• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Laws regarding polymer80 build

Another good answer. See! I did say you clowns are predictable AF! Stop bitching and moaning and answer the question forum newbie has asked.
58bf2985ee8e5.png

I only responded to your post because you gave horrible information in a authoritative tone - I didn't want a newbie to take what you said as fact. The "maura" trolls are obvious and can be ignored - sounds like you can join them.

I only responded to your post because you gave horrible information in a authoritative tone - I didn't want a newbie to take what you said as fact. The "maura" trolls are obvious and can be ignored - sounds like you can join them.
wow, you have a form like that!? How often do you fill it out? [rofl]

Do you not get the point? YOU have been trolled! You ARE that "couch commando" that offers NO useful info and only gets "butthurt" into rage-responding. Man, some of you clowns are so dense...

Here's the answer!

You clowns would rather "Hello Maura" for TWO PAGES than answer the question. What's even more predictable is that all it takes to get you "couch commandos" to start rage-posting is to write something with blunt statements. It doesn't matter if they are wrong or right as long as they trigger your, keyboard warrior, indignation. Works every time!

Next time, answer the original question properly.

Reread post 2, that is the troll line. Every person who posted after that was either A) trolling or B) being trolled

Serial numbers are used to track a gun's ownership chain from the initial FFL all the way to the last owner. Since it is ILLEGAL to transfer the gun to anyone, the ownership chain starts and ends with you.
Just by virtue of having a homemade gun, you can be required to show your gun to police investigating crimes where a non-serialized gun was used. Let me rephrase it. If you build a gun, you give police permission to raid your home whenever there is a crime where a non-serialized gun is used.

Legal discussion put aside for a moment, logistically, how does this work? How would they know?

Here's the answer!

You clowns would rather "Hello Maura" for TWO PAGES than answer the question. What's even more predictable is that all it takes to get you "couch commandos" to start rage-posting is to write something with blunt statements. It doesn't matter if they are wrong or right as long as they trigger your, keyboard warrior, indignation. Works every time!

Next time, answer the original question properly.
Ok MrModeratorwannabe. Who TF made you the boss on answering questions?

The fact that YOU WROTE some of that crap like the “popo” and “unserialized gun used gives them the right...” You can’t be serious.

So your answer is to give demonstrably bad information?

View attachment 624628

Best solution is to put this jerk on ignore. That's what I just did!

1) You can try building ONLY if you have a valid LTC/FID. If you don't, you're a criminal and should go to prison.
2) You can build but you CANNOT sell it or transfer it to ANYONE! If you do, you're a criminal and should go to prison.
3) If you build it, you MUST register in EF-10 within 7 days of completion. For serial number, enter NSN. If you do not register, you're a criminal and should go to prison.

Serial numbers are used to track a gun's ownership chain from the initial FFL all the way to the last owner. Since it is ILLEGAL to transfer the gun to anyone, the ownership chain starts and ends with you.
Just by virtue of having a homemade gun, you can be required to show your gun to police investigating crimes where a non-serialized gun was used. Let me rephrase it. If you build a gun, you give police permission to raid your home whenever there is a crime where a non-serialized gun is used.

Bullshit. You absolutely CAN TOO sell a homemade gun without a serial number. Even in the PRM.

You can't build it with the INTENT to sell it, and you can't go into production making and selling them on the regular. But you absolutely can sell a gun made from an 80% lower.

You CAN sell a P80 once built, it just has to be serialized to the standards the ATF has published. There are FFL's that do this type of work, or with some good old fashioned stamps you can do it yourself. IIRC the standard is the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch

There is no Federal and no Mass law that requires a firearm manufactured by you for your own use to ever be serialized, even if you someday decide to sell it. That is folklore, not law.

You CAN do so, but do not HAVE to.

I believe the rest is correct, but some FFLs may be reluctant to serialize a firearm they didn't build themselves.

I believe federal law prohibits the sale of personally manufactured firearms.

I don't think it's illegal to sell it after as long as you didn't make it with the intention of sale

1) You can try building ONLY if you have a valid LTC/FID. If you don't, you're a criminal and should go to prison.
2) You can build but you CANNOT sell it or transfer it to ANYONE! If you do, you're a criminal and should go to prison.
3) If you build it, you MUST register in EF-10 within 7 days of completion. For serial number, enter NSN. If you do not register, you're a criminal and should go to prison.

Thanks, finally some useful information instead of the usual “hi Maura” bullshit. I’ll just build with a serialized frame if I can find one, or start with a Glock frame. No need to complicate things with the police.
OP don’t listen to this guy. After about two weeks of his arrival here I realized that he generally has no idea what he’s talking about but will stomp his feet to try and make it sound more legit.

Seriously, I’d take dating advice from @Reptile before listening to legal advice from @Sammy

It doesn't.

Now if you make a habit of it (building and then selling) they may decide you're engaged in the manufacture of firearms for sale, but that's different.

Simply deciding, this one sucks so I'll sell it to some sucker, or my BFF really, really likes it, or bequeathing it to your son, all those are perfectly legal. Excepting perhaps some states like California - who knows there. They think bumblebees can swim.

Nope.

It prohibits you becoming a manufacturer and selling multiple personally made firearms. It does not prohibit you from personally manufacturing one, or two, (there's no specific amount anywhere), and then deciding that you don't want them and selling them.

Nope.

It prohibits you becoming a manufacturer and selling multiple personally made firearms. It does not prohibit you from personally manufacturing one, or two, (there's no specific amount anywhere), and then deciding that you don't want them and selling them.
Technically speaking my statement was, and the time, tautologically correct but is no longer so because my belief has changed.

OP don’t listen to this guy. After about two weeks of his arrival here I realized that he generally has no idea what he’s talking about but will stomp his feet to try and make it sound more legit.

Seriously, I’d take dating advice from @Reptile before listening to legal advice from @Sammy
Are you a leftie liberal by any chance? Only the lefties try to disparage the person and not the argument.
I haven't seen you post a SINGLE valuable post in the last...well...hold on... nope! I can't remember the last time you contributed any value to the conversations here.
Besides, you assume so many things, including my sex("this guy"), you must be incapable of critical thought anyways...
Like I wrote before, these clowns are so easy to get riled up!

Are you a leftie liberal by any chance? Only the lefties try to disparage the person and not the argument.
I haven't seen you post a SINGLE valuable post in the last...well...hold on... nope! I can't remember the last time you contributed any value to the conversations here.
Besides, you assume so many things, including my sex("this guy"), you must be incapable of critical thought anyways...
Sorry did I offend you by not using she/him/them?

As for my value, meh, lol, maybe not, but at least I know when to shut the f*** up when I don’t know what I’m talking about.

We get riled when idiots portray fantasy as law... People come here for advice, not a checklist to get themselves arrested.

I'm happy to toss in a joke AFTER the real question is answered. It was correctly answered in post #4, by @appraiser.

YOUR answer, which I hope was a joke, was almost entirely incorrect and most of the rest was opinion.

Sorry did I offend you by not using she/him/them?

As for my value, meh, lol, maybe not, but at least I know when to shut the f*** up when I don’t know what I’m talking about.
“Silence is often the best thing to say.”

-Frank Herbert

I’d take advice from @cams long before I’d take any from @Sammy and that’s just common sense. On ANY subject.

So I’ve gotten 3 different replies for the serial number:
N/A, NSN, none. Which one is correct?

I’d also like to have my own custom serial number if I end up building something i really like. But not being a manufacturer, how would I get one?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom