Limit for jerry can gas storage in Mass?

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm showing some love to my generator by getting some Wavian jerry cans, making a trek to the nearest free state for ethanol-free gas, and storing with stabilizer in my shed. Got me wondering: is there a limit to the amount I can store in Mass, whether by law or fire code? The only thing close I can find is, "All aboveground storage tanks (ASTs) greater than 10,000 gallons that store any fluid other than water require permits and inspections."

So I'm assuming 2,000 of these 5-gal jerry cans is my limit! ;)

Store it in a shed, not in the garage.

In NH I usually have about 40 gallons in my shed, once a month I pour 5 gallons plus the leftovers in the can I am using for power equipment into one of the cars and refill the cans putting it in the back of the rotation

Normally none of my stuff is older than 6 months, and I don't add anything to it.

Here in FL the HOA says no more than 5 gallons in the garage

Store it in a shed, not in the garage.

In NH I usually have about 40 gallons in my shed, once a month I pour 5 gallons plus the leftovers in the can I am using for power equipment into one of the cars and refill the cans putting it in the back of the rotation

Normally none of my stuff is older than 6 months, and I don't add anything to it.

Someone who understands supply management and FIFO. That's "first in, first out" for those who are wondering.

I keep 15-20 gallons on hand but I also have the manual version of one of these gas siphons in case I had to take gas from the family vehicles.

Ugh, I can't believe how much this state sucks, on top of having to drive an hour both ways to get pure FUEL that isn't 10% libtard.

Ugh, I can't believe how much this state sucks, on top of having to drive an hour both ways to get pure FUEL that isn't 10% libtard.
Where u get it? The ethanol gas effs up my boat.

And the weedwacker and chainsaw. I use haffners 110 octane in those, but it's leaded and eventually messes up the plugs.

And the weedwacker and chainsaw. I use haffners 110 octane in those, but it's leaded and eventually messes up the plugs.

Driving to Winchester, NH. There's a map function on this site but a lot of listings are either garden supply stores or list "VP racing fuel," so the $20/gal pre-canned stuff. This listing says as of 1 month ago they're still 24/7 with ethanol-free at the pump.

It looks like 12 gals is the limit in garages. This is the excerpt from the CMR:

42.7.2.4.3 No gasoline shall be handled outside of storage tanks or portable gasoline tanks except in approved safety cans or approved metal or plastic containers, and they shall be kept tightly closed except when in use. Containers used for the handling and storage of gasoline in garages shall have a total quantity not to exceed 12 gallons.

The full CMR, which has ammo storage info as well is: https://www.mass.gov/doc/527-cmr-100-massachusetts-comprehensive-fire-safety-code/download

Though I agree with having the nice jerry cans, some Sunoco stations (in MA) offer cans of alcohol free fuel in tin cans. They have non-race applications available. Even leaded if you'd like.
You'll have to talk with the station manager to order what you need. The manager at the station near me was a dope and knew nothing of the ability to get non-race, non-ethanol, fuel.

Not sure if I'm following this correctly... Is the reference to the pre-packaged (cans) of ethanol free fuel, available at most hardware stores, or pump at the island into the approved storage container? It seemed clear, at first, that the OP was intending to buy at the pump and fill 5/8/10 gallon containers. This is far more economical. Many small stations sell ethanol free high octane fuel in northern New England. I have never seen it in southern NE.

Someone who understands supply management and FIFO. That's "first in, first out" for those who are wondering.
I am used to the term fefo......first expired first out......but I deal with material with expiration dates. 😁

I buy true fuel at tractor supply. It's pre mixed 50-1 2 stroke. It's expensive but I do not use enough of it to make a difference in the line trimmer and my ice auger for ice fishing. It's no ethenol and I have not had a problem leaving it on my auger for the summer......she fires right up in the winter.

I had never heard the term jerry can. Wiki tells me it was a slang term for Germans during WW2 and as the Germans invented this gas can design it was called a jerry can by the allies. Interesting to me.

