• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEO Question ????

Just for the record, I always start reaching for my wallet before the car comes to a complete stop so that I have everything in hand by the time the cop gets to the window. You know what he wants to see, just have it ready and there should be no problem.

Yup. Leave the glove box open (had to get my registration anyway), keys on the dash, interior light on (day or night). License/reg in-hand. Makes transfers that much easier and there's no "extra movement", like apd193 mentions, and REALLY notices.

Just for the record, I always start reaching for my wallet before the car comes to a complete stop so that I have everything in hand by the time the cop gets to the window. You know what he wants to see, just have it ready and there should be no problem.
While most cops certainly appreciate it, you do leave yourself less vulnerable to any assertions of furative movement or a seatbelt violation if you wait. Plus, keep in mind you might not necessarily be stopped for the reason you first think--if your car was the same description as one that just left the scene of an armed assult, any movement prior to approach may not have the best consequences for you.

Personally, I don't care either way, but if the vast majority of cops are really hard-headed, jack booted thugs as I hear commonly alleged around these parts, seems to me you'd want to be on irrefutable ground that the officer's foundation for acting was 100% improper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom