• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Learning to shoot a gun

strangenh

NES Member
Today a co-worker of MrsStrangeNH said he'd like to learn to shoot a gun.

I think this is a subject that deserves considerable thought. I'm not one of those that thinks it's OK to just go out there with a newbie and have them shoot a gun.

There's a lot of introspection that needs to happen first. Shooting your first gun can bring up deep emotions, from fear to regret.

Ultimately, it's important that it go well, but also it's key there be nothing negative; no regrets. No thinking, "That was horrible; how could I do that!" No second guessing. No, "I wish I could take that back."

So I feel that starting with a Jennings is part of a good foundation.

At 25 yards, a new shooter can hit a Jennings 25 handily with a 9mm carbine and feel little remorse as it shatters.

Eventually, you can work the shooter up to hitting a Raven or Lorcin with a .308 at 100 yards.

The shooting sports represent something of a cultural hurdle for many new entrants. It is upon us to ensure each newbie makes it over the hurdle where budget is all that matters.

It's not that big a deal imo. Just don't hand him/her the S&W 500 first go. Teach and reinforce proper gun safety. I've taken all sorts of new people; all loved it.

I think this is a subject that deserves considerable thought. I'm not one of those that thinks it's OK to just go out there with a newbie and have them shoot a gun.

There's a lot of introspection that needs to happen first. Shooting your first gun can bring up deep emotions, from fear to regret.

Ultimately, it's important that it go well, but also it's key there be nothing negative; no regrets. No thinking, "That was horrible; how could I do that!" No second guessing. No, "I wish I could take that back."

At 25 yards, a new shooter can hit a Jennings 25 handily with a 9mm carbine and feel little remorse as it shatters.

Eventually, you can work the shooter up to hitting a Raven or Lorcin with a .308 at 100 yards.

The shooting sports represent something of a cultural hurdle for many new entrants. It is upon us to ensure each newbie makes it over the hurdle where budget is all that matters.

Jesus you sound like my wife's friends talking about anal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NICE!!! You almost got me with that until I read further.... [rofl]

-Mike

A friend of mine asked what would be a good gun for his wife, I said "I don't know, how big is she?"
Another friend got a 1911 for his wife, best trade he's ever made.

Glocks are the 'steel targets' of gun shooting. You can shoot then all day long and they will still work fine, just watch YouTube.

And always make sure it is unloaded before you shoot it!

Last edited:
budget doesn't matter....that's why we have credit cards. You just have to teach them how to make the list....you now, which one will I get first and second and so on....

As she gets better have her try hitting the carbine with the Jennings...

I still don't get it. Are we talking about cheap guns or a first homosexual encounter?!?!

I think the guy from ADCO that did the gruesome torture test to his G21 shot it several times. I forget with what, but it was fine after haha. He shot the slide obviously, not the grip.

Back
Top Bottom