• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEO carry Compacts?

Some really large departments offer choices. Mine does not. We carry a m&p 45c, but its more like a mid size, and still 10 rds.

I think most are getting mids for the uniform division and compacts for most plain clothes.

mine does, and i know other departments that do to. I see mostly brass with 27s and plain clothed with 23s and we carry 22s in uniform

Ashburnham PD issues both duty and off duty to all ofofficers last departments including mine issues a duty gun and make it very easy to order a off duty weapon

Glock 23 here as well. We are lucky to have a choice in caliber and make/model. Most are glock 22s or 23s. Even a few 19s and 17s. Some guys are now starting to follow the MSP and go to M&P 45. We qualify with our duty weapon and a second weapon of our choice as long as it meets dept standards, ie 26 or 27 for road jobs, ect..

Explain this.

For uniformed officers, I see no advantage of a Glock 23 over a Glock 22. Both have the same grip circumference, so the 23 doesn't fit a smaller hand any better than the Glock 22. The Glock 22 has a larger sight radius and the longer grip gives it a larger magazine capacity.

For detectives, concealment really isn't a big issue. They typically aren't undercover. So the chief advantage of a Glock 27 over a 23 really isn't important. And in exchange, they get a shorter sight radius and grip that make it harder to shoot accurately.

IMO, the BPD would be better served issuing Glock 22 to uniformed officers and Glock 23s to detectives, rather than 23s and 27s.

Glock 23 here as well. We are lucky to have a choice in caliber and make/model. Most are glock 22s or 23s. Even a few 19s and 17s. Some guys are now starting to follow the MSP and go to M&P 45. We qualify with our duty weapon and a second weapon of our choice as long as it meets dept standards, ie 26 or 27 for road jobs, ect..
It would be really awesome if we could do this. By policy, we are only authorized to carry our issued duty weapon, the P2000, even off duty. No off duty or backup weapons are authorized. This is a mild irritation in the middle of summer when it's 120 degrees and you'd like to carry a little j-frame or something. It's a complete pain in the a** when you're carrying on a commercial flight and have to make sure it stays concealed.

Right now, BPD issues G22/G23/G27, which gives flexibility in guns of various sizes, from full size to sub-compact, to fit people ranging from 6"6" males to 4" 11" females and everyone in between. And for various duties, ranging from uniformed patrol to undercover work. It's worked perfectly in the real world since the transition to .40 S&W in 1998. Hopefully, this policy continues into the gen4 models.

Right now, BPD issues G22/G23/G27, which gives flexibility in guns of various sizes, from full size to sub-compact, to fit people ranging from 6"6" males to 4" 11" females and everyone in between. And for various duties, ranging from uniformed patrol to undercover work. It's worked perfectly in the real world since the transition to .40 S&W in 1998. Hopefully, this policy continues into the gen4 models.

My place issues patrol officers M&P FUll size and Detectives and admin types the compact for the same reasons as above.

It is my understanding, based on discussions with a veteran BPD officer two weeks ago, that BPD does not issue the 22, only the 23 and 27.

I have a Boston Police officer, standing next to me, who has his issued G22 in his Dept issued holster. G22s have been purchased for the last 5 years or so, to supplement the G23s and g27s. I wish we'd only issue the G23/G27 and that seems to be popular sentiment around here.

I have a Boston Police officer, standing next to me, who has his issued G22 in his Dept issued holster. G22s have been purchased for the last 5 years or so, to supplement the G23s and g27s. I wish we'd only issue the G23/G27 and that seems to be popular sentiment around here.

Interesting. I wonder why a BPD sergeant told me that they don't issue G22s?

Why do you wish that they wouldn't issue G22s?

USCG switched to the Sig P229R-DAK a few years back. Enormous improvement over the M-9. A lot of guys feel they shot better with the full sized 9MM - I personally shoot MUCH better with the P229. Just short enough that the holstered weapon doesn't screw with your back sitting in a bouncing boat for hours on end. (This is the reason I finally relented and went to a drop holster - they strike me as a bit over-the-top, but man are they more comfortable getting bounced around in a small seat or moving around in cramped areas. Nothing on the side of your hip to force you to sit funny or forego armrests.)

A G23 (or the G19) is the perfect issue gun, small enough for plainclothes and big enough for duty. Most people don't have large hands that require a G22 full size. Options should include the G22 (for large handed individuals) and G27 ( for plainclothes and detectives).
G22s are too large for off duty carry, and before you say "It can be concealed with the right holster", BPD requires the issue gun to be in a Safariland 6378 ALS, either issued, or privately purchased by the officer. The G23 is a lot better (and the G27 even more so) to carry concealed that way.
I also find the G23 much easier to shoot than the G22-the G22's longer barrel seems a bit "whippy" to me. The G23 seems to recoil back without "whipping upward", coming back on target faster. The same dynamic seems to be evident on the G19/G17 series as well.

IMHO I prefer a full size (G22) for duty use. Off duty I prefer the slightly smaller G23. The slight difference is just enough to conceal a little better. I can't believe that some departments don't allow officers to have a back up or off duty guns. My department only issues duty but the chief lets us order what we want at LEO discount and we qualify with what ever we buy.

According to the 2013 Glock Annual, Seaside Heights, NJ, patrol officers carry the Glock 27, and their detectives carry the Glock 23.
that is ass backwards, are they trying to save weight or lower hit % for patrol officers?

IMHO I prefer a full size (G22) for duty use. Off duty I prefer the slightly smaller G23. The slight difference is just enough to conceal a little better. I can't believe that some departments don't allow officers to have a back up or off duty guns. My department only issues duty but the chief lets us order what we want at LEO discount and we qualify with what ever we buy.

Just a point of clarification to my previous statement...by policy our rifle is considered to be our primary weapon. The pistol on our duty belt is therefore considered to actually be our backup gun. That's how the agency justifies not allowing us to carry a true BUG.

A G23 (or the G19) is the perfect issue gun, small enough for plainclothes and big enough for duty. Most people don't have large hands that require a G22 full size. Options should include the G22 (for large handed individuals) and G27 ( for plainclothes and detectives).
G22s are too large for off duty carry, and before you say "It can be concealed with the right holster", BPD requires the issue gun to be in a Safariland 6378 ALS, either issued, or privately purchased by the officer. The G23 is a lot better (and the G27 even more so) to carry concealed that way.
I also find the G23 much easier to shoot than the G22-the G22's longer barrel seems a bit "whippy" to me. The G23 seems to recoil back without "whipping upward", coming back on target faster. The same dynamic seems to be evident on the G19/G17 series as well.

I have the choice between that holster and the Blackhawk (which is what I have). I think the CQC can conceal alot better than any Safariland.

Back
Top Bottom