Londonderry Fish & Game Club files suit against Litchfield Neighbors

On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 The Londonderry Fish and Game Club filed suit in the Rockingham County Superior Court against Litchfield residents Kevin and Janine Anctil of Tanager Way in Litchfield. The suit alleges libel and defamation against LFGC. In its 71 year-history, the filing of this lawsuit marks only the second time where circumstances have been such where legal action was the only remedy. In a press release, Club leadership stated that it is truly regrettable that LFGC was forced to file this lawsuit. Since time immemorial, there have always been neighbors...detractors who disparage the club...The leadership understands that and understands it as a fact of like..."water off a duck's back." Inversely, the Club also recognizes when advocacy is taken to nearly every government agency conceivable with false facts and assertions made of whole cloth and no basis for said assertions, that distinction will be addressed. Attached hereto is the Summons and Complaint for any interested Reader.

Attachments

• LAWSUIT-COMPLAINT.pdf
    989 KB · Views: 69
  • Summons on Complaint.pdf
    694.4 KB · Views: 35
[cheers]

Proud to be a member of a club that stands up for their right to exist without disparaging harassment from antis.

Kudos to the club and membership for setting a precident to not be ongoing abused by antis. In this circumstance whats the clubs ultimate goal as far as a ruling ? Is the club looking for damage compensation or is this more of a case of a simple cease and desist "shut yer anti mouth " ? Defamation cases can be very difficult to prove and im sure the club has documents .

So the club has been there since 1951. The Anctil's have been there since 2013. Amazing in that in over 60 years there were no real issues......yet in the past 8 years the Anctil's have experienced many issues......

Let's hope the Anctil's get a good swift kick in the butt.

Letting accusations of “bullets from the F&G struck my house” stand without challenge only leads to bad things happening later. Sadly, clubs have to pay lawyers to deal with this BS. In the CDCs top 20 causes of accidental death or injury, there’s only 16 causes listed for NH, with firearms and machinery tied for 16th place at a tiny fraction of the top 10. It just doesn’t happen…

I saw LFGC post this on Facebook, but I missed this thread. I had to search to find it.

Good for them. Counter-attack is the only way to deal with economic terrorists.

From last year.

“Londonderry Fish and Game Club chairman Rick Olson says he can’t rule out that the bullets came from his range, but it doesn’t seem likely either. The members who use those long ranges have to be specially qualified and even if any stray bullets did leave the range they wouldn’t get far.

“It would take a clear path, a nice clear path for that bullet to travel,” he said. “There’s a lot of real estate between us and the homes and it’s very forested there.” Whether the bullets are coming from the range or hunters in the nearby woods, those in the neighborhood say they just want this to stop before someone is hurt or killed.”

Same argument at NFGA lost when a 38sp bullet was found lodged in the siding of Camper’s Inn 1/3mi away and over a 400ft tall wooded hill - ballistically impossible. But the club played it safe and shut down practical pistol shooting and re-engineering ranges at great expense.

People “just want it to stop” and want “somebody to do something” to make it stop. Reading stuff like this is why a few on my neighbors worry about me shooting a suppressed 22lr rifle 1/4mi away downgrade into a swamp - a “stray shot” might travel 120 degree to my right, through the trees and hit their house. The chances they’ll be run over by a neighbors kid while walking their dog are much, much greater.

Good on the club.

Reading the complaint, there does seem to be a whole bunch of stray rounds hitting that neighborhood over the years from the nearby areas. I would consider hescos, t-walls, or moving.

This thread reminds me of this oldie but goodie.

iraqi-woman-bullets.gif

Good on the club.

Reading the complaint, there does seem to be a whole bunch of stray rounds hitting that neighborhood over the years from the nearby areas. I would consider hescos, t-walls, or moving.
There is a lot of conservation land surrounding the club and that targets nailed to trees in some of that area in a tragectory towards homes were found in the woods, not on club property. We were told that LE observed this and shell casings, however the trouble-makers living in that area still insist that it is the club causing all the problems.

