LEO gun nuts...

There just doesn't seem to be enough of them.

There's Jaxon, Jon...I have a buddy that used to be NAPD, but just went to MSP, and another buddy over on Whitman...but he's not really a nut, just loves guns.

Other than that, you just don't hear of a lot of cops that are really into guns.

I wonder why that is...being that you have to carry one every fricking day.

C-pher said:
I wonder why that is...being that you have to carry one every fricking day.
Yup, that's why. And believe it or not, some are just regular guys with other interests that could give a sh*t about guns/hunting. Just like where you work.

JonJ said:
And believe it or not, some are just regular guys with other interests that could give a sh*t about guns/hunting. Just like where you work.

In words of Ron Burgandy from the movie Anchorman "I don't believe you!" [smile]

JonJ said:
Yup, that's why. And believe it or not, some are just regular guys with other interests that could give a sh*t about guns/hunting. Just like where you work.

Yea, I understand that...but all of us on this group like computers. And we work with them every day. But we go home and dick around with them, build them for buddies, etc..

I do understand that it's a very small part of the LEOs job. So it's not a slam.

I'm just saying that for as many LEOs that there are out there, that more don't have a strong interest for weaponry.

C-pher said:
I'm just saying that for as many LEOs that there are out there, that more don't have a strong interest for weaponry.

You'd be surprised how many Marines didn't have any personal weapons off of base.

C-pher said:
Yea, I understand that...but all of us on this group like computers. And we work with them every day. But we go home and dick around with them, build them for buddies, etc..

Take that back! I HATE computers! I only do this for a living because I'm good at it. My home computer is 4.5 years old, and I can't even tell you when the last time I actually turned it on was. I have my work laptop that sits on my desk at home, that is always on. If it wasn't on though, I don't think I would even bother to boot it up, unless I had to do work from home.

Adam

To me, its the culture here bouts. Back in O-HI-O, we went shooting as much as we could, hunted in all of the seasons and generall were gun oriented.

I just don't see that around here, which I find very strange. Its a tool, sure, but a extremely important one. Most of these guys don't fire the damn thing except for quals. Sad.

RJ

Do you think it's an Eastern vs western part of the state. Our town Leo's some hunt, most are ex mil. but they don't advertise that they are gun nuts unless you get to know them and talk with them. Like when we renew our licenses, or son needed fingerprints for his clearance before he deployed.

LenS said:
That is a scary thought! [smile]
I'm pulling for him becoming a Statie, just because I think the jack boots are sexy [laugh] But if you work with guns, shouldn't you like guns?

I mean, I work with animals. How stupid would it be if I didn't like them, or have any? Very.

SiameseRat said:
I'm pulling for him becoming a Statie, just because I think the jack boots are sexy [laugh] <SNIP>

And what is it with the Road Nazi's that everyone seems to like so well? I have to admit, I haven't found anything extraordinary about them.

RJ

MSP (as a generalization) look very spiffy in spit-shined uniforms, especially when compared to local PDs that (from my experience) don't pay much heed to how their troops look or how they conform to the dress code.

When I worked for the PD, it was common to see the officers with the top blouse button undone and clip-on tie hanging off to one side (Winter uniform) at 0015 hrs, 15 minutes after the start of the shift! One time we responded to the Chief's house for a silent alarm ~0030 hrs and I thought that the officer I was working with would get shit for the sloppy attire when he came to the door. If it happened it did so in his office when I wasn't there (just as well).

So for "sharp dressing" MSP have it all over most regular PDs in MA. They are/were run as a true para-military operation.

But it is damn lonely and dangerous out there stopping cars when you're closest backup is 30 minutes away. [Back in the 1970s I talked a friend out of the MSP Academy! He was a security supervisor at DEC and like me he was a Special/Reserve PO in a local town. When he dropped out of the Academy, MSP sent a senior ranking Trooper to his house to try to talk him into returning.] In Eastern MA, the MSP and local PDs don't usually "play well together".

I don't know Pat all that well, but from the times we've met and talked, it just seems that he is too low-key and non-aggressive for me to ever picture him as a Statie!

They don't usually play well together here also. They cover for when we (read small town) don't have full time coverage, and by the time they do show up your pretty much sol anyways.

We've always had a good relationship with the SP's. Usually around if we need them and we always help them. Even better now that the airwing is based here.

centermass181 said:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, cant you mods kiss his arse in the damn MOD forum?

I'm sorry, but you seem to have confused the Corps with some other branch of the military, perhaps an understandable error in light of your european spelling. We don't kiss arse, we kick ass. I'm busy taking names at the moment. [wink]

Ken

Jaxon said:
And what is it with the Road Nazi's that everyone seems to like so well? I have to admit, I haven't found anything extraordinary about them.

RJ
Never said anything about staties themselves, I just like the boots. [wink]

LenS said:
I don't know Pat all that well, but from the times we've met and talked, it just seems that he is too low-key and non-aggressive for me to ever picture him as a Statie!

Len, I have to sort of agree. He is very calm and low key. But when that man has a gun in his hands he's an animal. It honestly changes everything about his demeanor. I have to admit that I find him most attractive when we're at the range [wink]

But I'm honestly just joshing about the statie thing. I like the boots and that's it. I think he's more of a local PD guy. Plus he's looking more for community outreach than car chases and ticket writing.

firearm interest

I guess I'm not a fan of the phrase, "gun nut." I prefer gun or firearm enthusiast. Gun nut portrays an image of some "crazy" with all kinds of guns around the house getting ready for the "big one." We have enough problems with the liberals in the NE, don't need to reinforce their perceptions, IMHO.

As to why more police officers are not interested in firearms, shooting sports or firearms training, it's simple. A firearm to most LEOs is just a tool. No different than radar, patrol car, camera, finger print powder, etc. Most consider it just part of the job. Whatever the department gives them for firearm training is fine with them. Most won't shoot their duty weapons outside of department training or seek personal training. Police officers are just like any other Joe and they all have different interests. Some are hunters and fisherman, some like to ride snowmobiles, quads, or travel. Different strokes for different folks...........

I often here the statement, "If I was a police officer, I'd shoot / train all the time." Well this statement usually comes from someone who is already a "gun enthusiast." Most who come on the job (police work) don't have a primary interest in firearms.

My opinion is based on working as a LEO and firearms instr. for the last 12 years. I have been involved in the shooting sports for over 20 years and have always had an interest in firearms, training, and competetive shooting. I do agree that police officers should pursue outside firearms training if their department does not provide proper training, but most will not. That is the reality of it.

Hope this sheds some light on the issue. Oh, on the problems between SP and local police, I think it is pretty over-rated. I work with the SP all the time and we generally get along fine. Sure there are personality clashes, but we are on the same team with the same job to do.
Take care,
Nick-

I can understand why they can see it as a tool, but they should realize that this tool is very dangerous, that once that trigger is pulled there is no bringing that round back for 'do over' because they missed.

I would love to oversee the PD's overall and though it will be hated I'd make the requirments a bit tougher and if its true that some PO's shoot the qual course til they qual then they will get 2 chances (everyone can have an off day as well as the fact that the first few times to many will fail it.)

Since general range time is needed, try and get the local Gun Clubs to join in and make the training less formal and more like a 'day at the range' for them. As for training ammo, write to some of the ammo manufacturers and state that due to budget cuts training is the first to sometimes be cut and see if the state can get a real bulk deal on training ammo.

I have the utmost respect for that they do wear the uniform but not training to be truly profient in a tool is something I can NOT respect. I mean everyone is out there and if a PO has to draw their weapon and fire, I would prefer the odds are that the bad guy gets hit and not me or an innocent bystander.

"LEO gun nuts... There just doesn't seem to be enough of them."

As a LEO, it has always intrigued me that most officers aren't interested in the shooting sports. But I suppose it does fit the old adage "the pipes at a plumber's home always leak".

Anyway, add me to the rather short list of LEO enthusiasts.

Cheers,
Mike

http://www.theblitz.org/index.php

Back
Top Bottom