• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lawyer dies after his hidden gun goes off during MRI scan.

Now this is why I tell people all the time "DO NOT CARRY YOUR GUN IN A HOSPITAL IN A SERPA HOLSTER"! Serpas' are NOT certified magnetic field proof !

(I want to say like 3+ tesla)
Dear God, I hate the 3 tesla units. I can't get my elbows clear of my body without hitting the sides and I end up posed like a mummy the whole time. The one time I spent 45 minutes in one, I thought I had ants crawling on me by the end. My doctor now knows to use the 1.5 tesla. The 3 is higher resolution, but only if I'm not vibrating.

That is crazy! You're telling me the magnetic field pulled the gun upwards towards him and pulled the trigger?? [bow]
Usually what happens is the gun gets sucked out of the holster and get stuck to the machine but it hits the machine so hard that the inertia of the impact is so great that it causes the gun to fire.... I would bet some guns would survive that test others would not but it's probably dependent on the amount of mass and how well the firing fan stop works assuming it exists.

The primer is made of metal filled with an explosive material. That much of a magnetic field was enough to set the primer off without having to pull the trigger......
I'm voting series 70 1911 or similar type gun with no firing pin stop and the shitload of inertia causing the gun to just fire after it got sucked out of the holster hit the MRI machine HARD.. like as in being fired from a cannon hard.... and discharged.. and the poor bastard happened to be standing in the wrong place when that happened apparently.....

ETA: actually I'll go a step further even with a firing pin stop type gun this might not matter so much. if you took a Striker Fired handgun and applied enough inertia to the back of the gun (lets use a p320 as a great example of fail) there would be conditions where if the amount of energy was absurd you could probably get it to fire where it wouldn't fire if it was dropped off of a 20-story building in free fall.....🤣 I mean think about it you have a trigger bar in there and that mechanism has weight you just have to get an impact great enough to shift the whole mechanism so that it will defeat itself. This is part of the reason why Glock and other companies have a gimmick to stop the trigger moving under inertia only.....

I'm voting series 70 1911 or similar type gun with no firing pin stop and the shitload of inertia causing the gun to just fire after it got sucked out of the holster hit the MRI machine HARD.. like as in being fired from a cannon hard.... and discharged.. and the poor bastard happened to be standing in the wrong place when that happened apparently.....

ETA: actually I'll go a step further even with a firing pin stop type gun this might not matter so much. if you took a Striker Fired handgun and applied enough inertia to the back of the gun (lets use a p320 as a great example of fail) there would be conditions where if the amount of energy was absurd you could probably get it to fire where it wouldn't fire if it was dropped off of a 20-story building in free fall.....🤣 I mean think about it you have a trigger bar in there and that mechanism has weight you just have to get an impact great enough to shift the whole mechanism so that it will defeat itself. This is part of the reason why Glock and other companies have a gimmick to stop the trigger moving under inertia only.....
He's in Brazil. It might just be a Taurus...

oh jesus christ you're right.... which means about 50% of those guns would probably just fire with enough impact force... [laugh]
Without knowing where he was standing, how he was carrying, and what pistol it was, it's hard to really deconstruct. There are just so many things about the internal mechanisms in a pistol that might behave differently in a strong enough magnetic field. If the trigger bar is steel, it might pull in its channel, the sear (or equivalent) might rotate in line with the field, the striker block might compress its spring and move out of the way...

The one thing we can definitely take away is that the laws of physics don't bend for anybody; don't take metal into the secure area around an MRI machine.

Now this is why I tell people all the time "DO NOT CARRY YOUR GUN IN A HOSPITAL IN A SERPA HOLSTER"! Serpas' are NOT certified magnetic field proof !

I don’t imagine the gun is certified magnetic field proof either.

I have had several CT scans while carrying AIWB. My CT scans are from the shoulders up so it’s never been an issue. When I have MRIs it goes in the locker w everything else.

Back
Top Bottom