Lic Question

Quick question do you actually have to take the class or can you just study the book take some practice test and sit down for the test?

Assuming you're asking about an amateur radio license. One option is to download one of the many apps out there that has the current FCC question pool. Set aside some time a few times a week or more often, review the material, and keep taking the dummy tests until you are consistently scoring in the 80s or 90s and you'll very likely pass. This won't get you very far as far as actually knowing how to properly set up and operate but read through this forum and you'll see there are lots of folks on here willing to help. Good luck!

Quick question do you actually have to take the class or can you just study the book take some practice test and sit down for the test?

Assuming you are talking about a Ham Radio license (which is wgere this question was posted :) ) you are correct, you can study on your own or with the help of the many internet based training available. The best thing you can do even if you take a class is study the questions over and over again. Dis regard the answer below.

Congratulations on your interest in the amateur radio hobby! It's a lot of fun you you will learn tons if you stick with it. Other "Hams" are always full of knowledge. Good Luck!!!

Search bar is your friend with stuff like this. Yes, you have to actually take the class, complete the hours of training, and obtain a certificate of completion, some towns/police chiefs require live fire.

Being that this question was posted in the Ham Radio forum your answer is wrong, there is no live fire test, no police chief, and no certificate of completion for an amateur radio license. :)

Use www.qrz.com it is free and the practice test section is one of the best. All you have to do is become a member of QRZ it is free and go to the rescores section and start doing the practice tests.
The system will track your progress and let you know what areas you are weak in. If you dedicate 30 minuets a day for 30 days doing the practice tests you will be scoring at least a 95% and this is good enough to pass the Technician Test . I am not sure where you are, however there is ham radio lic. testing on the last Friday of the month every month of the year at the Holyoke Hospital in Holyoke MA. If you need more info contact me .
John N1HM

I took a class, read the ARRL book, watched Dave Casler's YT videos (that go chapter by chapter to the book) and took many QRZ tests. I sat for the exam and passed both Tech and General at that sitting. I had wanted to take the Extra class, but too much going on to read/study for that since the class starts in 2 weeks. I'll wait for the next time Nashua Area Radio Society runs the class in the Fall.

I took a class, read the ARRL book, watched Dave Casler's YT videos (that go chapter by chapter to the book) and took many QRZ tests. I sat for the exam and passed both Tech and General at that sitting. I had wanted to take the Extra class, but too much going on to read/study for that since the class starts in 2 weeks. I'll wait for the next time Nashua Area Radio Society runs the class in the Fall.

The Nashua Area Radio Society class is a good one I took that class and passed with all but 2 questions correct. Fred and Anita who run the club are good people.

When I got my tech I studied the book and did online test until I felt I was ready and took the test and passed!

I kept doing the quizzes on QRZ and then used the spiral bound book as a reference when I was looking to get the Technician license. I‘m doing the same now for the General exam.

Here's a question for you from a guy who knows absolutely nothing at all about radios:
Why get a license? Why can't someone just buy a radio and an antenna and mess around?
I'm not trolling. I've just always wondered why you need a ham license but you don't need a CB license.

Here's a question for you from a guy who knows absolutely nothing at all about radios:
Why get a license? Why can't someone just buy a radio and an antenna and mess around?
I'm not trolling. I've just always wondered why you need a ham license but you don't need a CB license.

Nothing prevents you from obtaining equipment and listening. Since the amateur radio bands are self-policing,
should you transmit regularly from a fixed location you are exposed to be reported to the FCC and subject to
fines. Likelihood? Unknown.

There are ham contests called "fox-hunting" which involve use of mobile directional antennas to locate a small, hidden
transmitter -- hmmmm, wonder what skill is being trained/practiced here? (grin).

I never attended a class - I used two books (same author) to get my license - one for Technician, one for General.

The books are included in Kindle Unlimited, so the effective cost to me was zero.
Author is Craig Buck K4IA , titles are similar to "Pass your Amateur Radio ZZZZZ Class Test the easy way".

For practice tests I registered at HamExam.org -- no cost to register, and they track per-question and per-section results for registered users.

I took the class and I have to say the cool thing about the class is that the instructor was able to show us the concepts in real life such as antennas, radio operation, etc.

Nothing prevents you from obtaining equipment and listening. Since the amateur radio bands are self-policing,
should you transmit regularly from a fixed location you are exposed to be reported to the FCC and subject to
fines. Likelihood? Unknown.

There are ham contests called "fox-hunting" which involve use of mobile directional antennas to locate a small, hidden
transmitter -- hmmmm, wonder what skill is being trained/practiced here? (grin).
Thanks. Interesting.

I found the extra really intense. Never having been exposed to any of that information before. I read someplace that you only need to study for about 40 hours. HA! It seems as if I put in 400 hours between the videos and reading the book twice!! Now the wait for the license email up grade. Until then I have /AE after my call sign.
Thanks to everyone for all the tips and advice, it is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom