Left round in, others done this?

Was wondering how many others have done this. Yesterday will visiting my range and using a rented Sig 226, I shot the ten rounds I put in the mag/clip. Or at least I thought so. Reloaded and went to put the mag back in and there was number ten still chambered and ready to go.

I recently just got back into shooting and have never done this before. I must not have visually checked the chamber as I hope I always do. Obviously I miss counted somewhere.

Luckily the gun ways pointed down range the whole time and all my other safety habits worked.

Have others done this?

Even with cripplemags its often possible to actually load 11 rounds into the mags, if you press really hard. You probably put in 11 rounds, or you lost count of what was going on.

-Mike

Was it at Manchester Firing Line? I seem to remember renting their 226 once (before buying my own) and having a similar issue with the slide not locking back (they seemed to think the spring was in need of replacement) … of course that particular gun probably gets more rounds put through it in a month than I've fired in my lifetime.

Welcome to the forum. You learned a valuable lesson and didn't get hurt. Always check to see if the gun in loaded when picking up a firearm. Always check to see that it is unloaded when you go to put it away (assuming this is not a defensive firearm). You are not the first to have this happen and will not be the last. That is why safety rules are redundant.

At the range I shoot all 12 rounds from my SIG P229. If I carry I go 12+1.

I was at the range, took my SIG (as a carry gun), and shot off 12 rounds. Stupid, dumb, idiot me put the gun down and when "Huh? Why isn't the slide back? I shot all rounds"...Squeezed the trigger and BOOOOOM!!!!!

Won't make that mistake again!!! I was (fortunately) on my own to save embarrassment.

Was it at Manchester Firing Line? I seem to remember renting their 226 once (before buying my own) and having a similar issue with the slide not locking back (they seemed to think the spring was in need of replacement) … of course that particular gun probably gets more rounds put through it in a month than I've fired in my lifetime.

I've had this issue with my own 226 (which is fairly new) on PMC ammo - it just doesn't have quite enough oomph to lock back 100%. Winchester white box (or anything +P) has worked 100%.

You Sig types would know better..

But, could he have been given a 40 mag to use in a 9mm?
Some of you may remember the old trick of stuffing 11-12 9mm rounds into a 10 round 40 mag (berettas were always good for this)

I squeezed 11 rds into a 10 round 9mm mag before. It was a rental gun and definitely not done on purpose. I was curious why the slide didn't lock back, so I dropped the magazine, racked the slide back, and was surprised to see a round pop out.

Was wondering how many others have done this. Yesterday will visiting my range and using a rented Sig 226, I shot the ten rounds I put in the mag/clip. Or at least I thought so. Reloaded and went to put the mag back in and there was number ten still chambered and ready to go.
Before you put a firearm down to reload a magazine, I think one needs to visually ensure that the magazine has been removed, that the chamber is empty and then that the slide is locked back.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I keep pulling the trigger until the gun stops firing or the slide locks back. No matter what the count. I'm not going to bet mine or someone else's life on my count. When I pull the trigger and get nothing I hold the muzzle down range to be sure I don't have a misfire.

Such a mistake could never happen here in MA..thankfully the AG has ensured that we have notches cut into the slide so one can take note of chambered rounds [laugh]

All joking aside, I'm glad the story had a happy ending.

-MS

Even with cripplemags its often possible to actually load 11 rounds into the mags, if you press really hard. You probably put in 11 rounds, or you lost count of what was going on.

-Mike

Even still, trying to count rounds is a prescription for disaster. My drill before I case a gun is drop the mag, slide back, check for empty chamber, drop the slide, point it downrange, squeeze the trigger, then into the bag.

Hats off to the OP for fessing up. You were 9/10 of the way to a negligent discharge, but your final check broke the accident chain.

Hopefully we will all learn something frome this thread.

Thanks again to the OP for owning up to it.

Last edited:
Even still, this is a prescription for disaster. My drill before I case a gun is slide back, check for empty chamber, drop the slide, point it downrange, pull the trigger, then into the bag.
I don't pull the trigger, but before anything goes in any case, it always gets another check of the chamber... Same goes for anytime I pick something up - doesn't matter who did or didn't touch it last...

