• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Log book?

How are you guys keeping track of your load data? I was just going to buy a yellow "rite in the rain" book and wing it.

Quick Google showed a few reloading logs, what's New England using?!

I use just a paper notebook too. I will use a different page for different calibers and just note which gun likes what load if there's more than one (e.g. 9mm for pistol and carbine are different bullets & loads). Its nice to just keep it next to my powder scale/dispenser and note the load in it that I just made with a space after it for the results notes. Simple is almost always best.

I made a computer based records log of my firearms years ago. All the information about each one is there including round counts, alterations, an image, serial numbers and so on. There is also a printed hard copy and back up on a memory stick if I should ever blow the hard drive. I duplicated that file and altered it to be a recipe file for each one including a notes section on performance and such. It also has a hardcopy and back-up. After a range session I'l brake down what I used and while the parts are soaking I'll pop primes and either make computer edit and print a new page or just jot notes down on the hardcopy and edit later. Sounds a bit overboard but once it's built, which is the hard part, I'm in, out and done in about 5 minutes.

Three ring binder with flexible cover (makes it easy to stuff in range bag). There are dividers labeled for each caliber. The pages are spreadsheet templates of the data I track.

Composition book.
One for each cartridge I load for.
I write the date and component information.
I leave room for loading notes.
I also leave room for results after testing the load combination.

I generally write up a load once. Then it doesn’t go back in there once I have results. I might re write almost the same load with a little tweak on the next page: OAL, up a tenth of a grain of powder etc.
I might just note that in the results section and leave it there.

Created an Excel spreadsheet with all the information. That way I can sort and view by any variable I want. I've even started to take pictures of the targets by load at the range and use On Target software to calculate groups etc... when I find a load that is "the best" it gets color coded and next time I want to make up some bullets I simply print up the line and that is my recipe card so to speak.

I like the composition books that @headednorth uses. I have one for each firearm I own and log how many rounds I fire and what type of ammo is used, as well as any work done to them, to keep track of things.

I just started reloading, so I'm using the same type composition notebooks for that as well.

I write everything in a spiral notebook sitting on my bench. Most of what goes in there is "200 rounds of 9mm, Primer type, Powder type and amount, bullet", but I also make notes of things like "99 rounds because I did X and it caused a primer to seat crooked" or cadence kind of info which is helpful for a progressive press. It helps keep me from getting a round all the way through with no primer and powder spilling on the floor.

When I was reloading more .223 I'd also keep track of where I was in the 85 step process so when I took a couple weeks between steps I'd know where I left off.

I keep it written on the back of my wrist in ball point pen.
yeah, that's been known to work good also.

those times i don't want to tote a book around i just write the load data on the target and bring the target home. i have binders set up for what i load for and ill trim the target down to fit in those 8.5x11 plastic binder sleeves you get at staples in boxes of 50. now i have any info pertaining to the specific load, gun, weather conditions, etc. and i have the group shot. or, i just keep an index card in the box i tote my reloads to the range in, jot notes there, and come home and put it into my computer notes at my leisure.

with me, my notes are more complicated than most. with ocd, my records are neatly organized and precise. those that enjoy living with it know what i mean, lol.

yeah, that's been known to work good also.

those times i don't want to tote a book around i just write the load data on the target and bring the target home. i have binders set up for what i load for and ill trim the target down to fit in those 8.5x11 plastic binder sleeves you get at staples in boxes of 50. now i have any info pertaining to the specific load, gun, weather conditions, etc. and i have the group shot. or, i just keep an index card in the box i tote my reloads to the range in, jot notes there, and come home and put it into my computer notes at my leisure.

with me, my notes are more complicated than most. with ocd, my records are neatly organized and precise. those that enjoy living with it know what i mean, lol.
My targets come home get jammed on the shelf and after they fall a few times I toss them in firepit or trash

Back
Top Bottom