Long gun transfers in CT

Hello and good afternoon-
Looking for clarification on what’s required- (if anything) for one sibling to give a long gun to another in CT. The receiving sibling currently holds no permit of any kind in CT and will use/keep the long gun at home, for home defense-and realizes it cannot be brought outside of the property. The bestowing sibling is unsure of the specifics on CT DESPP website. It is confusing to the non lawyer types. Is transfer paperwork required for such an act? Both siblings are in their 40’s, so no issues with age requirements.
Any guidance or dissemination of requirements are appreciated.

HI Moto.

For there to be an actual legal transfer, the receiving sibling would need to get at minimum a Long Gun certificate. The good news is the long gun certificate is much cheaper and easier to get than a pistol permit. Its $35 and you can use a CT approved hunter safety course to meet the training requirement.

HOWEVER - and this is HUGE. No licenses of any kind are required to possess, transport, carry, or use in any way a long gun in CT.

So if you were to loan the long gun to the relative indefinitely, they could do whatever they wanted with it. (bring it to the range, hunt, etc).

I mention this because if the desire of the receiving relative is to have something to use in their home for self defense, right away, the process can be as simple as bringing the gun over to their house and dropping it off. Or they can pick it up from you.

A long gun certificate gets you the right to BUY or receive as a lawful transfer a long gun. It has nothing to do with possession.

I'm happy to go on if you have any more questions.

Don

One last thing. If the receiving relative decides to get a pistol permit or long gun certificate, tehy can do the transfer on their own. They need a DPS-3 and a DPS-67, google them and you can download a pdf, fill out the forms, mail them in to where they say to mail them on the form, and call the despp to get a NICS check.

Its actually pretty straight forward as long as you can get through on the phone. Or the Governor hasn't cancelled the 2a on account of weather. (the governor seems to miss no opportunity to send the ladies who do the nics checks home for things like inclement weather)

HI Moto.

For there to be an actual legal transfer, the receiving sibling would need to get at minimum a Long Gun certificate. The good news is the long gun certificate is much cheaper and easier to get than a pistol permit. Its $35 and you can use a CT approved hunter safety course to meet the training requirement.

HOWEVER - and this is HUGE. No licenses of any kind are required to possess, transport, carry, or use in any way a long gun in CT.

So if you were to loan the long gun to the relative indefinitely, they could do whatever they wanted with it. (bring it to the range, hunt, etc).

I mention this because if the desire of the receiving relative is to have something to use in their home for self defense, right away, the process can be as simple as bringing the gun over to their house and dropping it off. Or they can pick it up from you.

A long gun certificate gets you the right to BUY or receive as a lawful transfer a long gun. It has nothing to do with possession.

I'm happy to go on if you have any more questions.

Don
Thanks Don, actually to the both of you. You certainly cleared up any confusion that I had. Again, much appreciated!

You are very welcome.

One correction on my above comment. I read the law and saw a $35 fee for long gun cert and thought. "wow, cheap". But then I want to the actual form DPS-799C and saw at least $82 of additional fees. So its not much less than a PP.

Good afternoon Don-
Sorry to bother again. One more question please?
I now realize that I was incorrect in my interpretation of just what specifically constitutes a “long gun”. I was under my “incorrect” impression that it is a rifle. Lots of my mumbo jumbo nowadays compared to 20+ years back.
Regardless, after being explained the specific features, under CSP definitions, what I thought was a long gun is technically an “other”. Now defined as a pistol grip firearm.
Bizarrely- even though it possesses an arm brace,...(what to me is a stock)
That being clarified, does that change or effect any dynamic that you have provided above? Lord help us.

Thank you-
Moto

I honestly don't know what kind of license is necessary to buy an Other. Give Hoffman's a call and ask them. They sell a ton of Others.

I'm now going to spend 45 minutes reading the relevant statutes. Thanks!!

There appears to be a loop hole that nobody as far as I know appears willing to take advantage of.

Law re long guns changed in PA13-3
(c) On and after April 1, 2014, no person may purchase or receive any long gun unless such person holds a valid long gun eligibility certificate issued pursuant to section 2 of this act, a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28, as amended by this act, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (a) of section 29-28 or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to section 29-36f, as amended by this act, or is a federal marshal, parole officer or peace officer.:

Handguns are unchanged.

There is no provision that I can find that relates to "firearms" and the purchase of them.

So it would appear that an "other" doesn't require any kind of license to buy. (No firearms require a license to possess in CT)

Has anyone else found anything different?

Back
Top Bottom