Evil gun gremlin ninjas could have come in and chambered one while I wasn't looking... [wink]

I have rented a number of guns (or perhaps the same gun multiple times) on which the slide did not reliably lock back. This either resulted in an unplanned dry fire practice (if I hadn't been counting well) or me being confused and racking the slide and finding the chamber empty.

It hasn't happened to me the other way yet though, where there is a round when I don't expect there to be.

Before you put a firearm down to reload a magazine, I think one needs to visually ensure that the magazine has been removed, that the chamber is empty and then that the slide is locked back.

Respectfully,
jkelly

+4 to you for this critical observation.

Many unintentional discharges are caused by a shooter improperly clearing a gun. With a magazine fed firearm it is ALWAYS: Remove magazine, then clear and verify the chamber is empty.

With Sigs, it is very common that the slide does not lock back once the last round has been fired. This is almost always due to the shooter's thumb riding the slide lock. It's just a function of the gun's ergonomics and happens all the time.

I know I'm stealing someones signature line here... but the 2 loudest sounds in the world.. a click when you expect a bang, and a bang when you expect a click.

+1 to the OP for remembering to follow good gun handling procedures and treat every gun as if it were loaded.

After reading posts and thinking more about this I think I figured out where I went wrong. I own a MkIII 10/45 and shoot this before shooting the rental(Still trying to figure out what I want). With the MkIII my routine is after I fire: put manual safety on, drop the mag and check chamber. Then I reload or lock and box up

With this Sig there is no manual safety. My routine was disrupted/I didn't have one for these setup. I am going to try and use the de-cocking lever in place of the manual safety. Also think about the routine before I shoot.

Thanks for all the tips!!

After reading posts and thinking more about this I think I figured out where I went wrong.

You bleeped up, it happens, we are human. I've done the same damn thing twice over the past 20 years. That's why you keep your finger off the trigger and keep the gun pointed in the same direction. People brag and bluster all the time on this board and no one admit mistakes. Let this be a lesson to all of us.

With this Sig there is no manual safety. My routine was disrupted/I didn't have one for these setup. I am going to try and use the de-cocking lever in place of the manual safety. Also think about the routine before I shoot.
Switching around guns with different safety features definitely forces you to stop and think...

I dropped the decocking/safety on the 92 without thinking about it after firing the Sig and although that is what I intended to do, hearing the hammer hit (knowing there was a round chambered) startled me because I was doing it on 92 auto-pilot...

This should go without saying, but on the Sig when you use the decocking lever, make sure you observe trigger discipline - I heard about an ND with a Sig and the decocking lever so I tried it. It will indeed fire if you pull the decocking lever down, press the trigger and then rapidly release the decocking lever.

Not surprisingly, the trigger/pin is not "disconnected" when the decocking lever is pulled down and the trigger is pressed... Not an order of operation I would have thought to try until I heard about the ND...

Step 1: Remove magazine.

Step 2: Check the chamber.

Step 3: Load next magazine - OR - pack up to go home.

If 1 and 2 are followed religiously, then that won't happen again. It's like getting in to the habit of always keeping your finger off the trigger until on target. Practice that with everything you pick up and it becomes 2nd nature when your holding a firearm.

Bad thing, you eff'd up. Good thing, you caught it without something really bad happening. You'll most likely be more aware of it now and will check because of the "oh crap" moment when you discovered it. [wink] [smile]

After reading posts and thinking more about this I think I figured out where I went wrong. I own a MkIII 10/45 and shoot this before shooting the rental(Still trying to figure out what I want). With the MkIII my routine is after I fire: put manual safety on, drop the mag and check chamber. Then I reload or lock and box up

I never use a decocker to drop the hammer on a gun after clearing it. Instead, I point it safely downrange and press the trigger. This serves as a final check that it's empty. I picked this up from the standard action pistol unload and show clear sequence, but I now do it at all times. I only have two routines for all detachable mag semi-autos.

Either:
chamber check/mag check to be sure it's fully loaded.
If not, insert full mag. If chamber is empty, rack slide, check chamber,remove mag and top off. If chamber is full, insert full mag.
Holster.

Or:
drop mag
lock slide open
check chamber for emptyness visually and look down through ejection port and magwell to make sure there's no mag
release slide
press trigger
holster (only on cold ranges) or case

Back
Top Bottom