• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Loading the .54 Burnside

The Goose

NES Member
Well, here is my latest whacky project. I recently acquired a 3rd Model Burnside carbine .54 and of course I want to make the old dog bark again.

The Burnside carbine was invented by Ambrose Burnside a Union general and also the first president of the NRA. Also where the term "side burns" came from as an homage to his mutton chops. The carbine was the third most prolific breech loader during the Civil War after the Sharps and Spencer rifles. I believe there were 5 models. There were about 1500 of the 3rd model manufactured. Breech loaders and self contained cartridges were in their infancy and there was a plethora of designs from linen or paper cartridges to metallic rimfires. I think the Burnside is quite unique and fascinating. Below is an original cartridge.

With a little research I was able to locate a source for brass and nylon cases and also bullets. The brass are very heavy and well made and will probably last for my shooting lifetime. The nylon are probably less durable, but still reloadable even if less classic in appearance. However, the brass go for $4.50 each and the nylon are .75.

You can see the ignition hole in the base. There was no primer, a percussion cap was used (much like the Sharps). The traditional load is 45 grains of black powder, I used Goex 2F. I loaded 45 grains in the brass and 40 grains in the nylon. The nylon did not seem to have as much room. The bullet is from a Rapine mold and is identical to the original. I think it weighs 360 grains. I lubed it with SPG, a modern black powder lube. I did not use a drop tube for the powder but I did tap down the case several times to facilitate settling. After the powder I put in a .50 vegetable fiber wad that was .060 thick. This fit in the mouth of the case and actually completely covered the powder as the cone shape cased narrowed. There was no room for a grease cookie. The bullet fit fairly tightly, but once started I was able to push it in by hand. No seating die required.

Lastly I tried loading it in the breech block and closing the action. Both rounds were a bit snug, but I was able to completely close the breech block. I may sand down the base of the rest of the cases to fit just a little better. The case maker states that they purposely leave enough material on the base so that it can be taken down as needed. I guess there is some variance in the chamber size of different rifles.

So when the breech block is closed it swings up and seats the bullet into the barrel. There is no chamber in the barrel as the brass is completely seated in the breech block. Extraction is done by hand. Probably seems awkward today, but I guess at the time this was cutting edge. Supposedly these carbines were pretty accurate, although I suspect that the 300 and 500 yard notches on the sight were a bit optimistic. I will post a range report once I try it out.

When you posted this in the "What did you get thread" I was excited to see the follow-up post as I had no clue how that round would chamber in the firearm as it's nothing like a traditional cartridge these days. Great stuff! Thanks!

Range report should be interesting!

A cartridge I never knew existed. On the original rounds, was the "spare tire" looking bit soldered/brazed on or is it actually part of the same piece of brass?

Cool as hell. Congratulations on sourcing cartridges for that.
I can see the screw machined brass... I'm kinda shocked at the availability of a plastic molded option...

Know anybody in a CNC shop to reproduce the brass for cost? [smile]

Great pics thanks for sharing. I haven't reloaded in a while but everytime I read one of your threads it makes me think about starting up. Have fun Be safe.

.54 Burnside

Hi Goose , I have a Burnside also. 3'rd mode I believe. There is allot of history behind Lt. Ambrose Burnside. He was one of the founders of the NRA and First President of the NRA . ". I think." He wore/ had huge Muttonchops and this how the term Sideburns came from .I recommend the Book " The Burnside Breech loading carbines by Edward A Hull.
Check amazon. As they are out of print .
After stumbling. On this thread .I think I will take my Burnsidee to the range today as I have ammo all loaded for but I haven't shot it for a while .
Enjoy. They are allot of fun and state-of-the-art for the time back in the day .,,
Old Rover

I just read the start of. Your post. So I justrepeated what you said you can shave the bottom of the plastic ones about 3/16 of an inch off the bottom with the utility knife or a grinder Before you load them in they will fit better as they will be shorter . And I highly recommend the book , have fun, old rover

A few updates. I did get to the range and there is a report in the Firearms forum. Bottom line is that the Burnside functioned flawlessly. I put 30 rds through it without a hitch. Accuracy is about as expected from a 19th century military rifle. Surprisingly it was pretty much dead on at 50 yards and shot 5" - 8" groups. Not a tack driver, but certainly adequate for it's intended purpose. I also expect that I will do better next time.

This weekend I ordered more brass and nylon cases. I also ordered a bullet mold from Accurate Molds. They actually make 3 specific molds for the Burnside. I also ordered a mold for my Chamelot-Delvigne 11mm French revolver. They make four molds for it. If you are not familiar with them Accurate molds is a great company. They make reasonably priced molds for any diameter bullet that you desire including custom designs.

Any updates Goose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom