel tula 55gr out of tavor - should be the least accurate round possible. i do not have any heavier rounds to try, yet - made plenty of orders into the CMP, but nothing ships. do not want to buy any extra, as i am well stocked with 55gr brass and steel .223. andi hope 55gr federal should be good with a twist of an 18" barrel.
The thing is you can't really determine a rifle accuracy based off of bulk ammo especially not something with a 1/7 twist rate or 1/8.... you can't really test the gun until you have the right kind of ammo..

Also if you want to save yourself sometime ask the manufacturer.... they usually know. Or at least can narrow it to a bullet weight/style.

The thing is you can't really determine a rifle accuracy based off of bulk ammo especially not something with a 1/7 twist rate or 1/8.... you can't really test the gun until you have the right kind of ammo..
i did not buy a tavor with any unrealistic accuracy expectations - i just wanted a good home defence .223 platform that is short and reliable - and so far it does it perfectly well. any accuracy at 100yd is only a bonus. :) it is amazingly great to shoot from a hip, this bullpup, it is very well balanced.

As a lefty, I believe in learning to run a regular RH gun. With that said, I do add an ambi CH and an ambi selector.

Sorry about that, if Minuteman was still in business I’d send you there - I got a left hand complete upper from them for my son - good stuff, more accurate than the ACOG he has on it can take advantage of.

Back to LaRue - soooo happy I ordered my OBR 7.62 at the end of 2012, received a couple YEARS later. This upper I just ordered I’m sure won’t disappoint.

IMHO, A left handed upper gets you nothing. As a lefty I do not notice the round crossing in front of my face. I never have.

Try your son's LH Upper. You won't notice the shell crossing in front of your face.

i did not buy a tavor with any unrealistic accuracy expectations - i just wanted a good home defence .223 platform that is short and reliable - and so far it does it perfectly well. any accuracy at 100yd is only a bonus. :) it is amazingly great to shoot from a hip, this bullpup, it is very well balanced.
I was more referring to your new upper my point is you're not going to be able to test it very well unless you use the correct ammo if somebody tells me rifles accuracy sucks and all they fed through it was xm193 I'm going to laugh at them. M193 is decent ammo but accurate it is not... expecting tight groups out of the stuff from most guns is unreasonable.

IMHO, A left handed upper gets you nothing. As a lefty I do not notice the round crossing in front of my face. I never have.

Try your son's LH Upper. You won't notice the shell crossing in front of your face.

I know, I tested his before I let him shoot it - no issues. It is handy at the bench, he sets up on the left side, me on the right and no hot brass coming at either of us.

Ended up ordering one of these LaRue ultimate uppers last week after seeing this thread.

Also, not to hijack LaRue thread, but in case anyone is looking for an in-stock upper, Windham Weaponry just emailed out the attached. I'm sure varmint style with a crowned barrel isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I've had great experience with Windham over the years & they are in stock ready to ship now.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 25
I was more referring to your new upper my point is you're not going to be able to test it very well unless you use the correct ammo if somebody tells me rifles accuracy sucks and all they fed through it was xm193 I'm going to laugh at them. M193 is decent ammo but accurate it is not... expecting tight groups out of the stuff from most guns is unreasonable.

Yup. 4 MOA is doing well with 193.

Just a note on lead times, ordered an 18” PredatAR ultimate upper kit on 14 February and it arrived today. I was surprised when I received the shipping notification a few days ago.

I am guessing the Stealth uppers are more popular and a longer lead time though.

No random stuff in the package but the upper looks very well built. PredatAR upper is chamber in .556 with more of a pencil profile on the barrel.

Lead times are super long, but worth the wait, I have 2 in 5.56 and 1 in 6.5G, all stealth barrels, they do those more frequently than the light weight barrels...I put 60 rnds through one of the 5.56 ones this weekend, zeroed the red dot (off hand standing then off hand sitting) with the first 4 or 5 rnds, the rest were 100yrds, leaning over a bench resting my elbow on it, shooting IMI M855, groups pretty well EA1EF2E9-1FEB-4314-B69E-61CF1FE9A49E.jpeg

Got a notice on my Larue 3-9x40 Trijicon w/ LT104 mount I ordered the end of February.......Backordered

If they say that - it will be awhile. Hopefully my upper beats the foolishness that is on the way.

Couple Larue ultimate uppers ordered 1/13 shipped today 3/12 was very surprised to see the charge hit my card. Tracking #s are on their site, but still no email from them lol. Very happy.
stealth or predatAr?

mine still sits in GTG status, end of Jan. hmm. was in that status almost from a beginning.

Last edited:
Couple Larue ultimate uppers ordered 1/13 shipped today 3/12 was very surprised to see the charge hit my card. Tracking #s are on their site, but still no email from them lol. Very happy.
My 1/13 order hasnt been charged yet, but you gave me hope itll be soon

Thanks for posting. I ordered a couple 1/13 also but didn’t get an email. Checked my account and they are supposedly enroute and due in a few days!

With regard to Stealth vs PedatAR, if you are carrying it for hours, or need something lighter for hunting, go with the lighter PredatAR. But otherwise, why give up the benefits of a more robust barrel?

As was previously mentioned, they do things in batches. For a data point, a 12” Stealth ordered on 1/7 arrived 60 days later with all of the goodies—but no rub, unfortunately (also, you can no longer opt for a straight bow trigger according to customer service last week). I understand some people who ordered the same in early March waited just days. I have limited experience with other manufacturers but LaRue products are excellent quality. I have a 20” on order and look forward to groups with match ammo once that arrives.

I bought a14.5" and a lower kit, as I wanted a Larue.

They did the P&W and it clean, but the timing of the brake is ever so slightly off.

I reported this to the by email with pictures and said I didn't want to return it.

I'd buy their triggers and parts again, at a good price.

"timing of the brake is ever so slightly off" can someone please tell me about the timing of a break. Sorry for my ignorance.
Means its not clocked on the end of the barrel correctly so that it lines up perfectly with how the brake is supposed to be oriented normally... there's a portion of a muzzle brake that supposed to be facing down and then a portion that's facing up. Same thing with flash hiders and that sort of thing. Now that having been said there might be some brakes that are supposed to be mounted a little bit off but I'm not aware of any offhand on an AR.

What stock is provided with the kit for MA residents?
I see the website states "LaRue Tactical will not pin a collapsible stock (in those cases, we ship with a fixed A2 Stock)"
but I'm thinking a kit is just a kit and the provided upper is this one:
1615785768066.png

Back
Top Bottom