Long guns in vehicles

kalash

NES Member
I know that loaded long guns are not allowed in (or on) vehicles. Specifically:

"Loaded firearm or crossbow" means a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism or a cocked and armed crossbow.

What if I have a shotgun with nothing in the chamber or mag tube, but I have a shell holder attached to the side of the gun with rounds in it?

I know that loaded long guns are not allowed in (or on) vehicles. Specifically:

"Loaded firearm or crossbow" means a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism or a cocked and armed crossbow.

What if I have a shotgun with nothing in the chamber or mag tube, but I have a shell holder attached to the side of the gun with rounds in it?
My interpretation would be no go.
But I don’t know Maine.

If you mean something like this:
41UPMfCMn0L._SX425_.jpg
I would say that is not loaded. It isn't a magazine, clip or cylinder.
Remember, this isn't MA. [thumbsup]

I don't know if laws have changed. I moved back to Mass from Maine in 2003. during hunting season I kept it in the rack on the rear window of my truck, never a trigger lock cartridges were stored on the buttstock. At that time it's the only place it could legally be. Inside the cab if it was behind the seat it was considered concealed. Probably depends where you live. If I was in Portland it would probably be a no-go.

Maybe this helps?

Laws Pertaining to Hunting Equipment: Hunting Laws & Rules: Hunting & Trapping: Maine Dept of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife

It is unlawful to have a loaded firearm or crossbow in or on a motor vehicle (including trailer, ATV, aircraft, snowmobile, or railway car), unless otherwise specified.

A loaded magazine may be carried in a motor vehicle, but it must not be inserted in or attached to a firearm.

Firearms may be transported in a motor vehicle without a concealed firearms permit provided they are (1) unloaded and in plain view, or (2) are unloaded and placed in a remote secure area (such as a locked trunk) away from the control of the occupants of the motor vehicle.

For the purpose of this law, a muzzleloader is considered to be loaded only if charged with powder, a projectile, and a primed ignition device or mechanism. A crossbow is considered loaded if cocked and armed. Exceptions apply when carrying a concealed pistol or revolver.

What you have there isn't a magazine, so I would imagine its G2G. I do 3 gun up here and I see people with that exact same thing attached to their shotguns getting loaded into the back of the car.

Back
Top Bottom