Litchfield man killed by officer for shooting off his porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
No comments should be made until the investigation is completed, But you wouldn't understand that would you.

This is absolutely true. No statement should be made to the media until the investigation is completed.

Just because the police, media, prosecutor and others often violate this, does not change the fact that no one should make public statements about a case until the facts are determined and the investigation is completed. Police policy should be to say, "I can not comment on the details of an active investigation" an leave it at that.

This is absolutely true. No statement should be made to the media until the investigation is completed.

Just because the police, media, prosecutor and others often violate this, does not change the fact that no one should make public statements about a case until the facts are determined and the investigation is completed. Police policy should be to say, "I can not comment on the details of an active investigation" an leave it at that.

While I realize this is the current policy, I actually am against it. Sunlight is the best disinfectant. This policy gives a de facto blanket of immunity to police to hide behind while they try to make up a plausible story. Jose anyone? Facts should be presented immediately, while conjecture and guesses should not be mixed in.

Last edited:
I don't think there's any legal obligation for the police to make any statements to the press. Like us, the police probably also realize how the media likes to spin the facts. Eventually it all becomes public record. If you really think something shady is going on then persue those public records when they're released. We've become so used to news being pumped live into our living rooms that it's become expected.

Check out this video. Why did the cop shoot him in the back? Look carefully and you'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGaJi6pkGgw
Even then, the camera doesn't always look good. Add that to the fact the suspect was mostly shot in the back and this wouldn't have ended well.

Watch this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7At5RyV_yo

Then this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPEiRQoALcs

Yup, point a gun at an officers head, it won't end well for all concerned. Just remember, the camera can lie by omission.

This is why I don't jump to conclusions based on even what may seem like objective evidence, much less what the subjectively tinged info the media puts out.

While I realize this is the current policy, I actually am against it. Sunlight is the best disinfectant. This policy gives a de facto blanket of immunity to police to hide behind while they try to make up a plausible story. Jose anyone? Facts should be presented immediately, while conjecture and guesses should not be mixed in.

Should this apply in all investigations, or just ones where the police are directly involved?

There's a reason grand jury proceedings are conducted in secrecy...

I found out he wasn't actually shot in the back it was his side he was shot in the ribs. My friend knows the nurse that admitted him to the hospital. His parents also live next door to the shooter. His dad tried to get the guy to talk. He said the guy was shooting inside the trailer and they found a bullet someones couch. Everyone said it was out of character for this guy. Apparently he lost his job and his benefits had just run out.
So any speculation is just that, speculation..

Last edited:
Everyone plays the what if game...
...what if the guy had a dog?

I found out he wasn't actually shot in the back it was his side he was shot in the ribs. My friend knows the nurse that admitted him to the hospital. His parents also live next door to the shooter. His dad tried to get the guy to talk. He said the guy was shooting inside the trailer and they found a bullet someones couch. Everyone said it was out of character for this guy. Apparently he lost his job and his benefits had just run out.
So any speculation is just that, speculation..
If this is in fact true,there are many desperate, hungry, folks in this country and it is only going to get worse. Some folks take it to drastic measures, others are so frustrated they take it out on loved one's and friends. This is not a good situation we are in as a nation, expect to hear of more situations similar in nature.

Like I said you weren't there and niether was I. We don't know if the person was squared off with another officer and an officer coming around the trailer, made the shot, DO WE? You just want to rush to judgement, haven't we seen enough of this lately. That is why the remark about you wouldn't understand. You are showing that you refuse to think about all the possibilties that could have been involved in that incident.

Wow, JW is so itchy for a online fight that he is defending the police! Quick, somone call him a name before he starts saying good things about the ATF!

I don't think any of you understand what I am trying to communicate to you. I am not speaking about whether or not it was justifiable, I am talking about the police and their complete disregard for the people of NH by not making a comment.

No, the fishyness comes from the fact that the guy was shot in the back on his own property... 2 pieces of evidence that would have the prosecutor salivating if this were a civilian shooting. But I agree that I wasn't there so I don't know, which is why I didn't come in here screaming about the Gestapo. This whole thing sat perfectly well with me until I realized that not one minute piece of evidence was offered by the police.

Haha that is so incorrect Alex Trebek just defecated himself. Cops make statements all the time even immediately after the fact. How hard is it to say "The officers approached the man and he opened fire, officers returned fire"? Is it so difficult or risky to make a statement as simple as a round count? I'm sure when he was interviewed Agati he knew tons of details that would in no way interfere with the investigation. How many officers were involved? How many shots fired by both parties? What caliber guns were used?

Agati just told NH "F you, that's my comment".

