• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legality and Practicality of Non-Resident transporting rifle to events in MA

I think I know the answer to this but as always with anything MA gun law related, I am confused and a little spooked. What is the legality of transporting a bolt action, non-large capacity, non-scary "Assault rifle" 22LR biathlon rifle and ammo to and from biathlon events in MA? I am a former MA resident who HAD an LTC but gave it up when I moved to NH recently. There are two clubs in the area that have regular biathlon events, one in the lakes region of NH and the other in Harvard, MA. I would like to continue to take part in the Harvard events, but I don't want to deal with any bs from MA cops for having a firearm in the Commonwealth. I've heard horror stories of NH residents getting in trouble for empty cartridge casings in their car!

The Mass.gov site says "Non-residents do not need a firearms license to transport their firearms in or through the Commonwealth, provided the firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case while traveling." If I lock my rifle and ammo in a case to and from the events, am I legal? Would police in Mass recognize that I am legal or would they hassle me anyway? Sorry if this is obvious to some of you but I very gun shy about being in Mass with guns without my LTC.

The is an exemption in MGL for NRs and low-capacity long guns (only) and ammo for same. Technically it doesn't have to be locked up, but most cops won't know that. Reccomend in locked case in trunk, no visible gun stuff in car and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom