• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEOSA in NH

I'm a bit confused, after talking to a friend about CCW in NH, he claims I cannot carry under LEOSA there due to the current laws on non-res concealed carry.

My question is, Can I conceal carry under LEOSA in NH? I'm aware that LEOSA doesn't necessarily supersede state laws such as not carrying in a certain places and that you still have to abide by local ordinances, however, I'm also aware of the NH policy on CCW and that you need a permit, does this mean No CCW under LEOSA in NH? If so it seems theres no point to LEOSA.....

I'm a bit confused, after talking to a friend about CCW in NH, he claims I cannot carry under LEOSA there due to the current laws on non-res concealed carry.

My question is, Can I conceal carry under LEOSA in NH? I'm aware that LEOSA doesn't necessarily supersede state laws such as not carrying in a certain places and that you still have to abide by local ordinances, however, I'm also aware of the NH policy on CCW and that you need a permit, does this mean No CCW under LEOSA in NH? If so it seems theres no point to LEOSA.....

Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about.

Are you qualified to carry under LEOSA?

If yes, then yes, you can carry under LEOSA in NH.

If no, then you can't carry under LEOSA anywhere.

I agree. The argument basically stemmed over carrying in a vehicle, but that doesnt even matter if your carrying lawfully under leosa, it would be the same as if you haf a NH permitt.

+1

If you are covered, you can carry in all 50 states regardless of state laws. The entire point of LEOSA is to remove the obstacle of BS nanny state laws.

I just wish they would apply the same logic to everyone not just cops

If you qualify, the two following sections apply:

Active LEOs: 18 USC 926B
Retired LEOs: 18 USC 936C

For retired folks, carrying under 936C, the following sections support what you are saying:

"(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that—
(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or
(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park."

I am not aware that one is subject to local ordinances/ by-laws regarding possession or carry when otherwise lawfully carrying under LEOSA. Any case law to support to idea that ordinances need to be followed?

Last edited:

Are you a LEO?

I just move here from PA. and would like to qualify
under LEOSA (retired) can any local department conduct the course and provide documentation?
Thanks for your time.

I just move here from PA. and would like to qualify
under LEOSA (retired) can any local department conduct the course and provide documentation?
Thanks for your time.
I'm still in dual-resident mode from MA and NH. Over the past two years, I've been unsuccessful in determining what the course of fire/other potential requirements are in NH. Thankfully, I've been qualifying in MA. I am a MA certified LEOSA instructor and again haven't figured out whether or not I can get certified to qualify NH resident retirees. NH SP referred me to their POST in Concord. An Email to one of their firearms instructors was never responded to. My NH town regulations only allow them to qualify their own retirees.

But welcome to NH!

I'm still in dual-resident mode from MA and NH. Over the past two years, I've been unsuccessful in determining what the course of fire/other potential requirements are in NH. Thankfully, I've been qualifying in MA. I am a MA certified LEOSA instructor and again haven't figured out whether or not I can get certified to qualify NH resident retirees. NH SP referred me to their POST in Concord. An Email to one of their firearms instructors was never responded to. My NH town regulations only allow them to qualify their own retirees.

But welcome to NH!
In NH from what I was told you have to be a current sworn NH LEO to conduct the quals. The standard course is 36 rounds, shot twice in a ow, per firearm. There is no procedure for "substantially similar". I believe passing was 31 rounds. We use a standard Q style target. There is also the in service portion. There is a NH form for the qual.

At one time Concord maintained the documents but that changed a few years back. Now the issuing party maintains and issues the qual document.

In NH from what I was told you have to be a current sworn NH LEO to conduct the quals. The standard course is 36 rounds, shot twice in a ow, per firearm. There is no procedure for "substantially similar". I believe passing was 31 rounds. We use a standard Q style target. There is also the in service portion. There is a NH form for the qual.

At one time Concord maintained the documents but that changed a few years back. Now the issuing party maintains and issues the qual document.
Thank you. Qualifying on each gun (vs. type of gun) is a PITA. MA does not care which gun you use for qual nor the type of handgun. So it is "once and done".

Have to admit, living in the northeast, it would be nice to be "legal" to carry in places like NY and NJ. I'd probably want those creds if I were a retired LEO, even if living in NH.

A couple of years ago a retired LEO in our gun club asked me to look it to this for him. He said he knew of someone who was advertising themselves as a NH LEOSA-certified instructor. I started the legwork, and ended up at the NH Police Standards & Training Council, the governing body for LEO Training in NH, including LEOSA in NH. I actually spoke with the Director of Training (who answered his own phone. God, I love this state.) I’ll have to see if I can find my notes for the exact details, but he confirmed there were no LEOSA-certified instructors in the state, because they (PSTC) would certify them, and they have no curriculum to do that. He was aware of, and a bit annoyed with, the person advertising himself as such. He said a person would have to approach the law enforcement agency in their respective town, have that agency agree to “sponsor” them (not the right word, but I’ll be damned if I can remember the right one), and shoot their qualification annually. He mentioned if the local PD was hesitant, you could try the Sheriff. Their LEOSA Creds would then come from that agency vice the State.

