Lawmakers reach last-minute deal to legalize sports betting in Massachusetts

"Left on the conference committee cutting room floor was the Senateā€™s whistle-to-whistle ban on sports betting ads during live sporting events. House officials said they were concerned that the provision might be unconstitutional."

So, if there's money involved, suddenly the House becomes concerned about constitutionality. :rolleyes:

It will pass. Government criminals never leave an opportunity to make money and tax stupid people untouched.

Government used to imprison the Mafia for running a numbers game, distributing alcohol, ......now the government is running both in many places. Odd thing is, the Mafia paid better in the numbers and sold booze cheaper.

Government used to imprison drug dealers for distributing drugs......now the government is running the drug distribution racket via methadone clinics, free needles, legalized pot, open borders with TONS of illegal drugs coming into the U.S. via cartel mules.

The federal government and many state governments are the biggest criminal enterprises on planet earth.

I wonder if any of that newfound tax money will go towards fixing the roads. Nah, what was I thinking.

Yeah. I remember when they had the huge tobacco tax and it was earmarked for tobacco cessation programs and advertising. Well, it worked well.

1. The tax was so high they were awash with $.
2. The programs were so successful that youth smoking dropped like a rock in mASS.

So what did they do? Legislature decided that they only needed a fraction of their budget and the rest of the tax would be dropped into the general fund.

For the children and all. AND the roads. The Road Children. LOL

My big problem is

1. It took them until AFTER the end of the session to do this?
2. It seems like the 2 legislators in charge basically hijacked the entire system for their person pet projects.

The sports betting bill (H 5164) will legalize wagering on professional and some collegiate contests, though betting on Massachusetts colleges and universities will not be allowed unless they are playing in a tournament like March Madness, lead Senate conferee Sen. Michael Rodrigues said.

Huh?!? Isn't that where most of the betting happens in college sports?

Back
Top Bottom