Loading for Pedisoli sharps 45-70

Having a hard time finding a accurate smokeless load. The rifle has a 34in barrel 1-18 twist. Started with 500g cast but can not get them to not key hole. Got some 350 plated that doesnt key hole but cant get better then a 12in group at 100. Tried 3031, 2400, and reloader 7. Any ideas?

Haven't got my load book in front of me but I use a 405 Gr lead bullet in my C Sharps which also has a 34" barrel. And also my Rossi Rio Grande. I've used Unique for reduced loads at 100 Yards and 5744 for further distances. Also Trail Boss is getting good reviews.

Last edited:
I use 5744. What bullet is it? I use two 500 grain bullets. The Lyman shoots well in a Sharps 1874 and a Springfield 1873 trapdoor. The RCBS only shoots well in an 1886 lever action. Have you slugged the bore?

I have tried 500g rim rock .458 rnfp lead, 350g berrys plated, and 300g hornady hollow point. I have tried a few different powders, started with a low charge and worked my way up by .5g. I have not slugged the barrel and i have not gone much further than what I stated. I have read on some forums that the 500g projectile will tumble until you get it under 1200fps. On the next forum I read that these reproduction rifles will run full power loads well. Most all the loads I find in the books are for lever guns so I am just trying to get a idea of what others are using for projectile weight and what I should be looking for in velocity. I feel I might be a little too hot if I go by the lever gun loads.

IMR 4198 works well under my 405 gr LFNs. around 30 gr is a light load... but for my lightest loads, 10 gr of Unique. Mouse farts all day long, group just fine at 50 yards, but my gun is a H&R Handi Rifle (break action, 18" bbl) so I'm sure it's dynamics are totally different, given that it's almost half the length of yours.

Last edited:
i have pedersoli rolling block 45-70 , My favorite load for 100.....and ...200 yard is 405 cast 30 grns IMR 4198 tite groups

Where you from Busa?
What type of sights do you have on your rifle?
Buckhorn or a Vernier rear?
Blade or aperture front?

You've heard it before, "once you go black you'll never go back"

Try some Goex red can for starters.
A whole case full.
A 500 grain Gov round nose bullet, cast 20-1 or so.
Buy them from BACO when they're in stock.

There's a bunch of poor, mis-imformation posted here about black powder.

I've often thought about showing folks how to load and shoot it.
I don't wish to step on Mr. Spanglers or Mr. Coyles toes.

Should I post a feeler on "The Darkside"?

Where you from Busa?
What type of sights do you have on your rifle?
Buckhorn or a Vernier rear?
Blade or aperture front?

You've heard it before, "once you go black you'll never go back"

Try some Goex red can for starters.
A whole case full.
A 500 grain Gov round nose bullet, cast 20-1 or so.
Buy them from BACO when they're in stock.

There's a bunch of poor, mis-imformation posted here about black powder.

I've often thought about showing folks how to load and shoot it.
I don't wish to step on Mr. Spanglers or Mr. Coyles toes.

Should I post a feeler on "The Darkside"?
No worries here. You’re showing something that as far as I know neither of us do much or any of.
I say the more the merrier and sign me up when you get the first seminar together.

Having a hard time finding a accurate smokeless load. The rifle has a 34in barrel 1-18 twist. Started with 500g cast but can not get them to not key hole. Got some 350 plated that doesnt key hole but cant get better then a 12in group at 100. Tried 3031, 2400, and reloader 7. Any ideas?
Pedersoli Sharps loves black powder and heavy bullets.

2F. Compressed. Start at 62grains and work to 70g.

I have spent months reading everything you can find about reloading for the Pedersoli Sharps, and everyone seems to always have more trouble with smokeless than black powder.

Don't be afraid of black powder, it is easy to clean. I have had my Pedersoli for over 5 years and it still looks brand new, not a spot of rust anywhere. I only shoot black powder.

Back
Top Bottom