This information is about two years old and things might have changed, so I recommend giving them a call directly. Phone numbers are on the website. I’m not sure what I expected when I called, but I got a very pleasant, knowledgeable individual who couldn’t have been more helpful.

Thanks Scott.

That info definitely deserves a follow-up as that would imply that every retiree had to go thru POST, not their former NH PD.

For the uninformed: You don't need LEOSA in NH, but you certainly do in places like MA, NY, NJ, etc. So if you stay strictly in the state, no need. If you drive over any of those borders, you better have LEOSA. And even with LEOSA, I would not feel comfortable carrying in NY or NJ, as their approach is arrest, prosecute and let your lawyer bring up the Affirmative Defense that LEOSA means that you shouldn't be convicted (after you spend $10-20K to defend yourself).

Thanks Scott.

That info definitely deserves a follow-up as that would imply that every retiree had to go thru POST, not their former NH PD.

For the uninformed: You don't need LEOSA in NH, but you certainly do in places like MA, NY, NJ, etc. So if you stay strictly in the state, no need. If you drive over any of those borders, you better have LEOSA. And even with LEOSA, I would not feel comfortable carrying in NY or NJ, as their approach is arrest, prosecute and let your lawyer bring up the Affirmative Defense that LEOSA means that you shouldn't be convicted (after you spend $10-20K to defend yourself).
I read it the opposite, but I’m no expert. I thought the implication was you had to go through your former (or current) local NH PD, and that there was no “State” issue option, but you said best: it needs follow-up.

The law isn't complicated. People tend to what-if it to death.

A Qualified Retired or Separated Law Enforcement Officer is one who: "during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the former agency of the individual, the State in which the individual resides or, if the State has not established such standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State"

But welcome to NH!
Thanks for the reply and glad to be here in NH.

A Qualified Retired or Separated Law Enforcement Officer is one who: "during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the former agency of the individual, the State in which the individual resides or, if the State has not established such standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State"

This reads almost exactly like the response I got from the PSTC.

But welcome to NH!
I called the NHSP, the person on the phone stated, she will send a email off to the Range folks. Still no answer, Called Manchester, Nashua and a couple of other departments with no luck. My local chief stated, No, it's a pain and It takes to much with the guys I have now. Manchester firing line states they LEOSA trained, but only if your are a FED! I don't get it. Love the state, whole lot better then PA.

I called the NHSP, the person on the phone stated, she will send a email off to the Range folks. Still no answer, Called Manchester, Nashua and a couple of other departments with no luck. My local chief stated, No, it's a pain and It takes to much with the guys I have now. Manchester firing line states they LEOSA trained, but only if your are a FED! I don't get it. Love the state, whole lot better then PA.
County Sheriff's office, maybe? I don't know how that works in NH, so disregard if that's a stupid suggestion. Being in MA we get a wonky view of what the Sheriffs really do.

Call.Sig Academy, at one time there was someone there that used to do quals for people.

People sure do overcomplicate it.

I’ve seen people qualify with multiple different kinds of handguns when types of firearms are clearly defined in 18 USC 921. A handgun is a handgun is a handgun. The GCA doesn’t have pistol/revolver or any of that nonsense.

there are about 10 types of firearms defined in the GCA. 6 of those are authorized for LEOSA.

NH admin standards, any council certified instructor can qualify you. Here are the NH council standards. if you qualify with any handgun, then you can carry any federally defined handgun.

now the fun really begins when you want to qualify with 1 of the 5 other types of GCA defined firearms 😎

Is there any update on this? I'm looking to move to NH but this is a potential issue. I need to be able to travel back to NY to visit family and NY won't issue nonresident pistol permits.

Is there any update on this? I'm looking to move to NH but this is a potential issue. I need to be able to travel back to NY to visit family and NY won't issue nonresident pistol permits.
Are you a retired LEO as defined in LEOSA? Do you have an ID from your agency that identifies you as a retired LEO?

If you answer both to yes, then all you need to do is qualify annually in your state of residence, to the statewide standard required for active LEOs. That's a ridiculously easy standard in NH (you just have to find an instructor to do it, or make some friends; my local PD has told me I can qualify with them for free if I provide my own ammo.)

You also have the option of qualifying with your previous agency, if they'll let you.

What state did you serve in? If it was MA, I can qualify you. NH is a PITA to qualify LEOSA annually.

I am a qualified LEO from NY and will have a retired ID when I retire this year. My agency won't provide qualifications for retirees. I spoke to a local instructor in NY that does retiree qualifications. He said that the qualifications have to be done either by your agency or an someone authorized in your home state. If you move out of NY and your agency won't do it then it needs to be done in your new home state. I have read that NH agencies will only qualify their own retirees and the state hasn't issued private instructors authorization to qualify anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom