Loading the the 460 S&W

1903Collector

NES Member
So I finally have gotten around to loading my first small batch of 460 Mag's, When I say small batch I mean 10 rounds. First thing I noticed was resizing the case took way much more force than I have experienced with anything I have reloaded previously, I'm using a Hornandy carbide sizer die but I actually lubed up the cases slightly which helped but is that normal with the 460? (S&B cases).

So now I have case sized and flared, the bullet I'm starting with is a Hornandy 240gr XTP MAG, not sure what powder I'm going with yet, I have 4227, H110, 296, and Lil' gun so I'll be using one of those. Any tips anyone can share, pitfalls and such?

Thanks,

So I finally have gotten around to loading my first small batch of 460 Mag's, When I say small batch I mean 10 rounds. First thing I noticed was resizing the case took way much more force than I have experienced with anything I have reloaded previously, I'm using a Hornandy carbide sizer die but I actually lubed up the cases slightly which helped but is that normal with the 460? (S&B cases).

So now I have case sized and flared, the bullet I'm starting with is a Hornandy 240gr XTP MAG, not sure what powder I'm going with yet, I have 4227, H110, 296, and Lil' gun so I'll be using one of those. Any tips anyone can share, pitfalls and such?

Thanks,
How were the primer pockets on those S&B cases? S&B 44 mag, 30-30, and 30-06 all had really tight primer pockets IME.

I can't remember if those were hard to resize. Being as powerful as 460 is, I can't say I'd be surprised to hear they require significant force to resize.

Stay away from Lil' Gun. I was working up a load with it in .3 grain increments. Everything was fine until I got to about a grain below max and I had to knock the spent cases out of the cylinder with a dowel.

I use H110/W296 for almost all of my 460 and 500 loads.

Stay away from Lil' Gun. I was working up a load with it in .3 grain increments. Everything was fine until I got to about a grain below max and I had to knock the spent cases out of the cylinder with a dowel.

Good to know, thanks EC!

What are you using for primers? Hornandy data calls out large rifle but Lyman data calls out large rifle magnum for the same bullet/powder combo. I don't know why but this round is intimidating me a little LOL!

Good to know, thanks EC!

What are you using for primers? Hornandy data calls out large rifle but Lyman data calls out large rifle magnum for the same bullet/powder combo. I don't know why but this round is intimidating me a little LOL!
i second the question, even may be in this format - what are the specific scenarios to use a non-magnum primer, ever? magnums work better in cold, ignite whole case better - why to even bother with a non-magnum kind?

Good to know, thanks EC!

Winchester primers that are labelled "for magnum and standard loads".

I use IMR4227 and 5744 for 460, it is a fun round to shoot with that powder.

I load 460 mag as well. Kind of a nich cartridge . My 12" S&W XVR seems to do best with the 300 XTP mag. And about 40.6 gr of H110 . I use Imperial sizing wax and it makes sizing the casings a breeze. Your probably going to find the best consistency with the upper end of powder charges when loading the magnum ball powders . H110 and W296 prefer minimal air space to perform best.

Was it factory new brass?

I had the same experience with both .50AE and .500 S&W. I called Dillon because it seemed like I was doing something wrong, and they told me, “yea, new brass is like that in larger calibers. It gets easier.”

They were right.

Lil Gun and 800x my least fav powders. Spikey powders if you test and track velocities. These powders are better suited to fertilize your garden ... ;)

Lil Gun and 800x my least fav powders. Spikey powders if you test and track velocities. These powders are better suited to fertilize your garden ... ;)
Not a surprise on 800x

800x was designed for shotgun loads.....heavy field loads too.... not target.

Thanks,
Are you sure it is a carbide die?

I noticed finding carbide dies for large calibers is very hard ... per another internet forum (this could be BS, I didnt confirm) they are expensive to make, which is why the are so rare.

All my large caliber dies, 45/70, .460 and so on are not carbide.

A quick shot of lube gets the job done. You dont need much. Very little. ONE SHOT works great.
I also use some lyman lube, I forget the name, but put some in a bag, throw the brass in there move it around, then whipe the outside after resizing.

Are you sure it is a carbide die?

I noticed finding carbide dies for large calibers is very hard ... per another internet forum (this could be BS, I didnt confirm) they are expensive to make, which is why the are so rare.

All my large caliber dies, 45/70, .460 and so on are not carbide.

A quick shot of lube gets the job done. You dont need much. Very little. ONE SHOT works great.
I also use some lyman lube, I forget the name, but put some in a bag, throw the brass in there move it around, then whipe the outside after resizing.
They're Hornandy dies, titanium nitride. But again I don't have a ton of experience loading any pistol cartridges over .44 Mag

I haven't even had a chance to light off the ten I made, too damn busy

They're Hornandy dies, titanium nitride. But again I don't have a ton of experience loading any pistol cartridges over .44 Mag

I haven't even had a chance to light off the ten I made, too damn busy
It is a lot of fun. Don't be afraid to shoot cast, unless you want rifle velocities.

I just ordered 500 FMJ from RMR Bullets.

I finally reloaded H110 for the first time last night.

Holy sh*t, I have never seen such a fine powder. That stuff would stick to everything it touched.

But, it is supposed to be awesome, we will see.

It’s mostly an issue with light bullets. Check out some 357s with light bullets on google. You’ll find some nasty forcing cones. I wish I had a pic of a buddies Vaquero. All he shot was H110 and it looked like Swiss cheese. @1919FAN knows about that one.

I’m not sure about how it works in 460 loads but I’ve seen enough damage in 357s to not want to mess with it. 2400 gets me close enough speed wise anyway.

It’s mostly an issue with light bullets. Check out some 357s with light bullets on google. You’ll find some nasty forcing cones. I wish I had a pic of a buddies Vaquero. All he shot was H110 and it looked like Swiss cheese. @1919FAN knows about that one.

I’m not sure about how it works in 460 loads but I’ve seen enough damage in 357s to not want to mess with it. 2400 gets me close enough speed wise anyway.
Interesting. Don't mean to be an a** by asking, but what are light bullets?

Asking because I loaded a bunch with 230g FMJ.
I will be loading some more with 335g cast.

Interesting. Don't mean to be an a** by asking, but what are light bullets?

Asking because I loaded a bunch with 230g FMJ.
I will be loading some more with 335g cast.
Usually 125s in 357 so I’m sure a 230 might be around there in 460. Thank being said all cartridge act differently. Just keep an eye on it

Last edited:
I shot some H110 today.
I noticed with 44 grains, it got everything dirty AF, down the cases, all the way to the rim. Pic below.

But as I increased the charge it wasn't an issue anymore. 45.5 shot great. .

The bullets are .452 230g FMJ from RMR.

Look at how dirty those fired casings are. Some have grains of powder stuck to the side.

20220701_132126.jpg

Back
Top Bottom