Last day for Riley’s

Bought my first Dillon 650 there, a couple of rifles, mags, scopes, targets... lots of reloading supplies and plenty of ammo. Sad. RIP

RIP. I moved from NH last June and back to NH in February of this year. Instead of being 80 miles away like the first time we lived here, now I'm now only 5-6 miles away from Riley's and Shooters. I won't set foot in Shooters Outpost, so I guess I can go the 80 miles back to where we left from.

Last edited:
That sucks.

Never bought anything at the store but always got killer deals on ammo at their table at the Manchester show.

I always figured they jumped the shark when they got the that heavily tattooed guy that practices his meany face behind the AR parts counter. It's like he was desperately trying to fit the stereotype of the typical tactical warrior badass...behind the glass counter.

That was a while ago.

Too bad, RIP. I liked the old school vibe and when they still had a lot of stock could find less common reloading supplies like match 7mm projectiles etc. Staff was hit and miss for me- a couple I really liked, one I could do without.

I liked Riley’s as I didn’t get quizzed on where I live and what I can buy. Meh, I still go to Shooters - just feels silly at times.
I know its their store and they can have what policies they want.... but shooters has some awful policies.
At least Jim does his best to keep them consistent in policy/enforcement.

Staff was hit and miss for me- a couple I really liked, one I could do without.
At Riley's I'd get vastly different treatment depending who was behind the counter. Had one guy insist on writing my street address on the back of my NH DL because the front only had a PO box... That's when I started going to SO first.

RIP. I moved back to NH in February, and instead of being 80 miles away, I'm now only 5-6 miles. I won't set foot in Shooters Outpost, so I guess I can the 80 miles back to where we left from.
Im out of the loop, whats the problem with shooters outpost?

Out of state butthurt.

I just saw his reply to some of the ID complaints in the review thread. If I was him and had all these .gov orgs dragging him into court in MA I'd be doing the same thing.

Hard to blame him. I don't know Jim very well, we've only talked a few times online and in person but hes always bent over backwards for me.

I used to go there almost once a month and buy a bunch of ammo or reloading stuff. It's been a few years and I noticed the shop changed but wasn't there enough so I wasn't sure. Just noticed many employees changed and the store started to feel emptier

Good!!!
Even when I lived in Manchester (mid 90s) and shopped there almost weekly, buying almost a gun a year, they still managed to give me dangerously wrong firearms advise, and even trying to sell me a rife that I had already purchased online, at a higher price when all they were doing was a transfer.
All the years I was going there they still treated me like they had never seen me before.

I hated the store for that, but it was a necessary evil.

RC

Out of state butthurt.
haha...well said! guilty as charged, lol.
It's the end of an era.
it was the end of an era when dick left the building. the name "riely's" was gold at one time but it don't matter what's on the sign if what's inside can't hold it up. the old timers here know what i mean. the place very slowly started to disintegrate once dick was out of the picture. i will say the guy who had it after dick, forget his name, did a noble job trying to keep it the same. i hate change. i also want to say i never left riely's during any ownership butt hurt, just pissed at myself for not calling first.

When ever a gun store closes, other than *Dicks* sporting goods, it is a loss for our community.

That's totally untrue. Completely and totally untrue.

It might have been true 20 years ago.

Today???

I'm betting there are more gun shops in mASS and NH today than 20 years ago. What happens is the "old" gun shops with Fudds who wouldn't do what it took (customer service, pricing, etc.,) go the way of the dodo bird.

Evolve or die. It's that simple.

That's totally untrue. Completely and totally untrue.

It might have been true 20 years ago.

Today???

I'm betting there are more gun shops in mASS and NH today than 20 years ago. What happens is the "old" gun shops with Fudds who wouldn't do what it took (customer service, pricing, etc.,) go the way of the dodo bird.

Evolve or die. It's that simple.

The reality here is Rileys was "gone" years ago they just didn't want to admit they played themselves.

I stopped going there in the Ralph era. His employees were total pricks. If you act like youre doing me a favor selling me a gun, I'll buy it somewhere else. They were even aholes over the phone.
It's crazy to have a gem like Rileys be destroyed by incompetence in management. Half of this forum could only dream of owning a shop like that.

It sucks that it's closing. I've notice the inventory going away for a few years. The last time I was in there they wouldn't take my C&R because they "didn't know if they could". I told them they have a bunch of mine on file already, but they "declined the sale" anyways.

It was way better when Ralph owned it and kept bringing in used inventory as well as new stuff. I knew it was going downhill when they "organised" everything. That seems to be the beginning of the end of the Old gun shops.

Sad to hear. I probably haven't been there since 2015? I used to buy tons of primers and powder from them (and from Shooters) before I started buying components online. I never really had any issues during the multiple trips to the shop. Wish them the best.

So, what's going to go in there...? A vape shop...?

It's crazy to have a gem like Rileys be destroyed by incompetence in management. Half of this forum could only dream of owning a shop like that.
It wasn't incompetence it was money. The new owner didn't have the capital Ralph did. This new guy couldn't afford to buy used guns. Ralph had deep pockets. Ralph would buy stuff he thought would be valuable in the future and keep them in his office. I know because I bought a few. This new owner didn't have the cash on hand that Ralph did.
And RIP Denver. Anyone that went to rileys years ago will know who he is.

Back
Top Bottom