• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long range rifle suggestions...

It's not the arrow, it's the indian*. Keep your bushy and practice, practice, practice.

*Assuming that it's a decent gun with a barrel that's not cooked.

It's not the arrow, it's the indian*. Keep your bushy and practice, practice, practice.

*Assuming that it's a decent gun with a barrel that's not cooked.

sounds like my weekend! speaking of which, i really gotta go out one afternoon this week when the weather DOESNT look like its gonna suck and zero that new WOA upper.

checked the throat. out almost .060"

Savage makes the 12BVSS. Go to the Savage webpage and have a look. I prefer them to the FP10 as the tupperware stock on the FP is kinda thin and "chintzy". They are very accurate and for a mid-priced out-of-the-box rifle it will likely suit your needs. If you choose this in a .223 chambering, I don't believe they offer it in anything tighter than a 1in 9 twist, so you won't wanna go with any bullets that are too heavy or shoot too far beyond 300 yds. If you want a Savage .223 in a 1in 7, you gotta travel further up the ladder and spend more money. Get one in .308 and you'll have no worries shooting beyond 300 yds, but it will be a tad more expensive to reload.
The 12BVSS is gonna be my next bolt gun
Like PatMcD said, don't be afraid to run out and use that AR15, either.

Gee I really like my Savage stock "chintzy". It is a well made rifle and the new bedding system is wonderful. IMO
I have a 223, and a 308 and my new 308 with the new stock bedding system. I also have a Remington 700 LE. I love em all....

How do people feel about 308 AR's for long range shooting? If gas guns can win at Perry, is there anything holding them back from shooting well at 800-1000 yards?

.... If gas guns can win at Perry, is there anything holding them back from shooting well at 800-1000 yards?

Gas guns have won the over all at Perry in the over the course shooting (200, 300 & 600 yards). However I don't think a gas gun has ever won against a bolt gun at the Long Range National Championship. You can shoot an AR-15 at 1000 yards and compete against others shooting a similar gun, but you typically never see a Service Rifle win the over all in any of the matches. They typically win the category matches.

B

Back
Top Bottom