Not sure if I'm following this correctly... Is the reference to the pre-packaged (cans) of ethanol free fuel, available at most hardware stores, or pump at the island into the approved storage container? It seemed clear, at first, that the OP was intending to buy at the pump and fill 5/8/10 gallon containers. This is far more economical. Many small stations sell ethanol free high octane fuel in northern New England. I have never seen it in southern NE.

Correct. I’m going to the nearest gas station pump with non-ethanol fuel to fill 5-gal cans. The pre-packaged cans at hardware and garden supply stores are marked up 5-10x the price. Ludicrous.

7511078E-392B-4A93-AA4E-5DC7497E8694.jpeg5697E5F5-BC8C-46C5-B436-45C171220C52.jpeg

It's pre packaged in small round cans and larger square Gerry cans. Can be bought pre mixed with oil for 2 strokes too. This is the small cans. It's expensive but of your only running it in lawn mowers and line trimmers for me it's worth the convenience.

ThreeCanCap.png

It's pre packaged in small round cans and larger square Gerry cans. Can be bought pre mixed with oil for 2 strokes too. This is the small cans. It's expensive but of your only running it in lawn mowers and line trimmers for me it's worth the convenience.

View attachment 356764
I've been thinking about going this route with the small engines.
The boat is another story. Boat is hard to fill from a can, very tough not to spill. I'm going to reconfigure the fill neck this summer. Other problem is Marina fuel sucks, it always goes bad, and on Winnepesaukee filling the boat 10 gals at a time sucks. Sometimes I won't get up there for a month, and if you get a cold night, you get condensation/dew in the air and it gets in the tank. Water separators only go so far, the real problem is the ethanol effing up the lines, clogging the carbs with rubber bits, and corrosion in the float bowls. I stay on top of it pretty good... but it really doesn't have to be this way. There used to be places up there... but no more.

I've been thinking about going this route with the small engines.
The boat is another story. Boat is hard to fill from a can, very tough not to spill. I'm going to reconfigure the fill neck this summer. Other problem is Marina fuel sucks, it always goes bad, and on Winnepesaukee filling the boat 10 gals at a time sucks. Sometimes I won't get up there for a month, and if you get a cold night, you get condensation/dew in the air and it gets in the tank. Water separators only go so far, the real problem is the ethanol effing up the lines, clogging the carbs with rubber bits, and corrosion in the float bowls. I stay on top of it pretty good... but it really doesn't have to be this way. There used to be places up there... but no more.
I've been using it in my line trimmer, 2 stroke snow blower, and ice auger for 5 years. No screwed up lines and they all start right up even after leaving fuel in them for months. It's worth the price considering the small amount of it that I use.

If it’s closer, Hampton NH airport sells MOGAS 24/7 self service. A Nearby local gas station (Goshen, NH Country Store) sells no Ethanol high test fro around $3.25 a gallon. A lot of places that cater to ATV’s and sleds have it.

<snip> Boat is hard to fill from a can, very tough not to spill. I'm going to reconfigure the fill neck this summer...

quit pouring your gas and syphon!
41rutLropmL._AC_.jpg

View: https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Self-Priming-Aquariums-Drinking-FDA-Grade/dp/B00MVAIL76

Especially with a boat. Set the can, start the syphon, unroll the newports from your tshirt and have a smoke.
:)

I've got two boats. I haven't poured gas, or spilled, in years.

Correct. I’m going to the nearest gas station pump with non-ethanol fuel to fill 5-gal cans. The pre-packaged cans at hardware and garden supply stores are marked up 5-10x the price. Ludicrous.

View attachment 356762View attachment 356763

Not if they can sell it. Then it's brilliant. This is why I posted the kerosene thread, before Winter. I don't want to have Home Despot get Brilliant with pricey kero, on my dime. [laugh]

$2.549 for 90 octane no ethanol at Evan's in Sunapee, yesterday.
Awesome, been buying no ethanol high test at the Goshen Country Store for $3.15. Think Evans is where I buy off-road diesel - the place next to the fireworks shop and across from NADA?

Back
Top Bottom