• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEOSA in NH

I am a qualified LEO from NY and will have a retired ID when I retire this year. My agency won't provide qualifications for retirees. I spoke to a local instructor in NY that does retiree qualifications. He said that the qualifications have to be done either by your agency or an someone authorized in your home state. If you move out of NY and your agency won't do it then it needs to be done in your new home state. I have read that NH agencies will only qualify their own retirees and the state hasn't issued private instructors authorization to qualify anyone else.
NH requires that you qualify with an ACTIVE LEO only. Once the LEO retires, s/he is no longer qualified to qualify others for LEOSA. It's rare to find a NH LEO who is both qualified to do this and willing to qualify folks that weren't with his agency. MA certifies some instructors to qualify any retiree who lives in MA or retired from a MA agency. I am one of those who holds that MSP qualification. I go back to MA each year to get my own qualification done.

I am a qualified LEO from NY and will have a retired ID when I retire this year. My agency won't provide qualifications for retirees. I spoke to a local instructor in NY that does retiree qualifications. He said that the qualifications have to be done either by your agency or a someone authorized in your home state. If you move out of NY and your agency won't do it then it needs to be done in your new home state. I have read that NH agencies will only qualify their own retirees and the state hasn't issued private instructors authorization to qualify anyone else.
If you currently have a residence in New York, you can apply for a Pistol License AND you can keep it under state law if you move out of the state. Plenty of people all over the country have a NY pistol license. You would just have to recertify.

The NYSP have instructions on their website on how to recertify if you no longer have a NY DL or NY ID card.

State law only requires that you notify the state police when you move. You don’t even have to let the Pistol Clerk/Judge know.

I wasn’t aware you did LEOSA quals. I need to get with you on that. I worked for the feds and they don’t issue retired ID cards. I’m wondering if you have any suggestions with that?
Unfortunately the first requirement is that the retiree have a retired ID card.

I wasn’t aware you did LEOSA quals. I need to get with you on that. I worked for the feds and they don’t issue retired ID cards. I’m wondering if you have any suggestions with that?
Hmm. I'm retired fed LE, and I have credentials stamped "Retired Law Enforcement Officer".

And that's from an agency that fought like hell against acknowledging LEOSA, until AG Ashcroft told them in no uncertain terms that we qualified.

Hmm. I'm retired fed LE, and I have credentials stamped "Retired Law Enforcement Officer".

And that's from an agency that fought like hell against acknowledging LEOSA, until AG Ashcroft told them in no uncertain terms that we qualified.
It’s amazing how the bureaurats fight this sort of thing even though they themselves will one day be retired under it.

Back
Top Bottom