Legality of temporarily storing guns and ammo (some in locked ammo boxes) in a car

Hey everyone,

As I get closer to my move, the logistics of my firearms are coming into play. The movers don't want to move the ammo or firearms (I wouldn't let them touch the firearms anyway). Most of my ammo is in locked ammo boxes, but some is just in the cardboard boxes and is being used to add some weight to my gun cabinet. So, my question is, during the move, let's say 4 hours or so is it legal to have the following in my trunk:
  1. Unloaded firearms in the trunk in range bags
  2. Ammo in locked boxes
  3. Loose ammo just in cardboard boxes like the store
  4. Magazines, some loaded, some unloaded
During this period, does it matter if I'm in the car or parked in my drive, etc?

I'm going to let them move the cabinet, they'll have room in the moving truck and I really don't feel like breaking it down.

Thanks!

Do you have an unrestricted LTC A? If so, as long as everything is in a locked trunk, I believe you are ok. There seems to be some debate about the need for a gun lock if the guns are in your trunk. Frankly, I don't believe they are required, but I do keep a lock on firearms in my trunk.

Do you have an unrestricted LTC A? If so, as long as everything is in a locked trunk, I believe you are ok. There seems to be some debate about the need for a gun lock if the guns are in your trunk. Frankly, I don't believe they are required, but I do keep a lock on firearms in my trunk.

My LTC is restricted to T&H

I think (but am not certain) that you will still be ok. Hopefully, someone who knows more than me about restricted licenses will lend you a hand! Good luck with your move.

Knowing that your moving I don't think the police would give you a hard time if the found out, but then again this is MA.If your only going to be 4 hours why don't you find a NES member that will stay with your guns for the few hours then just buy him,or her lunch.

I gave up all but my carry piece when I moved. The rest I stored at a buddies house until I got my safe put in place. Of course my move was overnight and we had to stay at a hotel so there was no way I was storing in my truck overnight. Otherwise I would have just put them in their locked cases and moved them myself. Had all my stuff back three days after we moved in.

I have locked cases for all my stuff. I don't put them in the car unless they are in a case because I don't want them bouncing around and getting dinged. Ammo I put in ammo cans if enough room otherwise I use a zippered gym bag. I never transport loaded mags. But if I did I would just put them in an ammo can ore my gym bag. The only loaded mags I keep are on my or in my carry piece.

I wouldn't be so worried about cops while I was storing in a car as much as I would worry about someone stealing the car or its contents...

A cop needs probable cause to search. a thief doesn't care about all that. lol

Just make sure you override that trunk lever and lock all access to the trunk from the back seat of the car.

...is it legal to have the following in my trunk:
  1. Unloaded firearms in the trunk in range bags
  2. Ammo in locked boxes
  3. Loose ammo just in cardboard boxes like the store
  4. Magazines, some loaded, some unloaded

...does it matter if I'm in the car or parked in my drive, etc?

A locked trunk is sufficient to satisfy both the transport (MGL 140-131C) and storage (MGL 140-131L) statutes.

There seems to be some debate about the need for a gun lock if the guns are in your trunk.

There is no debate. A locked trunk satisfies the statutes.

Last edited:
When you carry your guns from the house to your car, you are carrying them.
When you place them in the trunk and close the trunk they are stored in a locked container.
When you are driving the car, you are transporting them.
When you get out of the car, they are back in storage.

While it's perfectly legal to transport an unloaded, low capacity rifle or shotgun in the back seat of your car, once you get out of the car, they are in storage, but not locked. That's where the problems start.

Make sure all guns are unloaded
Make sure that all handguns (you seem to be using "firearm" interchangeably, while under MGLs they are not) are in a locked container
Make sure that all long guns are secured in the locked trunk, or with a cable or trigger lock for storage
Make sure the ammo is in containers.

Cover everything with a blanket, don't speed and don't run any traffic lights.

If traveling outside MA, FOPA might be required (not true for NH, ME or VT) for other states. The rules are different so read up and obey if that is the case.

If traveling inside MA, LTC restrictions are irrelevant and everything in a locked trunk (unloaded guns) meets the law for both transportation and storage. I like the idea of using the trunk lock-out inside the car.

If the car is broken into or stolen, regardless of you following the law, you can expect Brookline PD to revoke your LTC. Only LEOs get away with that, sadly, in MA (and most especially in crap cities/towns that ignore the Constitution like Brookline, Boston, Canton, etc.).

If car will be unoccupied I like the idea of a friend standing by and buy him/her dinner.

Back
Top Bottom