Leyden, MA 10/15-16 AR-Seed round two.

It's on the calendar, and tickets are available.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/leyden-ma-appleseed-october-15-16-2016-tickets-22045775508
Stuff we plan to cover:
Trajectory - comeups, battle-sight-zero, when to hold over vs dial, and the impact of sight offset. Verified practical trajectory at ranges from 3 yards to 200 yards.
Sighting options - discuss and demonstrate both the advantages of magnification and fancy reticles for precision shooting, and the ability of iron sights to hit an 8" piece of steel at 250 yards.
Target detection & range estimation - Including practical exercise, count, identify, and range ~20" targets at various ranges from ~25 to ~200 yards.
Supported positions - using what you find to get a little extra stability.
Pushing the limits - post QDAQTs at 100 yards (simulating 400, 800, 1200, and 1600 yards). Engage from supported prone, with ~40 minute time limit.
Care & feeding of the AR pattern rifle - demo & explain the effects of various types and qualities of ammo, and various design choices and the associate mechanical issues, e.g. moving zero caused by sling pressure on the barrel.

The Q&A thread from the last one is here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/285399-Leyden-MA-8-22-23-Experimental-AR-seed
And the AAR is here:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=46418.0

In.

Oh, wait, this is not the Karma thread. Can't wait, sad I missed last year.

In +2 or 3. We are likely going to stay at least Saturday night. Is there free/cheap camping nearby? We may hit the nearest flea bag motel, but I was thinking camping would be more authentic. Psyched for this one!

Read the q&a in the OP, and the after action report. I think it says 400 rounds, and they do allow optics. They go over advantages and disadvantages of both. Round count may have changed, but haven't had a chance to read the aar yet.

Last edited:
In +2 or 3. We are likely going to stay at least Saturday night. Is there free/cheap camping nearby? We may hit the nearest flea bag motel, but I was thinking camping would be more authentic. Psyched for this one!

I usually camp right on the range - there's a concrete pad and shelter next to the parking area, a servicable firepit, and a port-a-potty.

Are optics allowed? How much ammo for the weekend?

Optics are allowed, and we'll talk a bit about (and you'll see firsthand) some of the advantages and disadvantages of whatever optics you bring.

Expect around 400 rounds through the weekend. We may bump that up a little if Leyden manages to extend their range, but the focus here is not on AQTs AQTs AQTs, but on the things you need to know to make use of that marksmanship at a variety of distances and from more improvised positions.

Bring a scoped .22 as well. The freaking simulated 1600m stuff (the regular AQT posted at 100m) was an eye opener for me.

hey matt, thinking about coming out for this. how much is the club working on extending the range by? can we still shoot after sundown? :)

I usually camp right on the range - there's a concrete pad and shelter next to the parking area, a servicable firepit, and a port-a-potty.

Optics are allowed, and we'll talk a bit about (and you'll see firsthand) some of the advantages and disadvantages of whatever optics you bring.

As this is drawing closer (and I believe the last of our group has purchased his ticket), I thought I would bump the thread and ask a quick question.

We are planning on camping on Friday and Saturday evening. Do we have permission from Leyden to do so? If so, is there anything we need to know? Will anyone else be there Friday night?

Thanks!

Don't shoot the Porta Potty. If you want food, Greenfield and Bernardston (exits 26, 27, and 28 off of I-91) are your best bets, closely followed by Shelburne Falls (go due south until you hit Rte 2). Don't expect much cell phone reception - just enough for text, probably not enough for 3G.

Drop me a line, and I will send you the email of the president of the Leyden Rifle Club so that you can make it official.

Don't shoot the Porta Potty. If you want food, Greenfield and Bernardston (exits 26, 27, and 28 off of I-91) are your best bets, closely followed by Shelburne Falls (go due south until you hit Rte 2). Don't expect much cell phone reception - just enough for text, probably not enough for 3G. Drop me a line, and I will send you the email of the president of the Leyden Rifle Club so that you can make it official.
Thanks!
PM inbound.

It was very good. An awesome crew, great participants, and a jewel of a range. Best time I had in a while. And those cookies werd something else...

Best wishes to your sister!

Last edited:
Great time.
Most fun I have ever had shooting my AR15.
Thanks for all the hard work putting this together guys.

From the minute I heard about the first AR-Seed, I knew I wanted to attend this one. We assembled a crew to attend the April shoot at HSC in order to ensure we had our patches in order.

We arrived at Leyden around 11 PM on Friday night. In the sub freezing temps we set up camp and hit the sack to the sound of Coyotes howling in the distance.

After a cold nights sleep we awoke to frost on our sleeping bags, but a pot of coffee and a stoking of the fire warmed us up rather quickly.

As the shooters and instructors arrived, I could tell this was going to be a great weekend. Everyone was on the same page rather quickly, and we were able to efficiently cover a topic and move on. Everyone either had their gear dialed in, or was familiar enough with it to handle things on their own without holding up the line.

We could not have asked for better weather. The view of the backstop (mountain) at Leyden is beautiful.

My favorite exercise was the impromptu pop up target drill. I can really see this one developing next year.

Target detection was a real eye opener. I could see this one being a fun timed event with points for correct ranging along with location.

Had a blast camping with everyone who spent the second night on the range, and met a bunch of cool folks. Thank you to the instructors for volunteering your weekend to help make us better shooters(and Americans). Really looking forward to attending next year!

IMG_4153.jpgIMG_4157.jpgIMG_4147.jpgIMG_4149.jpgIMG_4144.jpgIMG_4152.jpgIMG_4150.jpgIMG_4146.jpgIMG_4145.jpg

Back
Top Bottom