LC9S for first time gun owner

I had an LC9S pro and found it very easy to conceal, being the pro model it had no safety and no mag disconnect feature. I also found it to be very accurate due to the really nice light trigger though it is a long pull with a long reset. I enjoyed shooting it, much softer than a j frame. The little 1911 knock offs while fun in 380 have a lot going on with them for a new shooter ( safety, hammer etc). The LC9s,s minus would be small sights but at least with the pro they were milled so easy to change and the mag reliese was tiny and would need a fair amount of practice to become efficeint with it. I have no issues with tucking my pinky under a small grip, some people do, though the 9 round mags or the 6 round with the doohickey on it solve that problem

Last edited:
Slightly larger than my 938 and I don’t mind the recoil on that so I’m hoping the Ruger is about the same or better. It’s also heavier.

I would submit that the M&P9C is significantly larger than both the 938 & the LC9S. Very few guns in the 9mm micro class shoot as well as the 938, I'm just not a fan of the manual safety/cocked hammer which is why I switched to the 365. I would have no problem recommending the LC9S to a new shooter looking to carry, or an M&P9C either for that matter, although in my experience a new shooter will be more likely to actually carry the Ruger.

Last edited:
I love my striker-fired LC9s and think it would be fine for a carry gun, including for a newbie. I never use the safety, but it is small enough to just ignore and seems like it would be hard to inadvertently put on safe. It's easy and comfortable to carry in a soft holster in my front pocket, something I can't see doing with my P938, which I love but never carry. Sigh.

The sub-par finish on the slide is the biggest flaw with the LC9s as I can see it. It's more like a parkerized finish, not very smooth and it is fragile and not very protective. Smith & Wesson's "Armornite" nitride finish is far superior, as is the finish on the 938.

One word of caution though: a few weeks back I took a friend shooting several guns, and that night when we were cleaning them he somehow put the barrel in the slide incorrectly and then on the frame. It is lodged in there right good, and I don't think it's ever going to come apart. Fortunately for me (and my friend), I already have a second LC9s. I got some hybrid tritium/fiber optic sights but have not installed them yet.

LC9S isn't pretty but they do shoot just fine, like most things ruger makes, materials and workmanship are quality, but it ain't tacticool or pretty. The original LC9 wasn't as bad as people made out to be either, they functioned fine. I honestly carry a bg380 most of the time so I know hot garbage when I see/shoot it lol

For what it’s worth, Hickok45 loves the LC9S. I used to own a BG380, in fact it was my first pistol I purchased just months after obtaining my LTC. For training it was not my favorite. Putting more than 300 rounds down range was not fun but super necessary for a new shooter. I did it multiple times and realized I’d rather have a full sized pistol to train with and carry regularly. I also had multiple failures to eject with the BG380 and the trigger pull was like dragging a cinderblock in each hand down a cobblestone road while a gnome kicked you in the nuts every city block. Her best move might be to buy the M&P and go for the trigger upgrade.

Ruger security 9 is another solid offering from Ruger that isn't super tacticool but well made and reasonably priced and something that you can own and be happy with for a long time.

My LC9S Pro has been very reliable and trouble free with the exception of having to replace a recoil spring assembly after ~ 5000 rounds. The spring retainer on the end of the assembly cracked and started to let the spring wind itself off. Ruger replaced it for free.

It does have a little recoil. But nothing that bothers me. It may be a little too snappy for a smaller/weaker gripped shooter, but try it and see.

Accuracy is very good, and in my hands seems to point naturally at the intended target.

The finish is wearing, but this gun has been carried everyday since I got it. It was purchased as soon as they became available in MA.

And whatever you do, don't even try any magazines but Ruger. Pro Mag is the only other brand I could find, and they turned the gun into a real learning experience in clearing jams of all sorts.

I have the LC9S. It seems like the smallest gun I can shoot accurately at longer distance. I like the sights, I'm not a fan of the newer EC9S sights. It does not seem to like the 115gn sig hollow point ammo. If I load it with it pointed to the ground the barrel flops forward and the hollow point jams into the feed ramp on the first round from the magazine. With 147gn hollow points it works flawlessly. It's not an easy gun for a novice to shoot but I don't think the recoil is anything I'd consider harsh. No rust on mine but I shoot and clean it often.

I would like a sig 938 though.

It likes to feed live cartridges up the ejection port instead of into the chamber.
[shocked]

The good thing is if she hates it she can transfer it to her husband.
ca0ef80929bd8af86f6a9c61b521a387.png

I have the LC9S. It seems like the smallest gun I can shoot accurately at longer distance. I like the sights, I'm not a fan of the newer EC9S sights. It does not seem to like the 115gn sig hollow point ammo. If I load it with it pointed to the ground the barrel flops forward and the hollow point jams into the feed ramp on the first round from the magazine. With 147gn hollow points it works flawlessly. It's not an easy gun for a novice to shoot but I don't think the recoil is anything I'd consider harsh. No rust on mine but I shoot and clean it often.

I would like a sig 938 though.
Oh my bodyguard 380 will hit bullseye at 900 yards. Do better. I took off the sights and replaced them with skittles. Still just as accurate. Ill see myself out

Oh my bodyguard 380 will hit bullseye at 900 yards. Do better. I took off the sights and replaced them with skittles. Still just as accurate. Ill see myself out

Nah for real though, I carry it because it is the most concealable pistol that I can still confidently reach out to further targets. I'm talking 50 yards on an 18x30 torso target. For a subcompact 9mm I consider that good. I know self defense distances are usually 3 yards but I still want to have a fighting chance against the slim probability of facing someone with a rifle. I've carried a Kahr PM9 and a LCR .38 and was a horrible shot with both of those. For me the LC9S was a huge improvement.

Nah for real though, I carry it because it is the most concealable pistol that I can still confidently reach out to further targets. I'm talking 50 yards on an 18x30 torso target. For a subcompact 9mm I consider that good. I know self defense distances are usually 3 yards but I still want to have a fighting chance against the slim probability of facing someone with a rifle. I've carried a Kahr PM9 and a LCR .38 and was a horrible shot with both of those. For me the LC9S was a huge improvement.
I like the bodyguard. Throwing in the pocket. Done. I just like making bad jokes

I would submit that the M&P9C is significantly larger than both the 938 & the LC9S. Very few guns in the 9mm micro class shoot as well as the 938, I'm just not a fan of the manual safety/cocked hammer which is why I switched to the 365. I would have no problem recommending the LC9S to a new shooter looking to carry, or an M&P9C either for that matter, although in my experience a new shooter will be more likely to actually carry the Ruger.

938s need a lot of tlc though... the recoil springs wear after 500 rounds

Probably wouldn't recommend one to a newbie

938s need a lot of tlc though... the recoil springs wear after 500 rounds

Probably wouldn't recommend one to a newbie

I definitely wouldn't recommend one to a newb. In fact, unless you already own one I wouldn't recommend one for someone buying a micro 9, there are just too many better options out there now (this coming from a guy who owned both the 238 & 938).

Back
Top Bottom