• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long Gun Classes for Beginners?

CMF

Can anyone recommend any long gun classes for beginners (some handgun experience) within reasonable distance of Boston?

Has anyone taken the Sig Sauer Academy Rifle or Shotgun "Orientation" classes?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what particular aspect of the long gun you are interested in, but you should definitely check out the appleseed program, its one of the best rifle marksmanship programs on the block, and a great deal for the money.

Check out appleseedinfo.org for more details.

Neshooters is running a 2 day intro shotgun class on October 17 and 18, 2009, at Pelham Fish & Game. The course is being taught by Scott Reidy. Scott is a police officer, a nice guy and a hell of a shooter. He also teaches at Sigarms. We consider ourselves very lucky to be able to afer him as an instructor
For info on the course, please go to:
http://www.neshooters.com/2009/reidy.html

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, everyone.

I am looking for a class where I can borrow a rifle or shotgun to use, before I decide what to buy myself.

I'm located in Cambridge.

The Neshooters class might do nicely, but I would be interested in something sooner as well...

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, everyone.

I am looking for a class where I can borrow a rifle or shotgun to use, before I decide what to buy myself.

I'm located in Cambridge.

The Neshooters class might do nicely, but I would be interested in something sooner as well...

NRA Basic Rifle Instructors will typically have a selection of .22 rifles that they teach the class with, and you should be able to get familiar with at least lever action, bolt action, and semi-auto, if not also hinge action and pump action.

It's not designed as an opportunity to demo rifles outside of that. It's designed to teach basic skills. What I mean is that it would be unlikely that you would come across "big boy" rifles in a Basic Rifle class.

There will likely be some NRA Basic Rifle courses at Bass Pro coming in the late spring/early summer, so check in there as the spring rolls on :)

Back
Top Bottom