• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legalities of self defense prepping.

On a serious note I have used a pistol in self defense. I pulled it when a couple guys came after me in a bathroom at a rest stop. They turned and ran when they saw the gun. I have run that scenario through my head a hundred times. I firmly believe that if I didnt have that pistol the outcome would have been someone, probably me, getting seriously injured. I also know that if they hadnt stopped I would have pulled the trigger. It would have been foolish of me to try to wrestle, grapple etc these two guys as I would have had to keep one hand on my holstered weapon so they couldnt get it. Maybe some pepper spray or something but in an enclosed area that would mess me up as much as them. To recommend to not use your most effective means of self defense because you are worried about liability is nuts. It is your life.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear it worked out for you, nobody needs that crap in their life. Good Job.
But I'm not talking about when you have the TIME or DISTANCE to draw. The ambush has not not started yet, what I am talking about is when you are in the shit the fight is on, taken by surprise, sucker punched and it's on!!!This happens so fast and with such aggressiveness. All you have time to do is hold on, maybe turn the tables on them, and find that tiny window of opportunity to find your weapon......With Luck and some training it is possible.

If you don't have empty hand skills, you will not know where you are in the combat flow and the chances of you getting to your weapon has greatly diminished.

The question is? do you think you can recover, draw your weapon and get off a round and have the awareness to see beyond the attacker so others will not get shot as well, all while the attacker is creating chaos and swarming you with strikes or even a knife. You would need to draw after the attack started.
I dug upsome old clips to show how fast it comes on you. the vids kinda suck but you should get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmIKfN5r6uY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhVQFdFPUBo

I like the way you move. Let's be honest though. If you're talking about recovering from the initial smackdowns you were laying on that dude... I'm going to go with the fact that a majority of people aren't going to. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are getting constantly stunned left and right by attackers on a daily basis (such as martial arts training), you probably aren't going to be able to reach your holstered weapon in time to shoot the attacker if you're already knee deep in the SHTF situation.

jmjkd - Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that post #64 clearly says what you really wanted to discuss? Talking about not having the time or distance to properly unholster and aim your weapon at the attacker(s) and that there should be OTHER methods of self defense you should consider as well.

I think we all agree that if you are somehow disadvantaged (age, size, multiple attackers, etc), pulling out your weapon is probably your best option, IF that is possible. Yes?

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you, nobody needs that crap in their life. Good Job.
But I'm not talking about when you have the TIME or DISTANCE to draw. The ambush has not not started yet, what I am talking about is when you are in the shit the fight is on, taken by surprise, sucker punched and it's on!!!This happens so fast and with such aggressiveness. All you have time to do is hold on, maybe turn the tables on them, and find that tiny window of opportunity to find your weapon......With Luck and some training it is possible.

If you don't have empty hand skills, you will not know where you are in the combat flow and the chances of you getting to your weapon has greatly diminished.

The question is? do you think you can recover, draw your weapon and get off a round and have the awareness to see beyond the attacker so others will not get shot as well, all while the attacker is creating chaos and swarming you with strikes or even a knife. You would need to draw after the attack started.
I dug upsome old clips to show how fast it comes on you. the vids kinda suck but you should get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmIKfN5r6uY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhVQFdFPUBo

You are all over the place. What exactly do you want to talk about? Descalating a situation? Using the minimum force necessary? Unarmed fighting skills?

I like the way you move. Let's be honest though. If you're talking about recovering from the initial smackdowns you were laying on that dude... I'm going to go with the fact that a majority of people aren't going to. ;)[/QUOT

You are right, and the average person is the majority, that 's one of my points. Just because one thinks they are going to draw they weapon and blow some dude away doesn’t mean they will be able to, that is a false sense of secuity.
This is why I take folks through a variety of tests so they can get a true baseline where they are.
Remember this clip was still a simulation. No one got hurt, but they could still feel the HEAT. NOW they can start to put their CQ firearms training into perspective because we are coming from hell.
Thank for posting I hope you continue...:)

Last edited:
Unless you are getting constantly stunned left and right by attackers on a daily basis (such as martial arts training), you probably aren't going to be able to reach your holstered weapon in time to shoot the attacker if you're already knee deep in the SHTF situation.

jmjkd - Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that post #64 clearly says what you really wanted to discuss? Talking about not having the time or distance to properly unholster and aim your weapon at the attacker(s) and that there should be OTHER methods of self defense you should consider as well.

I think we all agree that if you are somehow disadvantaged (age, size, multiple attackers, etc), pulling out your weapon is probably your best option, IF that is possible. Yes?

Yes!!!! getting to a weapon is the GOAL But not killing people is the goal as well for Civilians.
But shit happens.
It doesn't matter, size, sex, age, we are all at a disadvantage from the initial assault, but I understand what you mean. That is why this is not generically taught. People have specific needs and I can't tell that from the internet. I have to see you move, see how you react. Are you easily overwhelmed, quickly fatigue, in a wheel chair, deaf, bad back etc Once we get a baseline we can start to find the best route to your weapon “for you”.
I hope you continue posting as well.
Thank you for the input...:)

You are all over the place. What exactly do you want to talk about? Descalating a situation? Using the minimum force necessary? Unarmed fighting skills?

coastie - he is not talking about ANY of those things really. I know it was kind of unclear at the beginning but now I see that he's talking about alternative methods of self defense. You have weapon on you, great, but if you can't get to it for some reason, then what are you doing to do to protect yourself?

Yes!!!! getting to a weapon is the GOAL But not killing people is the goal as well for Civilians.
But shit happens.
It doesn't matter, size, sex, age, we are all at a disadvantage from the initial assault, but I understand what you mean. That is why this is not generically taught. People have specific needs and I can't tell that from the internet. I have to see you move, see how you react. Are you easily overwhelmed, quickly fatigue, in a wheel chair, deaf, bad back etc Once we get a baseline we can start to find the best route to your weapon “for you”.
I hope you continue posting as well.
Thank you for the input...:)

I am coming from a martial arts background myself :) Some people are more disadvantaged than others, but yes, I do agree that we are all disadvantaged from the get-go because we (as the victim) are not expecting to have to defend ourselves, so we're already late to the game. The attacker probably has thought it out so he knows when he's going to act, we are merely reacting to the attack.

coastie - he is not talking about ANY of those things really. I know it was kind of unclear at the beginning but now I see that he's talking about alternative methods of self defense. You have weapon on you, great, but if you can't get to it for some reason, then what are you doing to do to protect yourself?

I am coming from a martial arts background myself :) Some people are more disadvantaged than others, but yes, I do agree that we are all disadvantaged from the get-go because we (as the victim) are not expecting to have to defend ourselves, so we're already late to the game. The attacker probably has thought it out so he knows when he's going to act, we are merely reacting to the attack.

Absolutely!!! They are the offense, we are the defense, …..WE WANT THE BALL BACK.
We now have no need to speculate or make assumptions. We have a couple of vids to evaluate.

Notice in all the clips how the “other guy” reacts to the attack being dazed and confused...I hope you can see this was not scripted, their reactions are valid. .hands come up to protect the head while trying to grad, hold on and regain their senses....”Wrestling”
This is why I suggested this tool at the beginning, not because wrestling is better then a gun, but because research has shown this “trying to hold on reaction” is for the most part hardwired in.
Then Flight or Fight kicks in. If your a fighter you will need a plan. If you escaping you need a plan.

Absolutely!!! They are the offense, we are the defense, …..WE WANT THE BALL BACK.
We now have no need to speculate or make assumptions. We have a couple of vids to evaluate.

Notice in all the clips how the “other guy” reacts to the attack being dazed and confused...I hope you can see this was not scripted, their reactions are valid. .hands come up to protect the head while trying to grad, hold on and regain their senses....”Wrestling”
This is why I suggested this tool at the beginning, not because wrestling is better then a gun, but because research has shown this “trying to hold on reaction” is for the most part hardwired in.
Then Flight or Fight kicks in. If your a fighter you will need a plan. If you escaping you need a plan.

So the guy in the bike helmet, what did you tell him was going to happen to him? Surely he knew something was going to happen to him since he had a big ole bike helmet on LOL

Sure, I can believe the reaction was real. Even if he was expecting some type of attack from one of you guys standing there, I totally believe it real 'stunned' kind of reaction. So even though he may have expected the attack, he was still NOT really expecting it since he wasn't able to block or avoid it.

Sorry to say but that video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhVQFdFPUBo) was really painful to watch/ilsten to. The quality is just horrible....BUT it does explain exactly what you've been trying to discuss in this thread, I think, so it's worth a watch, guys!

Yup the quality of the vid is poor, but the point is clear. In close range, time and distance are the enemy if the only choice you HAVE is to draw a weapon. And no matter how you may WANT to apply this thinking, your unconscious mind or nervous system will override that thought and kick into the hardwired program and respond independently.

I'm not out here to prove right or wrong to what folks should do, just what actually happens in close range during a sudden violent attack.

You can't blame folks for their ignorance, if they don't know , they don't know. But now some do know, and they are to blame if they don't do something about it.
Now that you know you will be protecting your head and holding on for dear life....what next your in fear for your life?

You will need to accelerate the pressure back to the offender. For this we use
RAPID ASSAULT TACTICS. . This is the system used to train SEAL team 6, the system I used for the 10th SF, the system I used in Quantico for the FBI/DEA, and the system I used to train LE everywhere.

In short it is a way of putting overwhelming pressure on the offender using rapid punches followed by Headbutts, Elbows, and Knees, ( you saw some of this in the vid) stunning the offender and giving you the option ( time) to either continue to the deployment, or DE-escalate to more passive move (combat flow) But now you have a choice.

Mininijer thank you for posting, whether the others can swallow their pride like I did when I experienced this first hand??? well it takes a lot of moxie to eat your own words but, it is what it is and most out here are open minded.
Go here to read more options to deploy your weapon.

http://www.jmjkd.com/Articals.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom