Lead free primers

milktree

NES Member
Are lead free primers available anywhere?

The particular problem I want to solve is shooting indoors with rubber bullets. By "rubber bullets" I mean “0.358" diameter projectiles made out of rubber” that are powered only by a primer, no powder.

With limited ventilation, I don't want to use normal primers.

This could be the greatest deception since the final chapter of The Never Ending Story. (Simpson, Homer)

"Slightly different than standard Fiocchi primers, these Earth-friendly primers are made with all lead-free components and are safe for use in all indoor ranges. They also have a 15 year shelf life as long as they are kept in a cool, dry place. "​

But, note the CA Prop 65 warning for this product:

"WARNING: This product can expose you to Lead, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov. "​

what about all the other junk in the primers ?
If the air quality in the range is suspect you need to worry more for all the "other" shooters stuff in the air also.

just a few things in primers---
diazodinitrophenol ---is the lead substitute?

What type of offf gassing might be coming off those rubber bullets ? Are they rubber or plastic ?

few more thing that are in primers , may or may not be in "lead free" primers.
I remeber post 2010 you could not find primers and the lead free where the last to leave the shelves, I heard some complain that they where not detonating as well. So they might not be good enough for rubber bullets.

Mercury fulminate20% to 50%
Antimony trisulfide8% to 18%
Lead peroxide15% to 25%
Calcium silicide8% to 20%
Tetrazene4% to

These are the rubber bullets:

The range in question is (nominally) OK for air pistols, which have lead projectiles. But air projectiles don't get aerated the way crap in primers does, hence the extra caution.

The problem I'm trying to solve is how to give students *some* idea of how a real gun works and feels without using the hotter-than-hell indoor range in the summer.

Yes, I know it's not a valid substitute, and I'm not going to pretend it's anything other than sight alignment and trigger practice. But it's better than nothing.

If I can't get any lead-free primers, the problem is moot, anyway. (everything I've found so far is discontinued or backordered forever)

These are the rubber bullets:

The range in question is (nominally) OK for air pistols, which have lead projectiles. But air projectiles don't get aerated the way crap in primers does, hence the extra caution.

The problem I'm trying to solve is how to give students *some* idea of how a real gun works and feels without using the hotter-than-hell indoor range in the summer.

Yes, I know it's not a valid substitute, and I'm not going to pretend it's anything other than sight alignment and trigger practice. But it's better than nothing.

If I can't get any lead-free primers, the problem is moot, anyway. (everything I've found so far is discontinued or backordered forever)
man those are expensive! just load up these heck for the money you where going to spend you couyld by the special cases the place below sells

you could always use wax bullets?
Just a Note when shooting primer only loads in a revolver you often need to drill out the primer hole or

I just use wax thats about 3/8" thick in a tray and cookie cut the cases right into them. 32 sw , 38spl

do you think these kids are more exposed to lead from primers or loading their air rifles?

its probablly harder to find N100 lead dust masks also? Heck if you can find them it would be easier to just mask up. They should be used to it by now??

Last edited:
man those are expensive!

er... no, they're not. You can reuse them like 10,000 times. (or until you lose them)

Put a cardboard box behind the target and they don't go anywhere.

You don't even need that many, 'cuz you can stuff them into primed cases with your fingers.

That means if I have a box of 50 projectiles and 5,000 primed cases I can keep shooting until I run out of primed cases.

Just a Note when shooting primer only loads in a revolver you often need to drill out the primer hole.

Understood. That's what I've done on my .38 brass for these.

I just use wax thats about 3/8" thick in a tray and cookie cut the cases right into them. 32 sw , 38spl

Oh! That's clever!

do you think these kids are more exposed to lead from primers or loading their air rifles?

Adults, this is a temporary proxy for people who want their BFS cert. I don't feel comfortable pretending a safety course is a safety course without something that actually looks like live fire. Probably give them a chit to come back for live fire when it doesn't suck so much to be in the range.

its probablly harder to find N100 lead dust masks also? Heck if you can find them it would be easier to just mask up. They should be used to it by now??

Good idea, but the range gets used by other people, so "don't pollute the range" is the only viable option here.

er... no, they're not. You can reuse them like 10,000 times. (or until you lose them)

Put a cardboard box behind the target and they don't go anywhere.

You don't even need that many, 'cuz you can stuff them into primed cases with your fingers.

That means if I have a box of 50 projectiles and 5,000 primed cases I can keep shooting until I run out of primed cases.

Understood. That's what I've done on my .38 brass for these.

Oh! That's clever!

Adults, this is a temporary proxy for people who want their BFS cert. I don't feel comfortable pretending a safety course is a safety course without something that actually looks like live fire. Probably give them a chit to come back for live fire when it doesn't suck so much to be in the range.

Good idea, but the range gets used by other people, so "don't pollute the range" is the only viable option here.
Nice, good luck. Shooters might just have to suck it up and use a non air gun range?

man those are expensive! just load up these heck for the money you where going to spend you couyld by the special cases the place below sells

you could always use wax bullets?
Just a Note when shooting primer only loads in a revolver you often need to drill out the primer hole or

Bring a few of those to the casting seminar. We need to have a duel.

Back
Top Bottom