• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator - Did you see this newish ammo yet?

It's not to be confused with the Lehigh Defense Maximum Expansion. It's a solid copper bullet with a unique design and I believe that it represents a significant advancement in bullet technology. Check it out.

incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two points, non-expanding, not interested - At those velocities it will not leave more than a .357 hole. Second, Barnes was making banded solids for a while, and I believe some of them ran afoul of ATF's definition of AP ammo.
So its an interesting idea, I think I would prefer a hot loaded jacketed wadcutter. Something that crushes tissue but isn't wholly reliant on expansion for woundeing potential.

I want something that penetrates about 4" then detonates so that the insides of the target is purred.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2
star-trek-make-it-so.jpg

Check out his follow up video on using the .45 250gr version in a muzzle loader. I've never seen a wound track in gel that comes close...

Skip to 1:40 to get on with it.

I tried a box of these. Neat X shaped holes in the paper. No feed issues in my PPK/S or LCP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tim from MAC made an excellent video with the new Lehigh Defense Xtreme Defender (slightly different design than the Xtreme Penetrator) loaded by Underwood in 9mm +P. It performs exceptionally well. It's a longish video but totally worth it IMO. I'm thinking that this may be my new 9mm carry ammo.

Tim from MAC made an excellent video with a new version of Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator, this time loaded by Underwood in 9mm +P. It performs exceptionally well. It's a longish video but totally worth it IMO. I'm thinking that this may be my new 9mm carry ammo.

Important to get this right. This new bullet isn't an updated Xtreme Penetrator. It's a different line called the Xtreme Defender. They have different purposes. One is optimized for deep penetration for something like animal defense. The new XD that MAC tested is for people defense. They're also releasing it in 10mm this month (can't wait!).

Also I picked up a box of the new 9mm +P XD round and tested in in Clear Ballistics gel. I got the same 17" he did. Definitely consistent stuff.

Important to get this right. This new bullet isn't an updated Xtreme Penetrator. It's a different line called the Xtreme Defender. They have different purposes. One is optimized for deep penetration for something like animal defense. The new XD that MAC tested is for people defense. They're also releasing it in 10mm this month (can't wait!).

Also I picked up a box of the new 9mm +P XD round and tested in in Clear Ballistics gel. I got the same 17" he did. Definitely consistent stuff.

Thanks for the correction. I will edit my post to avoid confusion.

Never tried them. Don't imagine they do much more to cardboard than a SWC does.
Here's another newer entrant that is also lead-free...
http://www.velocitytactics.com/

As for exploding ammo...
https://www.full30.com/video/82efb579fd3c93d177205966ef3d3c9d

Lol no. At over $1.50/round, they aren't intended to be shot at cardboard at all. They aren't lead free to qualify to be shot at dumb lead free ranges. They're made of copper because it's harder and won't deform like lead.

Here is a 380 test. Interesting stuff for sure. I'm still waiting for more testing. Nice to see people trying new ideas. Expanding bullets definitely have some drawbacks.

http://youtu.be/LczfeWK9lHw

Thank you for posting that. I will have to try a box as I carry a .380 but with the over penetrating Winchester rounds. If I have no feed problems with my PPK/S then I think I will load these for carry instead.

Just a thought that popped in my head...Increased chance of more powerful ricochet with this?

Last edited:
Thank you for posting that. I will have to try a box as I carry a .380 but with the over penetrating Winchester rounds. If I have no feed problems with my PPK/S then I think I will load these for carry instead.

Just a thought that popped in my head...Increased chance of more powerful ricochet with this?
They also have an updated bullet. It is supposed to limit over penetration. This is a test of the stuff loaded by underwood. 9mm not 380. Still something I'm keeping an eye on. These are called the extreme defender vs extreme penetrator.

https://youtu.be/ClJcJ8LQFbQ

Back
Top Bottom