• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LCIDPA Sua Sponte Match; some days you just win.

allen-1

NES Member
Low Country IDPA club shoots a "Sua Sponte" match each year. It's a fundraiser for Rangers, (Home | Sua Sponte Foundation). This year was the 11th year we've had the match and I think the fourth time I've been to it.

I'll try to be somewhat brief - but there's a lot that goes into this match. As Abiel posted, it's a full day event, we're using every piece of steel we've got - show up early, help setup and stick around afterwards to help tear it down before the raffles.

We had three stages, plus an optional full auto stage setup and run by Daniel Defense. My friend Chris was competing in the three other stages and responsible for DD's stage. Chris brought a couple full-auto AR's, a couple of demo guns, and a DDM4A1 to be raffled off.

Stage 1 had 27 pieces of steel, (including a polish star with 10 pieces on it and a moving bar with 6 pieces on it), 12 paper targets, a tunnel and a 60 second par time. Stage 2 was simpler, it had 7 pieces of steel and 12 paper targets, with one target being a swinger. Stage 3 had three stars, a swinger, a dropdown and 7 or 9 paper targets. Your basic outlaw match, time plus points (IDPA scoring), with each point down worth 1/2 second and misses costing you 5 points - but USPSA like divisions and movement rules.

We had 50+ shooters, 2 DQ's (1 broke the 180, 1 put their firearm on the table for an unloaded start while their RO was downrange). I ran my CO gun, a G34 with an SRO on it with 5 mags on my belt, (std capacity - each holds 17 rounds). I managed to actually run the stages as I'd planned them, and finished in the top 10. Which I'm pleased with - given the skill of some of the guys I was competing against. Rick's a GM for example, and the two guys I don't know who beat me are both Rangers. My friend Chris beat me too; I'm working on catching up on him.

After the match, we pulled the raffle tickets. I'd brought some stuff for Jimmy to add to the raffles, (a sling, a couple of Magpul forearm covers, and some ammo). I bought tickets to the raffles also. I spent more than I usually would, because this is a fundraiser/charity that I support - and it only happens once a year.

So, I bought tickets to the general raffle, tickets for the pistol raffle and seriously splurged on tickets for the Daniel Defense AR.

Yeah, you know the punchline that's coming, right? My ticket was drawn out of the bucket - I did the 4473 with Chris at Daniel Defense yesterday and took my new gun to the range.

Pics are in November acquisitions thread.

Low Country IDPA club shoots a "Sua Sponte" match each year. It's a fundraiser for Rangers, (Home | Sua Sponte Foundation). This year was the 11th year we've had the match and I think the fourth time I've been to it.

I'll try to be somewhat brief - but there's a lot that goes into this match. As Abiel posted, it's a full day event, we're using every piece of steel we've got - show up early, help setup and stick around afterwards to help tear it down before the raffles.

We had three stages, plus an optional full auto stage setup and run by Daniel Defense. My friend Chris was competing in the three other stages and responsible for DD's stage. Chris brought a couple full-auto AR's, a couple of demo guns, and a DDM4A1 to be raffled off.

Stage 1 had 27 pieces of steel, (including a polish star with 10 pieces on it and a moving bar with 6 pieces on it), 12 paper targets, a tunnel and a 60 second par time. Stage 2 was simpler, it had 7 pieces of steel and 12 paper targets, with one target being a swinger. Stage 3 had three stars, a swinger, a dropdown and 7 or 9 paper targets. Your basic outlaw match, time plus points (IDPA scoring), with each point down worth 1/2 second and misses costing you 5 points - but USPSA like divisions and movement rules.

We had 50+ shooters, 2 DQ's (1 broke the 180, 1 put their firearm on the table for an unloaded start while their RO was downrange). I ran my CO gun, a G34 with an SRO on it with 5 mags on my belt, (std capacity - each holds 17 rounds). I managed to actually run the stages as I'd planned them, and finished in the top 10. Which I'm pleased with - given the skill of some of the guys I was competing against. Rick's a GM for example, and the two guys I don't know who beat me are both Rangers. My friend Chris beat me too; I'm working on catching up on him.

After the match, we pulled the raffle tickets. I'd brought some stuff for Jimmy to add to the raffles, (a sling, a couple of Magpul forearm covers, and some ammo). I bought tickets to the raffles also. I spent more than I usually would, because this is a fundraiser/charity that I support - and it only happens once a year.

So, I bought tickets to the general raffle, tickets for the pistol raffle and seriously splurged on tickets for the Daniel Defense AR.

Yeah, you know the punchline that's coming, right? My ticket was drawn out of the bucket - I did the 4473 with Chris at Daniel Defense yesterday and took my new gun to the range.

Pics are in November acquisitions thread.
Sounds like a good time.
Congratulations on the new DD, very nice!!!!

Back
Top Bottom