• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legal Issues Around Engaging Active Shooters

"""There exists an escalated danger in the context of defense of others, however, in what I call the ambiguity risk. That’s just a fancy way of saying that when you come to the defense of another person you may not really know what’s going on, and you may not you have any degree of real confidence in how events will roll out after you’ve played the hero.

For example, is the person you’re defending really the innocent party in that fight, for example? Is it possible you’re defending the guilty party, and by extension using force against the innocent party? Can you be sure?""""

This part here...^^^^^ I've worked as a bouncer, bartender, manager, and owner of bars, restaurants and night clubs for over thirty years. I will NEVER AGAIN get in between a guy and a girl fighting. It (almost)...100% always ends up sideways. You will never win. You will never fix anything. You will ALWAYS lose. The girl WILL hit you over the head with a beer bottle from behind because that's HER boyfriend you are trying to save her from.

Do your best to separate them, and call the police. In the old days, we would never ever call the cops...I've had owners tell me if I call PD, it will be my last action with that particular company. Nowadays, at least on Cape, (at the moment...) they have told us to please, please call them. Let them do what they're paid to do... And... we won't end up in front of town council with a list of times we've called. Now, this does assume that we as bar owners/bartenders are doing OUR jobs properly too. It's a different world out there now though. I don't want a bunch of drunks in my bar. The Town knows that. PD knows that. They also know however, people aren't just drinking now. How can I possibly know what other drugs this individual has consumed? The problems now occur so fast. I give them one beer, then whatever they took previous to walking in my place kicks in...shitshow commences....

So far, (last two years with new policy) it has been a good collaboration between bar owners, PD, ABCC, and the town. It does take all of us respecting the SPIRIT of the law though vs the LETTER of the law. I know that is a tricky path too...and is definitely easier in a small town (yet tourist destination) setting.

fake edit: I definitely got off track here sorry, but I'll leave it because it's not horribly offtrack...

real edit: That's a great article.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom