Linear Compensator - Great or Gadget?

Nope, definitely not me. [rofl] That's exactly the kind of thing I don't buy, although I can see how the loudener would be a benefit in those situations. [laugh]
Damn, wish I remembered who it was. A NES Monadnock shoot lineup isn't the sort of scenario where you think you would notice one brake or another, but that thing firing next to me prompted my, "Dude, WTF is that?".

Damn, wish I remembered who it was. A NES Monadnock shoot lineup isn't the sort of scenario where you think you would notice one brake or another, but that thing firing next to me prompted my, "Dude, WTF is that?".
I know the guy you're thinking of, im friends with him on fb, but I don't think he's active here anymore

I would think that the harshest conditions would be in the throat
But I'm an electrical engineer so my materials courses covered semiconductors not metallurgy.

Probably comes down to economics- people are willing to pay extra to extend the life of an already expensive suppressor. They aren't going to on am easy to replace muzzle device.

I'm a mechanical engineer, not a metallurgist, but I asked the metallurgist at my last job specifically about 416 in suppressor applications. This was when I was building form 1 cans back in my free-state days in NC. I think what I'm talking about would mainly be a problem at high rates of fire or in full-auto applications where you have severe temperature ratcheting. But I have seen easily identifiable wear on hardened 17-4 baffles even after just a few thousand rounds of short-barrel center-fire use, whereas I can't see anything on the muzzle. It might just be it's more uniform and harder to identify though. You do not see 416 being used in machineguns or high-rate-of-fire applications as far as I know, in fact some early M60s had stellite-lined barrels.

I'm a mechanical engineer, not a metallurgist, but I asked the metallurgist at my last job specifically about 416 in suppressor applications. This was when I was building form 1 cans back in my free-state days in NC. I think what I'm talking about would mainly be a problem at high rates of fire or in full-auto applications where you have severe temperature ratcheting. But I have seen easily identifiable wear on hardened 17-4 baffles even after just a few thousand rounds of short-barrel center-fire use, whereas I can't see anything on the muzzle. It might just be it's more uniform and harder to identify though. You do not see 416 being used in machineguns or high-rate-of-fire applications as far as I know, in fact some early M60s had stellite-lined barrels.

I'm a doctor, Jim, not a geologist! [rofl]

I have a Griffin linear comp on my SHTF carbine. I have to believe it works as advertised. It's like a brake, but throws the noise downrange instead of to the sides.

I don't see the one I've got on their site anymore. Their new ones function as a taper mount if you get a suppressor.

I also have their flash-comp on my .308 AR and it does a nice job, too.

I appreciate all the feedback regarding the linear comps. Looks like that's not what I want, though if I were an indoor range shooter I'd probably use one. I'm more interested in recoil and muzzle flip mitigation, so I'm going with one of these:

rs=w:600,h:600

Trident / JCB is a guy out of Arizona who is a retired engineer and literally runs his CNC operation out of his garage. Good feedback on these and they are made from nitride finished 4140 steel. Oh, $35 too- so made in USA machined from billet quality for Chinesium MIM pricing. He makes self-timing brakes for ~$90 but in pin and weld territory you just want the crush washer. Actually I'd prefer the simple crush washer option anyway.

edit- I ordered over the weekend and he already shipped it Monday with tracking.

Last edited:
I have a Griffin linear comp on my SHTF carbine. I have to believe it works as advertised. It's like a brake, but throws the noise downrange instead of to the sides.

I don't see the one I've got on their site anymore. Their new ones function as a taper mount if you get a suppressor.

I also have their flash-comp on my .308 AR and it does a nice job, too.
I looked for the one you have for a long time before giving up when they finally came out with the taper/threaded one that is on there now. It’s a shame because it seemed like a good option for ban state people.

Yeah this is their current offering:

You could get it with the thread protector:

or the blast shield, which really looks to throw the noise downrange:

I don't know why they discontinued the one I have, other than to push the taper mount, vs their older SD-QD suppressor interface. The one I've got looks like this:

I like it because it's basically the same diameter as the barrel, vs the Kaw Valley and others that look like a big knob

Back
Top Bottom