Oh, and what's with the "But you wouldn't understand that would you" remark?

I kind of get where you are coming from with your statements, but I'm curious why you keep mentioning the round count as some critical piece of information? What difference does it make if trailerpark guy didn't fire a shot, but was refusing to drop his gun, or if the police open fired and only hit him once? the end result is exactly the same (guy is dead), so we are just left trying to figure out the order of operations that led up to that fact. How many shots fired is completely irrelevant since the only one that counted was the fatal one.

There is extremely little value to the real-time release of information during an active investigation. In general it hinders actual investigative work and detracts from the validity of the investigation.

And, as far as "stick to the facts" You'd be amazed how hard that actually is. The only facts that I've seen released so far that haven't had conjecture or assumption mixed into them are:

Man from Litchfield was shot.
He was 35 years old
He lived at 31 Page Road Unit #23
He was treated my parametics at 31 Page Road
He was transported via ambulance to SNHMC in Nashua, where he was pronounced dead
He suffered a gunshot wound that perforated his right lung

Witness statement, police statements and news reporter commentary all include conjecture and personal assumptions.

No, I agree that shedding light on the investigation is important, and every aspect of the investigation into any public official (police, public employee or elected official) should be made a matter of public record afterward for review and scrutiny for possible corrective action, but that does not require or benefit from, real-time release of investigative information

How hard is it to say "The officers approached the man and he opened fire, officers returned fire"? Is it so difficult or risky to make a statement as simple as a round count? I'm sure when he was interviewed Agati he knew tons of details that would in no way interfere with the investigation. How many officers were involved? How many shots fired by both parties? What caliber guns were used?

1) the first statement is pure conjecture at this point in the investigation and would be based, at best, on a single observation report, and making the statement could bias the entire investigation.
2) Getting a round count isn't as easy as pulling a magazine and counting remaining rounds because you're assuming where they started. Was the magazine fully loaded to start with? Was there an additional round in the chamber or was the chamber loaded from the magazine? An accurate round count from the police required locating casing and potentially tying them back to the officer's firearm (just because their a casing on the ground doesn't mean it was fired by the police on that day) Besides, as pointed out, there's very limited value in a round count fired by police.
3) A round count fired by Jason Lagueux is even harder. Since there are reports of him firing from inside the house prior to their arrival, physical evidence indicating shots fired may easily pre-date the police arrival, and there may never be an effective way to confirm any statement about Jason firing at police. This could only ever be confirmed by the presence of a bullet impact to an object that was not present before police and in the direction of police from Jason at the time of the shooting. The lack of such evidence does not support a lack of him firing.
4) Being certain of the number of officers involved might also be difficult given this statement "Local police, along with deputies from the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Department and state troopers, responded to Lagueux's mobile home" - Knowing who arrived when and where they were at the time of the shooting requires a fair amount of work correlating statements from many different people. The only think we know is that only one officer was directly involved because only 1 bullet struck Jason.
5) Knowing the caliber or manufacturer of the firearms involved is equally valuless. It doesn't matter if Jason had a .22 Short pistol or a .460 S&W Magnum revolver. Both firearms are capable of generating deadly force.

There is extremely little value to the real-time release of information during an active investigation. In general it hinders actual investigative work and detracts from the validity of the investigation.

[snip]

No, I agree that shedding light on the investigation is important, and every aspect of the investigation into any public official (police, public employee or elected official) should be made a matter of public record afterward for review and scrutiny for possible corrective action, but that does not require or benefit from, real-time release of investigative information
Great post and spot on correct.

I kind of get where you are coming from with your statements, but I'm curious why you keep mentioning the round count as some critical piece of information?

It isn't critical, and that's exactly why I brought it up. The police "did not elaborate" on how many shots were fired. Hell an estimate would earn them brownie points for effort... Instead, even with this small detail, then chose to give us the finger by not even taking 30 seconds to estimate the shots fired. Estimations seem to be the norm, anyways.

He wants to know if it is worth his while making the trip to pick up the brass.

Reloading never made sense to me. The time isn't worth the pennies saved.

ibtl00183f.jpg

Even with facts you guys are still arguing what if's and suppositions.
There were roughly 3 shots fired on scene from what my friends parents said and they were there.
Previous to the police arriving there were multiple shots fired. One was found in a neighbors couch that had exited Jason's trailer..
Just relaying info fellas

The facts are not important to some of thses folks, They live in the world of training by TV. They no concept of how the real world works, especailly when they are still living in thier mommy's basement, like Tape Measure "Dick" Wheel is.

We disagree, get over it. You are 57 years old and acting like a ****ing infant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom