Leaving an unloaded gun in a lockbox

I live in Massachusetts. My company does not allow firearms inside the building so I usually leave my gun at home. There are a lot of times when I make stops on the way home and even just in traffic when I am unarmed. If I bought a compact gun (like a SR9c) and left it unloaded in a tethered lockbox in my car is that legal? I would leave a magazine with some rounds in the glove box or another storage compartment. I do have a class A unrestricted.

Yes, that is legal, per my understanding. No need to lock ammo seperately, but gun needs to be unloaded if you are driving and it is not under your direct control.

Check out console vaults for storage, depending on what you drive.

Mag out of firearm in same lock box is Ok

Really? I figured the law was to prevent someone from having a loaded working gun if stolen. If they get the box open, all they have to do is pop the mag in.

I have one of these in each car with the cable around the seat frame. My question is more can I leave this in the car when I'm not there. So while I am inside at work and the car is in the parking lot.

https://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV3...UTF8&qid=1473554772&sr=8-6&keywords=gun+vault

Legal? Yes it is.

How advisable is another issue. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a gun in my car 200+ days/year. YMMV

Really? I figured the law was to prevent someone from having a loaded working gun if stolen. If they get the box open, all they have to do is pop the mag in.

I have one of these in each car with the cable around the seat frame. My question is more can I leave this in the car when I'm not there. So while I am inside at work and the car is in the parking lot.

https://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV3...UTF8&qid=1473554772&sr=8-6&keywords=gun+vault
I have the similar case you posted and yes you can leave the Mag next to the Gun, where is the 1st place a thief would look? Your glove box or center console if they find a Mag then they might start searching for the gun. I usually only use mine when I go to 2 places, the Post Office and My little ones school

Last edited:
Mag out of firearm in same lock box is Ok

Mag out of the firearm, and no round in the chamber.

As for worries about it being stolen, how often are cars broken into where you park? Keep it hidden. The cable is a nice add on, but it's not required to be compliant.

The law is not "designed" to prevent theft, it's a "safe storage" law.

ETA: the unloaded condition is for transport. Storage can be loaded, but since it's in a car and (seeing the definition of "operating" WRT drinking, just sitting in a parking lot may be transportation. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Keep the ammo and firearm in the same locked box. If the car is parked, you can store it loaded (storage) but you cannot transport it loaded unless on your direct person. I'd not store the ammo in the glove box. A locked glove box does not suffice for storage for a firearm and I'd not want to try my luck with storage of ammo (transport does not require ammo to be locked).

Legal? Yes it is.

How advisable is another issue. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a gun in my car 200+ days/year. YMMV

This X100. I have on occasion left it in the car when I went to a school event and forgot to leave it at home. I was nervous about it the whole time. Schools are the only place I worry about concealment because usually we are sitting in the bleachers or something like that.

If your worried about theft, you can take the barrel out and put it in your pocket.
That way a thief wont be stealing a working firearm.

Is it just inside the building where firearms are not allowed or anywhere on their property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure, but if it's locked in the car, no one is the wiser. I want it more for the ride to and from work or if I stop at the mall or something.

I am fortunate that I don't need to leave my gun in the car very often and where I live you don't need to have it unloaded or locked, permit or not. It just has to be out of plain sight if you don't have a CHL.

With all the guns being left in cars, stolen guns from vehicle are on the rise just about everywhere, especially larger cities. If I was not allowed to carry at work I would find a good way to secure my gun in the car as I would at least want to be armed to and from work and anywhere I might stop in between.

The problem with most of the small cabled lock boxes is that they are very thin gauge steel, the locks are not very good, and the cables are tiny, but hey they are only $30, right? They might keep you legal in your state, maybe stop the laziest of smash and grab thieves or at least the ones without a screwdriver or pair of dikes in their pocket.

I would look at a more secure way to keep my gun in the car if I had to do that on a regular basis. Too bad a locked car really isn't enough and did I mention I HATE thieves! Don't make it easy on them. [thinking]

Not sure, but if it's locked in the car, no one is the wiser. I want it more for the ride to and from work or if I stop at the mall or something.

Don't forget Pepper Spray.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepper-blaster/

2vxpxu1.jpg

Always use the minimal effective method to end a threat.

I keep one in the Glove Box. Always. It is legal to do so.

Do keep in mind it is still illegal on School Grounds, and probably all the other typical prohibited areas.

And if you are ever stopped by a LEO, and you need to get into that Glove Box, it is advisable to inform the Officer there is Pepper Spray in there, and it WILL appear to be a Firearm.

Last edited:
I am always afraid of pepper spray leaking in my car. So I don't carry it in my car. I commute 2 hours round trip per day. Unarmed with nothing. Which sucks.

The Kimber has a "Safety" in front of the trigger, and I keep it in a Holster they make for them as well.

It's been through Mass Summer and Winter, and I am confident it will not explode on its own.

But everyone's risk tolerance is different.

Unless your work has metal detectors, concealed is concealed

Yes of course, we all know that, hell it gets said in just about every thread where it's even partially relevant, usually a dozen times. Many of us have jobs we like, pay well and the risk reward just isn't there. I carry almost everywhere legal but choose not to at my office where if it was ever discovered I would be fired. Yes there is a chance I might need it at work to save my life and then I wouldn't care about being fired. We all weigh our choices against risk and reward, or I assume most do. The "concealed is concealed" standard auto reply is pretty weak IMO.

Yes of course, we all know that, hell it gets said in just about every thread where it's even partially relevant, usually a dozen times. Many of us have jobs we like, pay well and the risk reward just isn't there. I carry almost everywhere legal but choose not to at my office where if it was ever discovered I would be fired. Yes there is a chance I might need it at work to save my life and then I wouldn't care about being fired. We all weigh our choices against risk and reward, or I assume most do. The "concealed is concealed" standard auto reply is pretty weak IMO.
I agree. I work on cars. With all the bending and contorting of my body, it would be hard to have a gun on my hip all day and be comfortable without the risk of it being seen. I got some good advice here but I think I know what my decision will be.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom