LE in New England

I guess as an offshoot to that, what about taking non-emergency orders? IE humanitarian missions that last a couple months? This would be a virtual career killer in private legal practice, but I imagine LE would be more flexible?

Mike

I guess as an offshoot to that, what about taking non-emergency orders? IE humanitarian missions that last a couple months? This would be a virtual career killer in private legal practice, but I imagine LE would be more flexible?

Mike

Federal, good to go. State or local, YMMV.

There are limits - too much mil leave has implications on retirement.

Or Vice versa. Know many cops that went on orders because it was
More money. You can buy up to 4 years of active duty time back.

I personally know of one guy who got fired from a federal job for going on orders. He let slip that he volunteered for the orders and the boss told him if he left he would be fired.

He did leave and was fired. He sued but lost the case in court. Another guy left for a year long deployment 2 weeks after getting hired. We were badly understaffed and working 30+ hours of OT a week. They finally get a new body and poof he's gone.

They couldn't fire him, but once his probation was up, they didn't renew him.

I personally know of one guy who got fired from a federal job for going on orders. He let slip that he volunteered for the orders and the boss told him if he left he would be fired.

He did leave and was fired. He sued but lost the case in court. Another guy left for a year long deployment 2 weeks after getting hired. We were badly understaffed and working 30+ hours of OT a week. They finally get a new body and poof he's gone.

I'd like to know what agency did this. My agency bends over backwards for deployments.

There are plenty of air units throughout the US, I have a buddy in Houston who's some kind of helicopter pilot.

The biggest issue I find with most people who think about going fed is the high probability of having to leave 'home'. Almost anything else can be taken care of.

The issue with National Guard aviation is it's not like the reserves where you can just transfer units. That state pays for your flight training, so they want to keep you.

Mike

There has to be more than that. The fury of god comes down on those that fire vets for no reason besides deploying. There was a siding company in philipston that did that
I believe. They got crucified. Also the congressional delegation weighs on on this as well. It gets attention. But probation will get you. That’s what happened to me in that POS town of Framingham.

With your JD, go Fed or go back into the military as a JAG.

Sorry, late to this, but 100% agree with Mark. FBI is full of lawyers, so is DEA. Best friend from HS got his JD, then went DEA. If you like being a lawyer, but want military, again, Mark is spot on with his suggestion of being a JAG. Either of those 2 choices, if you don't like it after a few years gives you a great resume for a career change as well. Just my 2c.

If I were more enthusiastic about a career in law, or perhaps less enthusiastic about trying to become a pilot in the military, I'd give JAG much more consideration. I know a couple JAGs who are generally happier than my friends who are civilian lawyers. As I mentioned, however, I am working on going Army (Guard) aviation, and I can't do that concurrently with JAG.

Mike

One other option, look at CBP AMO, they have all kinds of air assets. It's tough to get in, but it's a pretty sweet do nothing gig...........

If I were more enthusiastic about a career in law, or perhaps less enthusiastic about trying to become a pilot in the military, I'd give JAG much more consideration. I know a couple JAGs who are generally happier than my friends who are civilian lawyers. As I mentioned, however, I am working on going Army (Guard) aviation, and I can't do that concurrently with JAG.

Mike

The irony of course is all you need is a high school diploma to fly helicopters in the Army [grin]

The irony of course is all you need is a high school diploma to fly helicopters in the Army [grin]

If I had known that when I started high school I probably would have went on a different trajectory military wise. By my sophomore year I was drinking the USMC kool aid, however. I'm definitely glad I did though. Being a Marine was pretty awesome, but I say that from the outside now. I do wish I either A. Stayed in the reserves these past 3 years so I didn't have a break in service or B. Pursued WOFT more vigorously when I got back from Afghanistan. I had made a couple calls at that point but my unit was not granting any conditional releases, so I put it on the back burner.

I'll make a thread in the military section probably, there have been a couple members here who have been very helpful. The Guard is more competitive than active duty for aviation slots, so even though a HS diploma may be all that is required, I anticipate many/most of the other applicants having degrees.

Mike

There has to be more than that. The fury of god comes down on those that fire vets for no reason besides deploying. .

It was a voluntary deployment. The department was seriously understaffed and everyone was working 60+ hours a week. This guy got sick of it and took a set of orders to get away from a while.

On a phone conference about it, the big boss gave him the ultimatum. If you leave, you're not coming back. The guy called his bluff and was let go.

I guess I should mention that he was still on probation. So there were less hoops to jump through for management to dump him.

It was also a blatantly toxic work place

It was a voluntary deployment. The department was seriously understaffed and everyone was working 60+ hours a week. This guy got sick of it and took a set of orders to get away from a while.

On a phone conference about it, the big boss gave him the ultimatum. If you leave, you're not coming back. The guy called his bluff and was let go.

I guess I should mention that he was still on probation. So there were less hoops to jump through for management to dump him.

It was also a blatantly toxic work place

We had a guy deploy for a year in Iraq or Afghanistan while on probation (literally weeks after his academy ended), when he got back, he was past his probation and the in service testing. They just reissued his sidearm and off he went. Most of the fed LEO ranks are hurting so bad for people, they absolutely will bend over for deployments. Our failure rate on the poly is something like 80%, but we poly early in the process. Most of the 'real' agencies poly later and weed out the undesirables earlier.

I wouldn't let that one incident or agency tarnish how most of the other agencies operate.

The irony that the Army (essentially) jammed up someone for deploying with the Army.

I've heard it is much easier said than done vs reserves. Maybe that's bum scoop.

Mike

ANG pilot transfers still have to go through a hiring board - just not the same as if you have to go through UPT. Rated boards are separate from non-rated. Pilots can get picked up through a rated board even if they still have a commitment to the military. Of course, it sounds like Army Guard is where you really want to be anyway...

Back
Top Bottom