• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

local reporter documents their permit application process

Why do I want to own a gun?

I grew up in Maine with a family that had a lot of guns. My father is a Vietnam War veteran, and my mom is a sixth-generation farmer. I can't imagine running a farm without at least one rifle and one shotgun.

dude came from a free state, well you're in for a surprise here!

here's a little gem from king demoura of fitchburg:

"I will give them a target and hunting permit," said DeMoura. "First and foremost, they just went through a one-day course about firearms, and I just don't feel that they've had enough time to be around a weapon to be able to carry a concealed weapon. My philosophy is that the state law says I have to give them a permit if they qualify -- they don't tell me what kind of permit, but I have to give them a permit. Most of the time I give them a target-hunting (permit)."

or...

"They just want it because it's their right to have a permit," said DeMoura

you're ****ing-a right, and that's the only reason they should give you. in fact, no one should have to give a reason. mini-mussolini. wow.

the article is not bad overall, and i'm curious as to which way it'll go if the guy does a follow-up or isn't put off by all the BS you have to go through to become licensed in MA.

anyway, here's the entire article: Sentinel reporter looks to get an FID card - Sentinel & Enterprise

Last edited:
Upon starting to read, he is going for a Class A - ALP. He just calls it an FID, probably because that's the term he grew up knowing.

the article is not bad overall, and i'm curious as to which way it'll go if the guy does a follow-up or isn't put off by all the BS you have to go through to become licensed in MA.

Wait until he finds out how much selection restrictions there are on new firearms and how much you have to pay for crappy old Glocks in this state.

A lot of people that are first starting out to get licensed only know of an FID card and don't realize that there are three types of firearms licenses. Then, as the reporter did, they tend to say "FID" when they actually mean "LTC".

What clinched it, however, was the way I felt during the manhunt for the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings. I didn't feel safe in Leominster, which is less than an hour's drive away from where the suspect was last seen.

[rofl]!!

Oh no'z, the sheep is more scared by people 1 hour away than being chased down by a gang of people.

I hope this series does well.

But, really to be effective at all it needs to be on TV.

IMO.. What needs to happen is for a TV news outlet to do an "Expose" on the "easy availability of guns" in Mass.. Buying guns off the internet, at gun shows, etc..

yeah, but the other guys had pressure cookers.

yeah.

I love that article. it really is a great example of how much losers people are.

-Getting chased by people, and saying he was "running for his life." - Worth mentioning, but not worth taking steps to arm himself.
-Being 1 hour away from a manhunt from 2 idiots who were trapped ~45 miles from him. - Crossed the line, must be able to defend himself from terrorists bogged down by the light infantry force that had a part of the state under de facto martial law.

I got that correct, right?

A lot of people that are first starting out to get licensed only know of an FID card and don't realize that there are three types of firearms licenses. Then, as the reporter did, they tend to say "FID" when they actually mean "LTC".

Aren't the differences described in the firearms safety course we all took? They were in mine...

he should have kept it under wraps until he was denied

I think you're wrong. He will not get denied and he will not get restrictions because he is a reporter. CoP will do all he can to seem 'cool' and following the law, not wanting to piss anyone off and start a public discussion.

I got that correct, right?

Yeah. You pretty much nailed it.

Aren't the differences described in the firearms safety course we all took? They were in mine...

The reporter hasn't taken the class yet. You can be 100% sure that the instructor will straighten him out on all of this stuff.

Hmmm ...he's (the reporter) associated with the James Randi Educational Foundation, and claims to have an interest in "critical thinking". So far, I haven't seen it expressed in his writing on this subject. As EddieCoyle mentioned, the instructor for his LTC course is likely to take care of that, but you'd think with the resources available to us all these days, he'd at the very least have the nomenclature down. ...from the Clip vs. Magazine Department

I went to lunch with someone from NY last week. He described the process he had to go through to get a carry permit in a supposedly "Lenient" western county. It made the MA process seem like it was NH.

That said I'm sure this will end up nowhere. The reporter will get special treatment now that the cat is out of the bag on his story. He should have waited until the whole process was over.

I sent him a Facebook message, mentioning he's applying for a License To Carry, Class A, without restrictions (LTC-A). I also mentioned to him, that I hope he refrains from mentioning he's a journalist doing an article on this story to the licensing authority (though it may be too late for that).

I also mentioned that Boston will not issue a LTC-A w/ No Restrictions unless you meet certain criteria. I'll let you know if he responds.

I sent him a Facebook message, mentioning he's applying for a License To Carry, Class A, without restrictions (LTC-A). I also mentioned to him, that I hope he refrains from mentioning he's a journalist doing an article on this story to the licensing authority (though it may be too late for that).

I also mentioned that Boston will not issue a LTC-A w/ No Restrictions unless you meet certain criteria. I'll let you know if he responds.

I don't do facebook. Could you direct him to the MA law posting where people are describing their delays? Probably wouldn't be bad for him to browse that whole section. Might open his eyes some.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...764-how-long-did-your-ltc-take-your-town.html

Back
Top Bottom