Lehigh 45 cal bullets for Muzzleloaders

DJBrad

NES Member
I picked up a pack of 50 Lehigh Xtreme defense 250 grain solid copper bullets to use in my CVA Optima 50 cal. Got some harvester 50 cal sabots to load them. After watching this vid I was quite impressed with the wound channel in ballistics gel. After using Powerbelts and finding lackluster groupings I’ll report back for 50 yard and 100 yard groups. I like the fact that I can try out different 45 cal bullets for this CVA.

You can shoot almost any .45 cal handgun bullet you want out of your MZ. You can pick up the sabots like the harvester crush rib sabots, and load almost any .45 cal HG bullet you like. IDK about accuracy and performance though. But you can do it.

You can shoot almost any .45 cal handgun bullet you want out of your MZ. You can pick up the sabots like the harvester crush rib sabots, and load almost any .45 cal HG bullet you like. IDK about accuracy and performance though. But you can do it.
I got the 50 cal crushed rib en route. The performance looks to be phenomenal with these Lehigh’s. The accuracy is what I’m interested in. Ballistic polymer tips appear to have the upper hand with accuracy though what is best for deer? A full pass through is ideal via the heart/lungs, right? I’ve seen ram and goat spine shots that were specifically made for immediate drops. I’d like that for a deer but not to damage back straps. What kind of waste is done to a quartering towards sternal shot passing through either left or right ribs with a 45 cal in a sabot?

Notice they did not include a accurwcy test just damage.
50 cal sabot with 45cal bullets is almost endless combination.
i use hornady black wads with 230 gn cast round nose with 100 gn worth of pellets. Under 3 moa at 100 yards is not hard with iron sights.

i also dable with hornady 185 gn hollow points

i need to get out and test the lee REAL bullet more.

I only hunted for a few years late teens to early 20s and I can say if you hit the vital zone with a 200+ gn 45 cal going 1600+ fps its going to do the job

Back
Top Bottom