Local Knife Shops?

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
If you're like me you like to handle the knife before you buy it...

Have a place where you love to shop for knives locally?
Post it here and tell us why!

~Enbloc

I get (all of) mine from Ebay... [wink] Stoddard's used to be in Boston, moved to Newton, now reported as closed. Guy at work got his kid a nice Spyderco for Christmas at the Natick Outdoor Store. Although this link only shows Benchmade.

Hunting-Knives, Folding Natick Outdoor Store

If you go buy some of these Paring knives: six for $24. Sharp as hell.
40603.jpg

The Army Barracks chain in Massachusetts appears to be a Kershaw/ZT dealer. Anyone been into one of their stores and can comment on their knife selection?

The Army Barracks chain in Massachusetts appears to be a Kershaw/ZT dealer. Anyone been into one of their stores and can comment on their knife selection?

I've been. They have ZT, Spyderco, Benchmade and Emerson along with other flashy $20 junk knives. Selection is pretty good at the one in Saugus and they had no problem letting me look at a bunch of them.

I’ve been in the one on Rte 1 north in Saugus(?), but I was never looking for knives. I drifted by the knife case on my way through the store, and I remember A LOT of knives that struck me as cheap and/or common. I feel like I would have noticed if they had any really high-end pieces. A lot of REALLY shiny steel, looking like imports.

This was awhile ago, though, and just one store.

I asked the guy at work about The Natick Outdoor Store and he said that their website sucks and they have other knives/Spyderco in the store. I went to the Saugus Army Barracks store and they had a lot of knives but they seemed expensive compared to Ebay.

Cabelas has some Kershaw, Spyderco, CRKT, SOG, Buck, and Benchmades. Not all are in the case for you to fondle, but the ones that aren't are in blister packs in a couple of aisles and you can at least see how big the knife is in person. I probably wouldn't pay their retail price on any of the knives.

I hate buying online. Does anyone know of any entity dealing older Al Mar knives in New England? No, not KTP. lol If I can make contact, see what is available, it is worth the drive for me. Thanks.

Matt

Last edited:
they had a lot of knives but they seemed expensive compared to Ebay.

I probably wouldn't pay their retail price on any of the knives.

I opened this thread to help people choose their next knife by handling it first, if possible.
After buying a few items online, not just knives, I've found that even though others like/love them, I wouldn't. Usually because fit or feel in hand.
Some of these items can be fairly pricey. So, I started looking locally and if I liked it I would record the price and then search online.

Most times the online price was better, but not always if shipping/handling was huge.
Sometimes I would go back to were I tried it and buy it. A buck or $5 is not a big deal if you like the shop and can walk out with it now.
Other times, the shop owner/help were dicks, so I bought online without a pause, even if slightly more.

Unfortunately, nowadays the internet can be full of fakes and replicas/copies. Anyone who buys Silver/gold bullion or coins knows this. Spyderco, Buck and Benchmade have had theirs knocked off. Being "stung" can sometimes be avoided by buying from a local Authorized Dealer and can be found on the manufacturer's website.

Hope someone finds use from this thread...

So if you see something, say something!

~Matt

Last edited:
knives @ retail usually sucks.. most people buy junk (so thats what gets put on display) Gotta go online nowadays....

its sad, but true... and i always supported the good knife vendors at gun shows, etc.. but a lot of them are gone now, or a lot of the ones left are selling junk...

Unfortunately, nowadays the internet can be full of fakes and replicas/copies. Anyone who buys Silver/gold bullion or coins knows this. Spyderco, Buck and Benchmade have had theirs knocked off. Being "stung" can sometimes be avoided by buying from a local Authorized Dealer and can be found on the manufacturer's website.
Kittery Trading Post Settles Spyderco Counterfeit Lawsuit | KnifeNews.com
"Yesterday, Kevin Inc., the owner of Kittery Trading Post, settled out of court with Spyderco. In its complaint, Spyderco had alleged that the outdoor retailer sold counterfeit versions of the Spyderco Military and Paramilitary 2."
eBay Settles Spyderco Counterfeit Lawsuit | KnifeNews.com
“eBay Inc. and Spyderco Inc. have amicably resolved, on confidential terms, the issues raised in Civil Action No. 17-cv-01751-KLM (D.Colo.),” Spyderco wrote in a statement after it withdrew its lawsuit against the eCommerce company."

You can't win...

The sad part about KTP is they knew they were copies...

Aaa police in dedham has a good selection. Autos are only sold to le though. Gun parlor has some good benchmades

I went to the Natick Outdoors Store last week to buy a NH non resident 3 day hunting license and noticed a huge selection of knives.
the prices definitely seemed competitive, for example a Buck 110 for $39. They had tons of Benchmade, Spyrdercos and others.
I try to buy all my fishing and hunting gear locally and this store is well stocked.
I‘m really enjoying all the knife threads that have popped up lately. I have more knives than I need and not all ones that I want.

I saw this old thread and thought it would be nice to give a local shop a recommendation, it’s so important to support the local economy right now.

Quick edit; don’t forget to walk across the street to B and K Sales, my favorite gun shop.

Last edited:
If you want to handle a knife before you commit and you don’t live in MA you can just order it from amazon and get free delivery and returns.

What would be cool is if we could do something like a "shoot" but with knives (no danger of missing the berm, unless you're throwing knives ;) )...a lot of us have a fair amount of knives...find some place central (more or less) and bring your knives with you and let those interested in a knife you might have fondle it and check it out. Make it so if you have some to sell, sell it too if you're so inclined.

I went to the Natick Outdoors Store last week to buy a NH non resident 3 day hunting license and noticed a huge selection of knives.
the prices definitely seemed competitive, for example a Buck 110 for $39. They had tons of Benchmade, Spyrdercos and others.
I try to buy all my fishing and hunting gear locally and this store is well stocked.
I‘m really enjoying all the knife threads that have popped up lately. I have more knives than I need and not all ones that I want.

I saw this old thread and thought it would be nice to give a local shop a recommendation, it’s so important to support the local economy right now.

Quick edit; don’t forget to walk across the street to B and K Sales, my favorite gun shop.
Agree Natick Outdoor Store and Cabelas/Bass Pro have a decent number to hold.

Back
Top Bottom