LEOSA and Campus Police

Taken straight from LEOSA-----As used in this section, the term "qualified law enforcement officer" means an employee of a governmental agency who--

Just curious, My understanding of this seems that only Campus Police employed by public institutions such as for example UMASS or Bridgewater State University would qualify under this because they are governmental. Correct me if I'm wrong but a private Campus employing police officers would not qualify because it is not a "Governmental agency". Any input?

I believe there has been case law about a 'Special Officer' in another state who got his arrest powers from a governmental agency, but worked for a private entity, and he was cleared. I'll have to dig for it.

Taken straight from LEOSA-----As used in this section, the term "qualified law enforcement officer" means an employee of a governmental agency who--

Just curious, My understanding of this seems that only Campus Police employed by public institutions such as for example UMASS or Bridgewater State University would qualify under this because they are governmental. Correct me if I'm wrong but a private Campus employing police officers would not qualify because it is not a "Governmental agency". Any input?

You are correct, LEOSA does not cover private college campus police.

While some PD may let it slide if you get caught somewhere else, the way the Fed Law is written, it excludes campus police unless they work for a gov't agency (e.g. UMass).

Aren't most campus police either Special State Police Officers or Deputized by the local Sheriff's Dept.? Would that cover them Len?

No, because they are not employed by a govt agency - they just get their authority from one.

There was a similar issue when the RR police found out that despite their "sworn officer status", they did not qualify for post 94 > 10 round mags during the 1994-2004 ban because they were not employed by a govt entity or guarding nuclear facilities.

Len. That case law I posted was of a constable that was considered an independent contractor by judge, not a direct employee of gov agency, and was found not guilty. Thoughts?

Len. That case law I posted was of a constable that was considered an independent contractor by judge, not a direct employee of gov agency, and was found not guilty. Thoughts?

Yes, I'm familiar with that case.

PA Constables are very different from Constables up here. They are issued a vehicle and although I do not know how they are paid, they operate as government officials in a much more official legal capacity than we do up here.

He had an active arrest warrant that he was trying to serve and thus was actually "on duty" in NY. They did accept that he was covered under LEOSA, but IMNSHO I think LEOSA is a bit more generous when any LEO is operating "on duty". A very good friend was a ranking officer at an ivy league college and traveled (armed) with the football team to work the away games. He certainly didn't have any gun permits from the states that he traveled to but in whatever way (even before LEOSA became law) was allowed to work and act as armed security for his players. Now that he's retired, he has no such special privileges of LEOSA.

Why would you even need leosa if you're working?

Pretty much because cops are @holes. I was told that one of the reasons unions lobbied so hard for this bill was because cops kept locking each other up and it was creating animosity.

Philly cops would lock up jersey cops for carrying in the city frequently enough that if a Philly cop got stopped in Jersey, he would just eat the ticket and not try to tin his way out of it. This was told to me by a couple of retired philly cops I knew.

Pretty much because cops are @holes. I was told that one of the reasons unions lobbied so hard for this bill was because cops kept locking each other up and it was creating animosity.

Philly cops would lock up jersey cops for carrying in the city frequently enough that if a Philly cop got stopped in Jersey, he would just eat the ticket and not try to tin his way out of it. This was told to me by a couple of retired philly cops I knew.

I've always said that EVERY PD has at least one a-hole on the force who would lock up his mother for jaywalking!! When I say that in the presence of other officers, I always get a nod of acknowledgment and the frequent comment is "we have more than one"!

Ah HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!
Sometimes the irrefutable facts regarding law enforcement over here overwhelm me![rofl]

Campus cops can carry high cap mags a buddy of mine is a campus cop. I don't know about Leosa though.

Back
Top Bottom