Laser as front sight on ar

M1911a1g17

NES Member
Hey all. Dont know if this out there already. I couldnt find it but I am thinking about replacing my buis front sight on my ar with a visible laser. I am just wondering what your guys opinion is on this. If anyone has done it and their thoughts. And what laser you recommend for an ar set up.

Hey all. Dont know if this out there already. I couldnt find it but I am thinking about replacing my buis front sight on my ar with a visible laser. I am just wondering what your guys opinion is on this. If anyone has done it and their thoughts. And what laser you recommend for an ar set up.

Do you have vision issues where you can't see the front sight?

How far do you shoot, and in what conditions? If you shoot at more than 100 yards and during bright daylight, I don't think this will work for you.

i see no point in that at all, speaking of irons replacement with anything.

one practical thing you can use a laser on a pistol, and to some level on the rifle - is to observe your factual natural point of aim and during a rapid fire practice you will be able to see the beam showing you on the target how you handle the recoil.

on the rifle you will not be able to see much, even with the brightest consumer grade green laser, beyond 25yrds at daylight, with no optic. using visible laser with optics makes not a lot of sense either. a hypothetical shooting from the hip relying on a laser - sure, you can play with that once or twice at the range, but, practicality of that approach is quite questionable, in a real life scenario.

on a pistol, if you use a combined light/laser - it can be partially useful at night when you can`t see shit and have to go outside to shoot some racoons down - dunno how can such a use case relate to an ar15. anyway, i have light/laser combos on both EDC and home protection pistols, but not on rifles.

The only reason to have a visible laser on your AR is so you can rapidly zero your IR laser to the same POI without going to the range at night.

Interesting post. I can’t imagine why anybody would do this though, so the questions need to be asked;

What is your experience level with iron sights, BUIS, RDS, and lasers, if any?

Is this your idea or something someone recommended to you?

I don't think that buis is necessary to begin with. And there's nothing stopping you from mounting a laser and buis - lasers can go kinda anywhere.

But I do like lasers, especially on light ARs.

1623872929983726480660275798458.jpg

It was just a thought. Random thinking haha. @C. Stockwell my vision is perfectly fine. @daekken I prefer 25 to 50 and try to go for speed. @paul73 that is a very good point. @cams very familiar with both red dots and irons but not so much with lasers. That is kinda where this stemmed from. It was kinda my idea but also something i have seen and wanted opinions on. @edmorseiii that is actually very much so something i am interested in. Is that the only laser that has that feature or ability? I would prefer to keep a front sight on case my red dot fails. What is your opinion on that laser? @teamRR which laser is that? Opinions on it?

You could always try one of these as well.

B95D5316-7729-42EE-B288-16B14ECE5CF9.pngFF97FA47-8155-42CD-89D1-E5AFE4B318C2.jpeg

@cams funny enough i was just looking at their different products last night. I love the handguard i have now so not looking to change that. Thank you though!
@one-eyed Jack hahahaha that would be crazy.
They have some great looking lights for sure. Big $$ though. I have one of their LCS’s, good quality and looks like it’ll take a beating.

Good luck with whatever you decide, it’s your rifle after all, personally I can’t wrap my head around removing your BUIS on a carbine use/type rifle for any reason.

@cams my buddy has some of their stuff and loves it as well. I agree. I would rather not remove a front sight to replace with an electronic.

It was just a thought. Random thinking haha. @C. Stockwell my vision is perfectly fine. @daekken I prefer 25 to 50 and try to go for speed. @paul73 that is a very good point. @cams very familiar with both red dots and irons but not so much with lasers. That is kinda where this stemmed from. It was kinda my idea but also something i have seen and wanted opinions on. @edmorseiii that is actually very much so something i am interested in. Is that the only laser that has that feature or ability? I would prefer to keep a front sight on case my red dot fails. What is your opinion on that laser? @teamRR which laser is that? Opinions on it?

Crimson trace, have a bunch, and really like them. Green if your #1 goal is ultimate visibility when it's not so dark, red if #1 is battery life.

If you decide to get one - look for green one, in combination with a flashlight. Crimson, olight, streamlight. A 800 or 1000 lumen light is actually something useful to have.

Stick with the red dots, dont even want to know what a laser would cost to see it during daylight hours even at 50 yards.

Back
Top Bottom