Little bit of help

So I am going camping and hiking this weekend up in new Hampshire. I am going with my friend and we both have Baofeng UV-5R's for communication. I know there is a few bands out there for public use but am not sure if the radio's are A:) too powerful for the frequencies or B:) even able to reach those frequencies. I did a search and got the huge Baofeng thread here but I cannot read through all of it from my phone. I would love a little bit of help on the topic if anyone can help.

P.S. getting my license is on my list of things to do when I get the time/money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So there are two problems with using the Baofeng on he FRS frequencies 1. Transmit power is too high, and 2. they have detachable antennas.
But if you're going to be in the woods where no one is around you would be very unlikely to encounter anyone from the FCC.

Technically you can't do it, but realistically it's not a problem where you are going. The power difference isn't enough to notice and there won't be anyone around to be affected.

The CHIRP software comes with a file ready to program the UV5R with the FRS, GMRS and MURS frequencies. Those are the "no license" bands that most walkie talkies use.

So I am going camping and hiking this weekend up in new Hampshire. I am going with my friend and we both have Baofeng UV-5R's for communication. I know there is a few bands out there for public use but am not sure if the radio's are A:) too powerful for the frequencies or B:) even able to reach those frequencies. I did a search and got the huge Baofeng thread here but I cannot read through all of it from my phone. I would love a little bit of help on the topic if anyone can help.

P.S. getting my license is on my list of things to do when I get the time/money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Technician is easy to get and the test is cheap. The easiest way to get it is to download the question pool and memorize the correct answers (while ignoring the incorrect answers). Yes it's the lazy way out, but if you want a piece of paper that allows you to generate invisible electromagnetic waves, so what. You'll learn the rest as you go.

Another alternative is to get FRS radios from Walmart or wherever. But there's a very good chance that where you're going nobody else will be using those channels and nobody will care.

Back
Top Bottom