Karens are everywhere.

This weekend I heard Merrimack (NH) PD send someone out for a complaint . . . someone saw a person pumping gas and he had a gun in his waistband! The horrors.

I'm amazed that they wasted resources on such a call. Every officer I've spoken with from chief down in my NH PD has told me that they assume that 50% of the people they encounter are armed and it is no big deal.

Closest house on that street in litchfield is about 1 mile from the firing line... AND there are powerlines between them. People shooting there?
I've been om the same street for 40+ years, others in the neighborhood well over 50, some approaching 60.
We are less distance between 2 gun clubs. Hear shooting all week. Never heard of anything like that ( bullets in house) around here. One range faces my street, the other faces another neighborhood and a highway.

For years people have said bad things about LFGC... We get it...water off a ducks back and all that. Nobody gets to be liked by everybody. Inversely, We are always approachable and willing to communicate with any neighbor who have genuine concerns, irrespective of who is the cause of that concern. What inevitably happens is we educate them, provide information they don't otherwise have. That is, those who genuinely want answers. What is different here from anything else is the year long campaign the Anctils engaged in, attempting to initiate action by local, county, state and Federal government agencies, but making allegations that have no basis in truth. Pure lies made up out of whole cloth as outlined in our summons and complaint. No club can let that stand. Any club that does will always be the downstream whipping boy for neighbors who want you gone. It is fortunate that the club is in a financial position to confront these liars. What is unfortunate is that the money we spend on this is taken away from resources that would otherwise directly benefit club members.
A clear message is being sent here. If neighbors have concerns and want to engage, we're all for that. If neighbors engage in tortious conduct, we will engage that as well.

From last year.

That was interesting that I had leaders from other clubs reach out with emails and calls telling me I was foolish for talking to the press.

So, in their view it's okay to have a single line narrative of the Karen's out there and radio silence from us.

I would say that Club members, in conjunction with legal counsel needs to be visible and engaged when things like this occur. Be careful what you say and how you say it. If you say nothing of substance at all, seem concerned and reasonable

There is a lot of conservation land surrounding the club and that targets nailed to trees in some of that area in a tragectory towards homes were found in the woods, not on club property. We were told that LE observed this and shell casings, however the trouble-makers living in that area still insist that it is the club causing all the problems.
From approximately 2010 to 2016, Shooting activities have been an ongoing issue in the Musquash conservation land, Litchfield Town Forest and Power Line Corridors. Londonderry even had a couple of special town meetings on the topic and ultimately put restrictions in place that did very little. In 2020, Litchfield prohibited target shooting in the Town Forest. Yet, as recently as October of 2022, Litchfield P.D. responded to the area for shooting in the Power Lines.
LFGC spent ¾ of a million dollars building the 200/400 ranges, with a considerable amount of engineering. The 200 opened in 2017, and the 400 in 2018.

That was interesting that I had leaders from other clubs reach out with emails and calls telling me I was foolish for talking to the press.

So, in their view it's okay to have a single line narrative of the Karen's out there and radio silence from us.

I would say that Club members, in conjunction with legal counsel needs to be visible and engaged when things like this occur. Be careful what you say and how you say it. If you say nothing of substance at all, seem concerned and reasonable
Rick, the problem is that most members of any organization/company don't really know how to handle the inquiries of the devious media and will say something that gets twisted in a negative way. Every company I ever worked for had a rule that all media inquiries should only be referred to their public relations department for that reason. Only if a gun club has a person that knows how to handle the media, then that person should be designated as the spokesperson. You do a good job of this, but not everyone can/will do this without causing inadvertent damage.

When the MSP was doing the big dig at Hopkinton, the president issued a "let me do all the talking" edict (or something similar).

I got my chance ..... I had to choose between "no comment" and "talk the hand" when Christina Hager wanted to interview me. I went with the former since I was not on camera when she asked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom