• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Leaving your firearm in your MV.

I ALWAYS carry a firearm when outside the home except for extremely rare instances where it would just be goofy. Like the beach! Do you have any idea how difficult it is to conceal even a little Seacamp .32 in your speedo? I'm afraid I do carry in prohibited places like the Post Office, banks etcetera but A wise man told me decades ago that " Concealed means concealed". Then there those other situations where you should definitely not carry like federal buildings with metal detectors.
Long winded but I guess my question is how you secure your gun in a MV? Do you put it in the trunk? Lock it to a seat support or lock it in glove compartment or what? Am I breaking the law by disassembling it? I tuck a recoil spring here, a barrel there and ammo and frame get stashed separately as well. Does the frame make what I'm doing illegal? In reality I don't think they would ever find all the components and how long does it take to break it down? 15 seconds if your taking your time so it's easy enough.
So what do you guys do??
TY

Subbing for more info.

Ive read lightly on this subject. Ideally I think you’d want a truck vault. Or center console vault. I’ve read some people have bolted a gun lock box under their seats for storage.
Hopefully others can chime in.

I can't think of the last time I went into a no carry zone. Post office? Bank? All online. School? All my kids are like 40. If'n there's a rifle onboard it's typically in a locked case whether it needs to be or not. As far as the Speedo thing your on your own. I'm tired of the chicks asking me if that's a 45 in my shorts.

Last edited:
I have a Vaultek VT 20 with a cable tether that I have attached in my truck. Anytime I leave the house it goes with me just in case I have to make that rare stop where I can't carry, such as my son's school (not much of an issue right now). I leave it loaded and put it in the safe.

I'd check into the storage law.

I don't know of any law that prohibits someone from carrying a firearm in a bank, in MA. Someone else brought this up to me not long ago saying "Oh it's a law alright... Trust me." and when I asked him to cite that law, he couldn't of course.

Or, this...

View attachment 405647

And, I leave it loaded...

This is exactly what I have for the 4Runner which has no trunk. In my '83 Mustang the trunk is only accessible by the key so that works.

I don't know of any law that prohibits someone from carrying a firearm in a bank, in MA. Someone else brought this up to me not long ago saying "Oh it's a law alright... Trust me." and when I asked him to cite that law, he couldn't of course.

Ya, It's privet property... not a school... What's the problem?

people on this forum: the healy press conference is a joke, no ones ever been prosecuted, i'll build whatever the f*** i want.

also people on this forum: when i go to the bank to ask the teller what my balance is, i unload my bodyguard 380 and i securely store it in a locked container that is hidden in the engine bay and tethered to the engine mounts

and before anyone gets on my dick, yes i understand one is a law and one isnt. its just funny to observe the spectrum of behaviors

people on this forum: the healy press conference is a joke, no ones ever been prosecuted, i'll build whatever the f*** i want.

also people on this forum: when i go to the bank to ask the teller what my balance is, i unload my bodyguard 380 and i securely store it in a locked container that is hidden in the engine bay and tethered to the engine mounts

and before anyone gets on my dick, yes i understand one is a law and one isnt. its just funny to observe the spectrum of behaviors

Ya, your point? ;)

otherwise it in a locked case in the trunk.
For me, the last place I would ever store a gun is in the trunk.
You'd be surprised how many eyes watch you put something, ANYTHING, in the trunk and liberate it when you leave.
Nope; trunks are for spare tires, jumper cables, groceries and bodies...

That said, I use a Gun Vault (keyed) under the passenger's seat. When I get where I'm going (and Rosco needs a break)
I smoothly reach back under the seat, pull out lockbox, put it in my lap, insert Rosco and slip it back under the seat. Slicker than covid snot...

And, don't go rubber-necking around to see if you are being 'watched' while putting your gun to rest.
Scan when pulling into a spot, That's when you should be looking around... because that 'looks normal'.
Don't just look for passers-by or hang-arounds either. Look for heads sitting in cars or looking out 2nd floor windows.
You can get pretty good at 'scanning'... if you do it every time.

t's like playing poker... never let them see your "tell"...

Lastly:
These metal gun lockboxes don't have to stay the color you buy them.
Got a Cream colored interior? They've got a rattle-can color for that! Red?... Same.

Last edited:
i think many people would agree that all aspects of gun ownership in MA operates on a spectrum of risk analysis

i consider the risk of anyone finding out i didnt properly secure my firearm in my car to be very low

i guess if you frequent high crime areas and smash and grabs are frequent... then i would think differently

but at that point, u should make every effort to have your gun on you and not in your car

Back
Top Bottom