Linear Compensator - Great or Gadget?

Mountain

NES Member
Thought I'd check with the troops on this one. There are not tons of big bore AR (.458 socom) options for comps / brakes, but one option from Tromix is their linear comp. For other calibers I've had good luck with comps from VG6, ALG Defense, and others like the Cookie Cutter. The Radical brake on my .458 rifle is decent. They are generally effective brakes and anti-muzzle jump devices, but all are loud and some are insanely loud.

I understand the idea of a linear comp is to direct the blast downrange which minimizes the noise and concussion especially for enclosed areas like an indoor range. Uh, doesn't a muzzle with NO device already do that? Other than typically distribute the blast into several forward facing ports, does a linear comp actually accomplish anything with that function? I"m planning to get the tax stamp then build (AR language for 'assemble' [laugh]) a SBR .458 and will want something effective on the business end. A linear comp is intriguing to me, but will it will it significantly lighten recoil or only lighten my wallet?

Thanks in advance for your comments. [smile]

I’ve never done a linear comp to bare muzzle direct comparison, but I imagine they would be very similar in terms of lateral observed blast.

That said, some(many?) linear comps reduce flash compared to a bare muzzle. Not close to flash hider level, and probably similar to normal comps. But much better than a bare muzzle.

I’ve never done a linear comp to bare muzzle direct comparison, but I imagine they would be very similar in terms of lateral observed blast.

That said, some(many?) linear comps reduce flash compared to a bare muzzle. Not close to flash hider level, and probably similar to normal comps. But much better than a bare muzzle.
Thanks. They tend to be a bit pricey compared to other simpler muzzle devices, so if flash reduction is all I get I think I'd pass.

If you look at Kaw Valley's linear, they make no claims of recoil reduction - just that it redirects blast and noise downrange. I've had one linear comp, and I'd agree, no recoil management to speak of. It is a bit quieter, especially shooting under a roof or near walls.

I wouldn't spend $50 on another one.

I have a couple of Kaw Valley’s linear comps and as @KMM696 says, they do nothing to mitigate recoil. What they do do is a pretty good job of directing the blast and sound down range, away from the shooter. I have one on my FNX 45 and it does a decent job of reducing the perceived nose and blast when shooting indoors, not anywhere near what you get with a can, but noticeable.
FNX 45.jpg

My gut is they do about as much for redirecting sound as extra barrel would. I've got one one on a (can't quite remember, want to say 8 inch barrel) AR9, a 4 inch. Perceived noise (no ears, for a guy without notable hearing damage) seemed reduced a touch playing with it installed and not, outdoors. I think they are probably gay.

As far as recoil, everything I'm aware of says no change.

With that big bore. Inside or with objects around. I don't know a thing. But my gut says, move the muzzle the same distance away is a similar impact while also potentially gaining ballistics. Or get a suppressor for the real effect.

Thought I'd check with the troops on this one. There are not tons of big bore AR (.458 socom) options for comps / brakes, but one option from Tromix is their linear comp. For other calibers I've had good luck with comps from VG6, ALG Defense, and others like the Cookie Cutter. The Radical brake on my .458 rifle is decent. They are generally effective brakes and anti-muzzle jump devices, but all are loud and some are insanely loud.

I understand the idea of a linear comp is to direct the blast downrange which minimizes the noise and concussion especially for enclosed areas like an indoor range. Uh, doesn't a muzzle with NO device already do that? Other than typically distribute the blast into several forward facing ports, does a linear comp actually accomplish anything with that function? I"m planning to get the tax stamp then build (AR language for 'assemble' [laugh]) a SBR .458 and will want something effective on the business end. A linear comp is intriguing to me, but will it will it significantly lighten recoil or only lighten my wallet?

Thanks in advance for your comments. [smile]
Watching this one....I put Tromix radial comps on both my 458's they sure suck under the enclosed space of the range cover and I like them but I really can't compare to anything. Seriously considering doing a 375 Socom build, may want to try something else than just sticking a radial on it. I did just put an Odin Atlas comp on a new 223 Wylde build but haven't had a lot of time to tweak it, but I like the idea of being able to turn the sleeve and tune it to your liking. IDK if they make one for the big bores however.

This, on a 16" barrel 22 with subsonics does a decent job. Ears don't ring, but not near what a good 22 suppressor does (sounds like opening a soda can, then a louder "THWACK" as the bullet impacts the target), but no tax stamp and legal in MA. I don't know if I trust something made from 416 on a center-fire, but apparently people have a high opinion of their suppressors made from the same material.

Sound Mitigation Equipment Standard

This, on a 16" barrel 22 with subsonics does a decent job. Ears don't ring, but not near what a good 22 suppressor does (sounds like opening a soda can, then a louder "THWACK" as the bullet impacts the target), but no tax stamp and legal in MA. I don't know if I trust something made from 416 on a center-fire, but apparently people have a high opinion of their suppressors made from the same material.

Why do you think 416 is a bad choice for muzzle devices?
It's used for barrels so strength isn't an issue.
Corrosion resistance isn't great compared to 316 or titanium but that wouldn't be any different between center or rimfire

Seems quite a bit different and up level from the kaw versions.

Why do you think 416 is a bad choice for muzzle devices?
It's used for barrels so strength isn't an issue.
Corrosion resistance isn't great compared to 316 or titanium but that wouldn't be any different between center or rimfire

It is a "free machining" grade with added sulfur for better machinability. Sulfur has a lower melting point than the surrounding steel, so it creates weakness at the grain boundaries at high temperature. In my mind at least it will ablate away and be more apt to fail long term vs. 17-4, 316 etc. I don't have any real-world data to back this up, and I haven't heard complaints about their suppressors but I haven't really gone looking either. Barrels are made from it, but they aren't subject to some of the harsh conditions a suppressor experiences (high-velocity and high-temp gas impingement at near right-angles, abrasive particles etc.) and they tend to be a lot thicker than a suppressor's walls. There is a reason a lot of suppressors have inconel or stellite blast baffles, they have excellent high temperature and wear characteristics.

Watching this one....I put Tromix radial comps on both my 458's they sure suck under the enclosed space of the range cover and I like them but I really can't compare to anything. Seriously considering doing a 375 Socom build, may want to try something else than just sticking a radial on it. I did just put an Odin Atlas comp on a new 223 Wylde build but haven't had a lot of time to tweak it, but I like the idea of being able to turn the sleeve and tune it to your liking. IDK if they make one for the big bores however.
Do the radials work well for recoil reduction?

It is a "free machining" grade with added sulfur for better machinability. Sulfur has a lower melting point than the surrounding steel, so it creates weakness at the grain boundaries at high temperature. In my mind at least it will ablate away and be more apt to fail long term vs. 17-4, 316 etc. I don't have any real-world data to back this up, and I haven't heard complaints about their suppressors but I haven't really gone looking either. Barrels are made from it, but they aren't subject to some of the harsh conditions a suppressor experiences (high-velocity and high-temp gas impingement at near right-angles, abrasive particles etc.) and they tend to be a lot thicker than a suppressor's walls. There is a reason a lot of suppressors have inconel or stellite blast baffles, they have excellent high temperature and wear characteristics.
I would think that the harshest conditions would be in the throat
But I'm an electrical engineer so my materials courses covered semiconductors not metallurgy.

Probably comes down to economics- people are willing to pay extra to extend the life of an already expensive suppressor. They aren't going to on am easy to replace muzzle device.

Probably depends on caliber but I know objectively 16" AR with just a crown is "bad" vs a lot of brakes even. Now there are brakes that are worse than that, but that's a whole other category of fun.

I put a Kaw Valley(?) on my 9mm AR sbr. Admittedly the purpose was to lengthen the barrel for a longer handguard. The gun felt a little too itty bitty. Going from a vg6 brake to this made a huge difference in sound. Comparing it to the naked barrel made no difference in recoil management.

I would think that the harshest conditions would be in the throat
But I'm an electrical engineer so my materials courses covered semiconductors not metallurgy.

