Left-handed ejection port for pistols

Gun sales are not good right now. Business is off over 65%. Several companies over the years have offered left hand ejected guns. All were flops.
I think the other problem is people don't understand that most lefties don't care which direction the gun ejection as long as the brass isn't hitting them in the face during normal operation. I also think most of these people would just assume by a pistol that's more ambidextrous rather than buying a gun that's "left only" because of the obvious drop in value out of the gate. A gun that appeals to a wide spectrum of buyers is more valuable and easier to sell than a gun that appeals to less than 10% of potential buyers....

Gun sales are not good right now. Business is off over 65%. Several companies over the years have offered left hand ejected guns. All were flops.
I think most “left handed “ guns are designed by Right Handed people
Other than bullpup with extreme to the rear side ejection most LH guns are, well not needed.

I think the other problem is people don't understand that most lefties don't care which direction the gun ejection as long as the brass isn't hitting them in the face during normal operation. I also think most of these people would just assume by a pistol that's more ambidextrous rather than buying a gun that's "left only" because of the obvious drop in value out of the gate. A gun that appeals to a wide spectrum of buyers is more valuable and easier to sell than a gun that appeals to less than 10% of potential buyers....
“Real” “true” lefties dont even notice its a “right handed” gun

Back in my early yourh I did buy a LH 870 , the ejector broke with in 200 rounds. Whem I went to get it fixed it was the “typical”
Oh thats a LH model , parts are “expensive/hard to get”
I managed to find the ejector and was able to restake and get it back into action. I went to Kittery Dumping Grounds and traded it in for a right hand 870 express .
I lost $30 on the deal, lol. That RH 870 is still going strong today

Anyone thinking of doing this should call up Fender and Gibson, who have decades of market research about how many lefty devices to make and how much market share they'll soak up.

Hint: it's not a winning proposition. They only make a tiny fraction, because they know they have to. They don't really expect to make much off lefties.

Wouldn't you have to move the ejector to make the brass eject to the left? That would mean a whole new redesigned frame and that would make for a very expensive project.
And what about the air bag? (slot in slide that mates with oversize hammer pivot pin to keep slide captive if it autobifurcates). Will you keep that as is or mirror that as well?

Reminds of some left handed 1911's like the AMT and the Falcon Portsider. A nightmare if you need a new ejector, extractor, slide stop, safety, etc.

Randall Firearms Company was the first firm to successfully solve the galling problem inherent in making 1911s out of stainless steel.

Then they decided to make a mirror-image 1911, which was a beautiful piece of engineering. A mere 6.4% of their output was lefty, and that was too much.

Because about a year later, they went bankrupt.

The end.

I have a LH Stag AR, a LH Thumb Rest on my Ruger Slab Side and last fall I bought a LH Ruger 10/22, which I have yet to shoot. That's a very small percentage of my inventory. My daily carry is a G21, I just release the slide with my index finger, easy peasy. I probably have a dozen Bolt Action Rifles, predominantly 91/30 Mosins. I don't care about the ejection, it's the bolt that's a pain in the ass.

Give me ambi controls and I'm happy

Why would you want to offer or develop a gun that you could only market to about 15% of gun owners? I’ve been a lefty all my life, but have only been shooting since 1991, and I would never buy a left handed pistol. There’s no reason for it. I will put an ambidextrous safety on a 1911 if I bought one. I don’t even swap out the mag catch on my pistols. They all work just fine for both lefties and righties.

There’s actually a very good reason no major company makes a left handed pistol. I’m sure they considered it, and decided against it. It’s just not feasible.

A pistol doesn’t eject differently whether you’re holding it left or right handed. What are you guys doing, riding your pistol side-saddle??

Im adding this to my vocabulary but will give you a citation.... 10/10. Superb

View: https://youtu.be/PZ_7ipJ6Cx8

My dad would be happy , thats what he called kittery back in the 70-80 and into the 90s< we stopped goes early 90s ,when I was a kid. Kittery was a regular stop. Not only a dumping ground for all that is not wanted , could also pick up some ok deals. When I was a kid they had a 22 for $22 barrel of rifles. Banged up and forgotten , Often they where just missing sights or had red patina , made great summer projects.

I know what software I'd need to design it, I'm a machinist and know a bit of coding, I just didn't know if there were any CAD drawings available for download on the parts I need. There is no reason for it, you're right, it's purely cosmetic. I'm customizing one 92 with something unique, and the other (the left-handed one) a bit differently, but the two are going to be related in a way.

I got the idea from someone over on the Smith and Wesson forums. He had two M1911's, one blued and one stainless, but one of them was flipped. He named them "Ebony and Ivory", and after reading on I saw that he got the idea from a video game called "Devil May Cry", where the main character dual wields the very same pistols (except they have dust covers and 3-port compensators).

It's a big waste of money, I know, but that's all I want to do right now and I don't have any heavy future purchases in mind.
Big waste of money for sure (only to some people) but I am right there with you. More like an air loom to pass down for generations for me! It is just something I’ve always wanted to have done. Yet I have 2 glock 17L’s which I want to flip one of them to left side port ejection. Plus other mods but for this post just the left side port eject. And if I would be much appreciated if there is any to be given. Thanks in advance.

Big waste of money for sure (only to some people) but I am right there with you. More like an air loom heirloom to pass down for generations for me! It is just something I’ve always wanted to have done. Yet I have 2 glock 17L’s which I want to flip one of them to left side port ejection. Plus other mods but for this post just the left side port eject. And if I would be much appreciated if there is any to be given. Thanks in advance.
FIFY

Back
Top Bottom