Probably comes down to economics- people are willing to pay extra to extend the life of an already expensive suppressor. They aren't going to on am easy to replace muzzle device.

You are correct regarding the throat. Vintage military rifles such as an M1 Garand will almost always have higher throat wear vs. muzzle wear. The only exception might be a rifle that was shot very little but cleaned often with a steel cleaning rod.

Probably depends on caliber but I know objectively 16" AR with just a crown is "bad" vs a lot of brakes even. Now there are brakes that are worse than that, but that's a whole other category of fun.
Was that you who brought an AR, maybe a SBR, to a NES shoot with a Cookie Cutter brake on it? Whoever brought that think, it was my inspiration to put on on my 300 BLK pistol. It is insanely loud- like clear the firing line loud. Works well, but crazy loud. If I have a person or group at the range who are being complete tools, out comes the Cookie Cutter.

I put a linear comp on my SBR AR9 just to fill up some of the room in the hand guard. I don’t think it really does a whole lot. Makes it a little quieter when shooting from under a roof

Do the radials work well for recoil reduction?
That's what I have heard but to be honest I never have really done any comparison and my .458's are the only big bore AR's I own so I have nothing to compare them too. Only thing I can say with the radial comps the recoil still feels like My Marlin guide gun with factory 45/70's.

That might explain while the linear comp for my AR9 (came on my upper) does subjectively nothing other than a slight change in shot acoustics. Little more of a down range "THUMP" than a crack at the muzzle. But I don't notice any recoil difference. That sound change is actually not bad at all, but I wouldn't go out of my way just for that.

Was that you who brought an AR, maybe a SBR, to a NES shoot with a Cookie Cutter brake on it? Whoever brought that think, it was my inspiration to put on on my 300 BLK pistol. It is insanely loud- like clear the firing line loud. Works well, but crazy loud. If I have a person or group at the range who are being complete tools, out comes the Cookie Cutter.

Nope, definitely not me. [rofl] That's exactly the kind of thing I don't buy, although I can see how the loudener would be a benefit in those situations. [laugh]

That might explain while the linear comp for my AR9 (came on my upper) does subjectively nothing other than a slight change in shot acoustics. Little more of a down range "THUMP" than a crack at the muzzle. But I don't notice any recoil difference. That sound change is actually not bad at all, but I wouldn't go out of my way just for that.

Yeah with a 16" 9mm, the powder burns fast and there's a smaller volume of gas there, too, so that makes sense.

Running a few numbers through Gordons Reloading Tool shows a muzzle pressure out of a 16" barrel of:
223: 14kPSI (55g 27.4g CFE-223)
9mm: 1kPSI (115g 5.4g CFE-Pistol)

Going to have a seriously different report simply because of the overpressure even without the massive increase in noise from the doubling of velocity.

Some yokels on youtube tested sound levels with an expensive Db meter by placing it about 1ft in front of the muzzle just off to the side. Boy, some yokels have a lot of money to waste. They didn't place it on a tripod, no! One of them, with a mullet, was holding it! Living with hands is optional to them, apparently. Redneck comedy, I tell you what!
Anyways, they compared sound levels between the front of the rifle and behind next to the shooter's ears. For a 223 with Witt Machine linear comp, they saw a difference of about 8-9 DB, proving that there is some form of sound shaping that takes place with linear comps.

Some yokels on youtube tested sound levels with an expensive Db meter by placing it about 1ft in front of the muzzle just off to the side. Boy, some yokels have a lot of money to waste. They didn't place it on a tripod, no! One of them, with a mullet, was holding it! Living with hands is optional to them, apparently. Redneck comedy, I tell you what!
Anyways, they compared sound levels between the front of the rifle and behind next to the shooter's ears. For a 223 with Witt Machine linear comp, they saw a difference of about 8-9 DB, proving that there is some form of sound shaping that takes place with linear comps.

Wow...10dB would be a doubling of perceived sound, so that's not insignificant for a simple muzzle device.

Back
Top Bottom